PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters To Defernd Her Indian Wells Title

lizchris
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Hewitt, Clijsters Set To Defend Indian Wells' Titles
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/HewittballLUM.jpg
Photo By Cynthia Lum By Tennis Week
01/22/2004

Two-time defending champion Lleyton Hewitt, Andre Agassi, Andy Roddick, Roger Federer, Justine Henin- Hardenne, Kim Clijsters, Jennifer Capriati and Lindsay Davenport are among the notable names who have committed to competing in the Pacific Life Open, set for March 8th-21st at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden.
A year ago, Hewitt beat Gustavo Kuerten to win his second straight men's title. Clijsters conquered Davenport to take home the women's championship.

Each of the top 50 players in the ATP Entry System are expected to compete and will earn automatic entry into the newly expanded 96-player Pacific Life Open main draw. In addition, 48 players will vie for 12 qualifying spots, and five players will earn wild card entries into the field.

On the women's side, other top-20 players committing early to the event are such stars as Amelie Mauresmo of France; Anastasia Myskina, Nadia Petrova and Vera Zvonareva of Russia; Jelena Dokic of Serbia-Montenegro; Conchita Martinez of Spain; and 2002 Pacific Life Open Champion Daniela Hantuchova of Slovakia.

"The Pacific Life Open showcases the top stars in the beautiful setting of the California desert," said Charlie Pasarell, tournament director. "This year, fans will be treated to more top-flight action with additional matches being added."

The 48-player women's qualifying draw takes place Monday, March 8th and Tuesday, March 9th, feeding 12 players into the main draw, which opens on Wednesday, March 10th. Men's qualifying begins on the same day with 48 players vying for 12 spots in the main draw; first-round play begins on Friday, March 12th. Both the men's and women's final are set for Sunday, March 21st.

Ticket information for the tournament can be obtained by calling the tournament box office at (800) 999-1585 or by visiting the Pacific Life Open (http://www.pacificlifeopen.com/) web site.

Knizzle
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Morally, I wouldn't want the sisters to return to Indian Wells without bigtime sucking up from IW organizers, but I would sure love to see them surprise everyone by entering late and ripping up the draw. They could really disrupt some players' rankings by playing and winning there.

lizchris
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:17 PM
Morally, I wouldn't want the sisters to return to Indian Wells without bigtime sucking up from IW organizers, but I would sure love to see them surprise everyone by entering late and ripping up the draw. They could really disrupt some players' rankings by playing and winning there.
If one of the Williams sisters play, I think it will be Serena considering she will not play in January and I don't think she will play in Feburary and she needs to play a tournament before she defends her Nasdaq-100 title.

tennisIlove09
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:20 PM
I was thinking that too. Wouldn't it be nice for the sisters to go back? Although, I don't blame them if they don't. They should never compromise to IW, even for rankings.

GoDominique
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:22 PM
Learn typing.

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:26 PM
Yeah...if one of them would be to play I agree that it´d likely be Serena...plus she´s the one who has been the most successful there.

still don´t think the time is ripe though.

Kart
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:31 PM
If they never played there again I wouldn't blame them. If I were either of them I certainly wouldn't.

Still, plenty of other top players will play so hopefully it should still be a great tournament :).

fleemke³
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:50 PM
Justine :D