PDA

View Full Version : Mauresmo injured

Mironia
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:17 AM
Mystery leg problem bothering Mauresmo at Australian Open
2 hours, 52 minutes ago

MELBOURNE, Australia, (AFP) - Amelie Mauresmo is hoping a mystery leg injury will not derail her best ever start to a Grand Slam.

AFP/File Photo

The French fourth seed powered into the last 16 Friday by swatting aside Spaniard Anabel Medina Garrigues of Spain 6-1, 6-2 in just over an hour.

But the 24-year-old French world number four, who is chasing her first Grand Slam crown, suffered a scare late in the second set when she needed lengthy treatment for soreness in her lower left leg.

Mauresmo revealed afterwards that she had been suffering from the problem for a few days and that the nature of the complaint had mystified her team.

"It bothers me a little bit and I will really try to take care of it, but I don't really know where it comes from or what it is, so it's difficult to say," she said. "It's the first time I've had this."

Whatever the problem with her leg, it did not stop Mauresmo from wrapping up victory emphatically against Medina Garrigues, the 21-year-old world number 70 from Valencia.

Mauresmo oozed confidence as she completed her win, sealing victory with a perfectly executed drop shot.

This year's women's tournament has been decimated by withdrawals of top players, with last year's winner Serena Williams (news - web sites), former champions Jennifer Capriati, Monica Seles and Mary Pierce all pulling out.

Mauresmo, who reached the final here in 1999 only to be beaten by Martina Hingis, has acknowledged that she has an excellent chance of breaking her Grand Slam duck.

"This is the best start I've ever had in a Grand Slam," said Mauresmo, who reached the quarter-finals at both the Australian and US Opens last year.

"I'm thrilled with how it's going and my average level of play is going up," she said.

Although Mauresmo has not received the attention during her career of other players on the women's circuit, the Frenchwoman feels she is not far away from the top bracket.

"I think a few things are coming together," Mauresmo said. "I've got the best ranking I've had. I hope it's going to keep going higher."

Mauresmo will now play Australia's Alicia Molik in the next round. Molik advanced to the fourth round for the first time after being Luxembourg's Claudine Schaul.

"I don't think we've every played against each other, but obviously she's playing well," said Mauresmo. "It's going to be an interesting match."

tennnisfannn
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:21 AM
Poor mauresmo, injury never saeems to far away from her. If she is struggling, it is gonna be very tough against molik. Alicia is serving well and hitting quite a few aces.

Trent
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:21 AM
While it's unfortunate for Mauresmo, it's good news for Molik.

Vincent
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:22 AM
Good luck Amelie, Alicia can be dangerous but I would give Amelie an edge.:)

azza
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Poor momo but a yay for Molik as trent sayed :p

LucasArg
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:24 AM
Amelie will reach the semis IMO, I hope this is not a serious injury.

propi
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:32 AM
Vamos Amélie :D I hope she can beat Molic and survive her seeding :D

gossipcom
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:59 AM
Oh bugger, I've got money on Amelie to win the tournament <g>

Harju.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:59 AM
I hope this did not stop Momo to win her first GS.

She's full of confident and I like this :worship:

Allez Momo :woohoo:

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 23rd, 2004, 07:08 AM
Uh huh. I watched the whole thing live and must say that she was moving very well the whole time, even though she disappeared out of my sight for awhile presumably getting the leg looked at (it was very unclear what was going on). Just before that she seemed to lose concentration a bit, though there was no limping or anything like that.

That last shot with which she won was a mixture of fluking it and having very fast reflexes. I don't think anyone believed it when it drop over the net by millimetres. Stylish way to win. :)

Garrigues was very grumpy at the end. She had some close calls that went against her, and Momo had quite a few shots that were a mixture of flukey and brilliant, making Garrigues look almost silly. I assume it was one of those calls that upset her, but she was never going to give Amelie more than a workout today.

Greenout
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:43 AM
Uh huh. I watched the whole thing live and must say that she was moving very well the whole time, even though she disappeared out of my sight for awhile presumably getting the leg looked at (it was very unclear what was going on). Just before that she seemed to lose concentration a bit, though there was no limping or anything like that.

That last shot with which she won was a mixture of fluking it and having very fast reflexes. I don't think anyone believed it when it drop over the net by millimetres. Stylish way to win. :)

Garrigues was very grumpy at the end. She had some close calls that went against her, and Momo had quite a few shots that were a mixture of flukey and brilliant, making Garrigues look almost silly. I assume it was one of those calls that upset her, but she was never going to give Amelie more than a workout today.

I watched the 2nd set too. Wild shot in the ending point wasn't it?

It looked like the calf muscle that was being worked on by the
trainer. Pretty funny, Guga looked to be getting work on his
groin area, and Amelie getting her legs massage.

Isn't the Australian Open suppose to be a family show? :haha:

gossipcom
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:56 AM
And don't forget the back pages of the sports section today with Reid being sick :)

canoe.
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:16 AM
:confused: Is the injury with her leg anything to do with the other injury on her leg?Doesn't she have some sort of clot on the back of her leg or something?

skanky~skanketta
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:21 AM
i hope itss nothing serious. but if it is, its good news for justine or lindsay, depending on who gets through to the semis. juju, hopefully.

Greenout
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:23 AM
I hope not because I'm leaving my Thursday open in the day to
watch AM -vs- NNR-DEN on tv. :)

If NNR-DEN doesn't win the title I hope it goes to Amelie. Lindsay
would be next on the list with Kim last.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:37 AM
Re the supposed clot or whatever, I couldn't see anything wrong with Momo's legs. She looked totally fit and very buff. Was anyone else there, or able to get a good look on the TV? It seems to me that this soreness in her calf is something totally new and that she's otherwise fine.

jenny161185
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:09 PM
I dont think its too serious well hope its not anyway the thought of A Henin H/Davenport /// Mauresmo semi final would be great :)

SpikeyAidanm
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Trent :worship:

Ballbuster
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
she don't play like it.

spartanfan
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Oh crap, I'm picking Mauresmo to take out JHH, if she makes it that far.

Couver
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:39 PM
Amelie :sad: Anyway I hope it's nothing and that they can treat it well. She's been playing so well.

selesfan
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:36 PM
Amelie.:sad:

SerenaSlam
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:55 PM
an injury she hasn't had before? i thought amelie may have had every injury in the book w/ all the w/draws and no-shows she has had. oh well, i really hope this doesn't hinder her performance, b/c right now she is OC! playing very well and everything. keep it up Amelie!

JustineTime
Jan 23rd, 2004, 04:59 PM
WOW! Injury aside, could Amelie have finally gotten her mental act together? Could '04 finally be her breakthrough year?

DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL!!! :mad:

Stay tuned for the sequel to...

My Big Fat Grand Slam Title :bounce: :banana: :bounce:

Too bad they couldn't get Justine to play the sequel! :(

But she's busy filming her latest:

How I Tanked in the Semis To Give My Good Friend Her First Grand Slam Title :eek:

Hmmm...think the title needs some work. :scratch:

;) :p

Sonja
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:50 PM
lmao at JustineTime

and I agree with propi!!

Allez Amélie! You can do it!!!

Kart
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:57 PM
Well she said today on eurosport it's a soreness on the front of her leg that had been bothering her for a few days and she thought it best to get it treated right away.

It's not going to be a clot or anything like that otherwise she won't be able to play.

Amelie get well soon :) - I can't cope with you being injured again :bigcry:.

Greenout
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:24 PM
WOW! Injury aside, could Amelie have finally gotten her mental act together? Could '04 finally be her breakthrough year?

DON'T TOUCH THAT DIAL!!! :mad:

Stay tuned for the sequel to...

My Big Fat Grand Slam Title :bounce: :banana: :bounce:

Too bad they couldn't get Justine to play the sequel! :(

But she's busy filming her latest:

How I Tanked in the Semis To Give My Good Friend Her First Grand Slam Title :eek:

Hmmm...think the title needs some work. :scratch:

;) :p

:haha: Your a Poet!!!!!!!!!!! :haha: