PDA

View Full Version : Can Vera Douchevina Reach The Top 10?

CJ07
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:01 PM
I just read an article at ******************** (they make some sense most of the time) and Matt Cronin said that he thinks Vera Douchevina will reach the top ten....personally I disagree. Granted she played well the first set against Venus, I just dont know if she can get that high. She doesn't have a weapon weapon, she doesnt hit that hard...but she moves really well, she has nice passes, a nice backhand and returns well. Her serve looks too much like Dementieva's but if she makes some adjustments to her motion it could be a real weapon. Also she's calm on court, doesn't get too frustrated. (Or atleast she didnt that match)

I know you cant really tell all that much from just one match, but I say with the current crop of better Russians and the ones that are coming up, I say she'll peak in the Top 15 at most.

She looks good though :angel:

beauty_is_pink
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:08 PM
she has some nice shots. i hope she gets in the top 10!

Warrior
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:09 PM
Yes, I think she can reach the top 10. But I doubt she can stay there unless she improves that serve.

Deimos
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:11 PM
I'm glad Venus didn't intimidate her too much. But it's quite typical of sportswriters to hype any player who takes more than 4 games off Venus or Serena :lol: It's way too early to tell, and one match featuring a rusty Venus means nothing, really.

Natarajasana
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:12 PM
Just from what I saw during her match against Venus, I would say that she has potential to reach the Top 20.
Further than that - it's a bit too early to tell. At least IMHO.
Hopefully she will reach the Top 10 in the future!
:bounce:

ys
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:12 PM
Gamewise it is not there yet, but the potential is there, no question about it. The question is, what will she develop physically into? What clearly lacked in her game was that masculine sharpness and power in movements that almost all top players possess.

for-sure
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:14 PM
She is only 17...so a lot of things MUST happen before she gets there. She is, no question, very talented and moved beautifully.
Lets put it this way, she has a much greater chance than does Ashley Harkelroad.
Also, lets remember that in another 2-4 years (when Vera should reach her prime) the top 10 and 20 will be a much different place.

for-sure
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:14 PM
I could see her being an Elena Damentieva type player.

CJ07
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:17 PM
well this is all true

the most important thing is that she kept her cool
but she really needs to retool that serve. Its not that bad, its just slow

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:23 PM
from what i saw, Vera didnt play that good either. And I've seen her alot.

She competed pretty good in 1st set though.

She always has problems on her own serve, she's far better on returns than she is on serve. (thats been the case throughout) but she has to pick up on serve)

Vera's very raw, but she's got a good head on her and a solid backcourt game.

7~LV3
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:35 PM
probably at the age of 22...

top ten would probably have..

the Williamses
2 Belgiums
and the Russians

kosmikgroove
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:07 PM
she has great anticipation of the ball and read shots very well. i was impressed at how clean her shots were.

Her serves aren't that great but when they're on, they have awesome placement spin. I'd wager she makes it to the top 10.

goldenlox
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:29 PM
I can see the Elena D. comparison. But right now, Vera is far from the top 10.
If Vera can end 2004 in the top 50, that would make this a good year.

CESSY
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:20 PM
surely top 20

top 10 in 3 or 4 years

ys
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:18 PM
I see nothing similar with Elena D. Elena D. is a power player. Vera D. seems to be a counterpuncher type. I'd rather see a similarity with Myskina's game.

Havok
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:50 PM
top 10, dont think so. top 20

for-sure
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:59 PM
I see nothing similar with Elena D. Elena D. is a power player. Vera D. seems to be a counterpuncher type. I'd rather see a similarity with Myskina's game.

All the Russians seem to serve and hit their groundstrokes the same.

Myskina is really the only unique one.

It is almost scary how Lina K. Elena D. and D-ovina's bodies even look a like!

ys
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:10 AM
All the Russians seem to serve and hit their groundstrokes the same.

Myskina is really the only unique one.

It is almost scary how Lina K. Elena D. and D-ovina's bodies even look a like!
Really? I don't think Sharapova or Kournikova have groundstrokes similar to those you listed.

venusfan
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:11 AM
If Farina-Elia and Sugiyama can reach the top 10 then there is hope for Everyone.

for-sure
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:32 AM
Really? I don't think Sharapova or Kournikova have groundstrokes similar to those you listed.

I ment the three mainly Lina K, Elena D. and D-ovina. (lol)

*JR*
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:43 AM
Funny, he tabbed Vera Z. @ the beginning of '03. Personally I give Vera D. a slight edge ova her, but IMO Viktoriya is the best (ethnic) Russian Vee. (Putin, Vika's WORTH invading UKR for if they won't trade her for Kirilenko)! :devil:

KoOlMaNsEaN
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:35 AM
I dont think she will with that 2nd serve. But look at elena d. so anything can happen

Venus Forever
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:43 AM
I dont think she will with that 2nd serve. But look at elena d. so anything can happen
But see, Elena has huge groundies, Vera doesn't. That's why I don't think she'll make the top 10, or at least not be there for most of her career.

She has movement, and consistent groundies, but not powerful one's. She seems to have a Coetzer style of play, and Coetzer can't cut it against today's players.

I think top 20 is the best she will do, unless she improves the serve, and gets more pop on her groundies.

Keith17
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:10 AM
I don't think Vera D. will ever be a Top 20 player.

She reminded me more Vera Z... a more defensive player, but tries to stay near the baseline. Also, she's not as fast, and has a little less pop in her groundies than Zvonareva. She needs some work on that serve, and try getting some hip rotation.

One positive difference is that Vera D. seemed to be very solid mentally. She was never intimidated by Venus, didn't show any signs of frustration and kept playing her game.

However, it she's going to reach the upper level of tennis, she needs to develop a weapon.

kj-
Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:11 AM
TOP 30 i guess

Daniel
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:34 AM
I think she will be top 10 in 2 years time. her game needs to develop more, specially the serve. :) :)

azza
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:49 AM
No.

Mattographer
Jan 23rd, 2004, 10:52 AM
No, I saw her match against Stephanie Foretz at Sydney and she show lack of impressive to me.

KV
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:05 AM
If Farina-Elia and Sugiyama can reach the top 10 then there is hope for Everyone.Certainly