PDA

View Full Version : What are the things that your favourites need to improve badly?

Happy Guy
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:18 AM
Be frank and honest, all our favourite are not perfect. There are a lot of things the players have to change or improve badly, both the skills of playing and maybe the personality. Besides defending our favourites, we DO need to admit their problems or weaknesses. What do you think your favourites need to improve?

I think Jennifer should control her temper on court more and stop bashing at linesmen and the umpire. In addition, she should focus a lot more at the beginning of sets and the improve her ball toss.

What are your thoughts?;)

Zamboni
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Martina should improve her serve, but that's no news ;)
Amanda should just get a few inches taller ;)

wongqks
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Monica to continue work on her conditioning maybe teying to run on high field or something like Martina, she can beat everyone but she really need to learn how to beat 3 top 10 players un a row, if she want a shot at Grand slam

anabel
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:07 PM
Marta should run more and faster, she cant do anything against player who make her move.

Mariajo should improve her mind!! This girl has a terrible bad confidence in herself

Julian
Feb 16th, 2002, 02:31 PM
Arantxa's definitely losing her confidence...which is sad because it is usually her mentality that helps her win through matches. :(

barmaid
Feb 16th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Well, in Martina's case she needs to finish off her opponent when she has championship point on her racquet?? Oh! that nightmare at the AO...will it ever go away??:eek:
barmaid:wavey:

King Aaron
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Jelena needs 2 improve on her on court tactics

n Martina her serve n closing out matches

Ryan
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Martina deifnetely needs her second serve beefed up, and she needs to believe she can win slams again.

Mark43
Feb 16th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Jennifer's ball toss and double faults. Jennifer has a fantastic serve when she tosses the ball correctly and slows down a bit between serves.

Monica's conditioning and her serve should be a huge weapon. I want Monica to look fresh in every 3rd set she plays. She looked great against Venus in Oz!

I always wanted Steffi to crank up her topspin backhand more often (or at least a few times per set!).

joao
Feb 16th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Venus has to cut down those UE ........ but even so, she's doing pretty fine !:bounce:

angele87
Feb 16th, 2002, 05:26 PM
Kim needs to be more aggresive against better players... when she plays against the top heavy hitters she tends to stay back and never come to net...

sartrista7
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:07 PM
Iva - needs to concentrate for whole matches at a time, but REALLY needs to rid herself of those damn injuries. Some confidence would be nice, too.

Lina - needs consistency, which she should find when she plays more tournaments this year. Once she's got back from - yup, you guessed it - her injuries. :fiery:

Elena D - needs a sports psychologist, a better serve, and the self-belief and determination which she showed at the end of 2000 and which she has, unfortunately and hopefully temporarily, misplaced.

Venus - less UEs would be nice. Before, I would have said 'play more tournaments' but she's doing that. :D Good girl.

Mirjana - needs a) a sports psychologist and b) a fitness trainer.

joao
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Hey Sartrista.......good choice for your avatar!!!! I love BJORK!!!!!! I 'm gonna see her in april at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival, set for April 27-28 !!!!:bounce:

veronica
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:37 PM
1.) Venus - STILL needs to keep her service motion in check and serve more consistently. Also continue to develop her volley and netplay. I would love to see her serve and volley one or two points per game. She also needs to work on that forehand - or at least keep it in check.

2.) Serena - Here is where Serena is lacking: Needs big work on her volley. As accurately as she serves, she could also serve and volley a couple points per game. Serena needs help developing alternative game plans when she is behind. Venus has improved significantly in this area in the last two years. Serena also needs more touch in her game. She doesn't have to hit out on every shot - especially when she has an open court. She needs to conserve energy in matches so she lasts longer.

3.) Monica needs to serve more consistently. Her serve is much better this year. She also needs much work on coming in to net. I got so frustrated during the AO match with Hingis when she waited for short balls to bounce instead of taking them early in the air. She expends so much energy setting up the point then lets the opponent back in. She needs to get more fit although she looks so much better.

4.) Alexandra Stevenson - More fit, more fit, more fit. Biggest problem. She also needs to develop a better backhand down the line ala Sampras. I would like her to incorporate more defense in her game - slices, lots of topspin, lobbing, etc and even some angles on the run so she can get back into points more often. So far this year, she is so improved. Like serena she needs help developing plans a,b,c for times when the match is not going her way.

5. Iva - More fit, more fit, more fit. Also her second serve is weak and very inconsistent. Otherwise her problems are mental. At times, she seems lazy and like she is going through the motions. She needs to get focused and hungry.

sartrista7
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:40 PM
joao - I'm sooo jealous of you, I've never seen her live (I've seen PJ Harvey and Tori Amos, so she's the only Goddess I've not been to a concert of). I would have seen her at Covent Garden last year, but couldn't afford it - £75 a ticket :fiery:

Brαm
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Justine really needs to work on her 1st serve!! She always has a 1st serve % of maybe 55 :eek: She also hits more than 5 double faults per match!!

Kim has to be more aggressive when she plays higher-ranked players (e.g. Venus).

Bright Red
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:48 PM
I can't really think of anything to suggest for Venus. Perhaps if she could do something to help prevent injuries. That's about all I can really think of.

RockSteady
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:47 PM
1) Martina - right now, she's doing virtually everything well. Serving better, moving better, mixing it up, etc. In fact, she should have (sigh) crushed Capriati at Oz and if it weren't for her mental toughness would be 15-0 for the season. Her serve should be improved, but right now she is the best player on the tour. (Ask me last summer, and I would have given you a giant check-list)

2) Lindsay - Look, she'll never be fast. But she NEEDS to learn how to play defense. I mean, she easily hits it harder than anyone on tour, but against, say, the Williams sisters, she can't always be the attacker. Sometimes she's going to be reaching for shots on her heels. Players like Capriati never lose pace on the defensive, but Lindsay crumbles.

3) Kim - my God, she overhits way too much. Her US Open match was the prime example. She played someone who could hit at least as hard as her from the baseline, so instead of swallowing that fact and playing 'smart' tennis, she tried to smack the crap out of the ball. Result? Her unforced error count set a friggin' record. All I heard the whole match was "out" "out" "out" "out".

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:56 PM
Rachel McQuillan - EVERYTHING! :rolleyes: I want her to reach Top 50 this year! PLEASE! :)

Mattographer
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Seriously, she need cut less UE's :)

Infiniti2001
Feb 16th, 2002, 09:04 PM
Venus 's first serve , her concentration lapses , and unforced errors could use a little work . She should also scout her opponents, especially those she 's never played:P

Irish
Feb 16th, 2002, 09:39 PM
Barbara Schett - agressive and strong mental game :)

Irish
Feb 16th, 2002, 09:40 PM
Woops, meant aggressive for Babsi.

destructo_girl
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:25 PM
I think Martina is on her way to improving her serve. So hopefully, soon she'll be unstoppable.

At the beginning of the year she was havving trouble closing the match, but I didn't think she had that problem at Tokyo.

I cannot think of anything Martina could improve at, cos she's so damn perfect (in my eyes). :)

JCFan
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:49 PM
Jen needs to keep her concentration and focus throughout an entire match. Sometimes it takes her a set to get going. Or, she'll have a lapse in the second set to push it to three. Most of those times she could've won in straight sets. I'd like to see her be less easily distracted overall. But that is not an easy thing for her to get over it seems.

Also...of course her toss needs work. But I think by solving the focus issue, that would fall into place. She throws the ball all over the place when she is not concentrating. It seems like slowing down helps her (like she did in the grueling conditions of the AO final).

Venus+Serena#1fan
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:47 AM
SERENA- I think the only thing for her to improve on is obviousley closing out matches, but it seems to me like ever since Canada 01 she's pretty much over it.

The other thing would be just a little on her volleys, i think sometimes she rushes to net sooo fast that she runs straight into the ball, takes her eye off it and dumps it into net. Just to watch the ball and prepare more on her volleys.

VENUS- Keeping that forehand in check, and also on her second serve.

SM
Feb 17th, 2002, 01:48 AM
Jelena - She knows what she needs to improve and is doing it. Her serve and court movement have been improved even thought they were already good...she knew she had to up the ante to match the top girls. I think the rest of her game is fine , its true she'd be better if she attacked the net more often but i think thats a natural thing , and if your not comfortable at the net u'll have poor stats there anyway.

Seles - Like Jelena shes been working hard and is the fittest ive seen in ages...but still has room for improvement in the fitness and conditioning area. She has the best ground strokes in the game , but sometimes she struggles with her serve and the ball toss.

Myskina - Needs to improve her temeprament and mentality. She gets easily annoyed and distracted when some things don't go her way which i noticed in her match over Danilidoui at the Olympics where she had an outburst after leading 6-1 , and nearly lost set2......and also at the Aus Open against Prakusya she was up 4-0 playing brilliant and lost that set before regrouping...her ground strokes are fine , julie halard FH and a power backhand , but her serve is too erratic.

Dominikovic - has the talent to be consistently top 50 , needs the belief. When shes playing with that inner belief she's agressive , and a very solid baseliner. When she isn't , its a sorry sight like against Svensson at Aus Open when she was bascially hitting everything mid-court for Asa to pound away.