PDA

View Full Version : Venus May Play First-Round Fed Cup Tie

tennisIlove09
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:22 PM
Venus May Play First-Round Fed Cup Tie
http://www.sportsmediainc.net/tennisweek/GarrisonSMullane.jpg
Photo By Susan Mullane By Tennis Week
01/24/2004

Slovenia will host the United States Fed Cup team on an outdoor red clay court in Portoroz and Venus Williams may make the trip. The tie, scheduled for April 24th-25th, marks the first meeting between the two nations.

In the aftermath of her 6-4, 6-2 second-round Australian Open victory over Vera Douchevina, Venus said she'd "love" to represent the United States in the tie. The U.S., which fell to France 4-1 in the 2003 Fed Cup final staged in Moscow, will be playing its first tie under former Fed Cup coach Zina Garrison, who succeeded Billie Jean King as captain after the final. King will remain with the team in a coaching capacity.

Garrison has until April 14th to select her team and Venus spoke like a player who plans to be on it.

"I would love to come. I think that's one of the highlights of Fed Cup, to go to countries that you normally wouldn't have the chance to go to," Williams said. "So I'm very keen on coming. I'm really keen on supporting the new captain also, Zina Garrison. I'm real excited. She told me she's been there before and it's a beautiful country. I'd like to be immersed in the whole experience, besides of course getting a win for the U.S."

The former No. 1 has been a big winner for the United States in international competition. In her five Fed Cup appearances, Venus has registered an 11-1 record overall in Fed Cup (7-1 in singles, 4-0 in doubles). Her lone loss came in the 1999 Fed Cup Final at Stanford, Calif., where, with the U.S. victory already clinched, she lost to Russia’s Elena Dementieva 1-6, 6-3, 7-6(5).

The Williams sisters led the United States past the Czech Republic last April in the first round of 2003 Fed Cup, combining to give the U.S. team a 5-0 victory in Lowell, Mass. The non-playing members of that first-round team were Meghann Shaughnessy and Alexandra Stevenson. Venus was the first player selected for the 2003 quarterfinal tie against Italy in Washington, D.C., but she was forced to withdraw from that July tie due to the strained abnominal muscle she sustained in the Wimbledon final against Serena.

The United States has claimed a record 17 Fed Cup championships — more than any other nation — since the inception of the competition in 1963 when King represented the nation as a player.

Slovenia's best finish in the World Group competition was the 2003 quarterfinals after a rapid two-year ascension into the elite category and entry into the ITF's top 10 Fed Cup nations. Tina Pisnik, ranked No. 31, 37th-ranked Katarina Srebotnik and 58th-ranked Maja Matevzic are among the possible players represent a solid Slovenia squad.

tennisIlove09
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:31 PM
Would she be able to play the Olympics if she wouldn't play next April?
Considering she played Fed-Cup last year, yes she would :)

Knizzle
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:02 PM
Would she be able to play the Olympics if she wouldn't play next April?

Are you trying to insinuate something??

kiekeboe
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:06 PM
I'm not "insinuating", it's pretty much clear why I asked the question.

I know why ;)

Knizzle
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:06 PM
I'm not "insinuating", it's pretty much clear why I asked the question.

Which means you insinuated it because you didn't actually come out and say that you think that Venus was only playing Fed Cup to gain eligibility for the Olympics.

jrm
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:13 PM
long way until the Fed cup

7~ŚLęV3ń˝
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:27 PM
cant people ask a question nowadays? ;)

hope that she gets to play cuz theres like 4 US players ahead of her...
but.. Lindsay hates clay, but then she could use some practice. Serena would play. Jen might get to play again... Shes only few points from Chandas only a tournament win away from ms Venus...