PDA

View Full Version : did every World No.1 (men and women) bring something new to the game?

for-sure
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:49 PM
I think that every no.1 in the world has brought something new and different to the game, transforming it, or at least having a huge impact on the game...
like I posted somewhere else, the only player that I have felt is bringing nothing new to the game (and will not transform/re-define anything) will be Andy Roddick.

1.JHH: Style, mental toughness, redefined the notion of size showing that a small player can do it all!
2.Kimmy: Speed and a kind heart can send you to the top of what you do! Prime example of a player that cares about others and her association (WTA)
3.Serena: Transformed the women's game into one that required mental toughness/passion/power/brains
4.Venus: Transformed the women's game into one that required mental toughness/passion/power/brains
5.Cappy: Showed that a has-been can become an is-now
6.Davenport: The cleanest hitter of the ball
7.Martina: the original trash talking teen-aged drama queen that helped make the WTA what it is today...and that is why we love her!

Knizzle
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:52 PM
I think that every no.1 in the world has brought something new and different to the game, transforming it, or at least having a huge impact on the game...
like I posted somewhere else, the only player that I have felt is bringing nothing new to the game (and will not transform/re-define anything) will be Andy Roddick.

You should post what you think the last couple #1's brought to the game.

shap_half
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:53 PM
Yes I agree. Roddick is not really offering anything we have not seen before. And neither did Leyton Hewitt.

I'd like to think that all the women have something that is really different from the rest of the game or those who came before her and have occupied the number 1 spot. Lindsay's clean shots, Martina's finesse and court sense, Kim's speed and splits, etc.

Havok
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:56 PM
justine and Kim brought something new and different to the game? yes because defense and variety never existed in the wta:yawn:and i thought this place is a wta forum??? and the Roddick comment:lol: how about the lack of star power on the atp, and he does bring a huge serve, which is controled, and not wild like other monstrous servers

Knizzle
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:58 PM
justine and Kim brought something new and different to the game? yes because defense and variety never existed in the wta:yawn:and i thought this place is a wta forum??? and the Roddick comment:lol: how about the lack of star power on the atp, and he does bring a huge serve, which is controled, and not wild like other monstrous servers

I tend to agree. I don't exactly see what Kim and Justine brought that was new, but that's just me, someone else might see something.

for-sure
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:02 PM
and i thought this place is a wta forum??? and the Roddick comment:lol: how about the lack of star power on the atp, and he does bring a huge serve, which is controled, and not wild like other monstrous servers

I know...I thought it look out of place too...I just could not resist trash dissing Roddick...and RE:Start power...Roddick is being forced into this "star Mode" It does not come naturally like it did for Serena,Venus,Anna and Martina

shap_half
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:04 PM
I think that Justine has definitely brought a new look to the WTA. Justine has an all court game never really seen before incorporating finesse and power into her game. And that is why she's at number 1. You want to say she's not a finesse player, fine. But the many dimensions of her game, more so than ever before is definitely something that is now being forced into the WTA more so than before. Don't agree? Ok.

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:07 PM
As much as I like her, Capriati brought nothing new to the game upon reaching no. 1. She was a sister-clone. Juju managed to mix power and finesse, and Kim was the first to really be able to blend great defense w/ good offense. ASV2.0 if you will. Still, neither was as revolutionary as the others.

Women:
1. Chris Evert--Two-Handed backhand, supreme self-control.

2. Martina Navratilova--Supreme serve, incredible aggression, great volleys.

3. Tracy Austin--Great power and control off both wings.

4. Steffi Graf--Most Powerful forehand ever seen.

5. Monica Seles--Killed the serve/volley game

6. Martina Hingis--Gave a breath of fresh air to what was becoming an increasingly power-bomber oriented sport. By far the best strategist ever seen on tour IMHO.

7. Lindsay Davenport--combined three big weapons (both strokes and the serve) for the first time.

tbc

Havok
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:10 PM
I know...I thought it look out of place too...I just could not resist trash dissing Roddick...and RE:Start power...Roddick is being forced into this "star Mode" It does not come naturally like it did for Serena,Venus,Anna and Martina:haha::haha::haha: you can't fake star power. and he's been the same Andy regardless of his rank and achievements. either you have it or you don't, and he's got it

Keith17
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:11 PM
Roddick did bring something new. No previous #1 truly lived off his serve. The star power argument is meaningless, because American TV can make anyone their star. If they decided to show every one of Ferrero's matches twice, and blab on about him for hours, Americans would think he's hot shit too.

Hewitt brought something too, because then there was the notion that men's tennis was becoming nothing but big serves, and Lleyton proved it wrong.

When Muster became #1, all Americans hated it, and said that clay season shouldn't even count.

I'll say Moya was a #1 player that had no impact... the 2 weeks, or whenever, he was #1.

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:58 PM
I think that Justine has definitely brought a new look to the WTA. Justine has an all court game never really seen before incorporating finesse and power into her game. And that is why she's at number 1. You want to say she's not a finesse player, fine. But the many dimensions of her game, more so than ever before is definitely something that is now being forced into the WTA more so than before. Don't agree? Ok.

Justine does have an all court game, but MOST of the time she doesnīt use it. once in a while she flashes some of it, but most of the time itīs just power-tennis...just as the rest of the tour, only difference: she has one-handed backhand. But sheīs still a VERY good player.

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:00 PM
Venus and Serena: the ability to hit winners from anywhere and to make even a defensive position offensive.

Glenn
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:03 PM
3.Serena: Transformed the women's game into one that required mental toughness/passion/power/brains
4.Venus: Transformed the women's game into one that required mental toughness/passion/power/brains
So Venus was the #1 first and added those elements.
But how can Serena add them again if Venus already did?

Pamela Shriver
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Chris brought plenty of men into the women's game ya know. Navrat brought me into the limelight :p

SJW
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:08 PM
i think each #1 raised the standard of performance required....

until Kim. i don't think Kim and Justine have raised it from where Serena left it :shrug:

SJW
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:09 PM
well actually Jennifer also. that was a "romantic story" really

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:01 PM
1. Martina Navratilova- Brought athleticsm to the game combined with serve and volley.
2. Chris Evert- Brought the use of great groundstrokes on both wings.
3. Steffi Graff- Brought mental toughness to the game and great forehand and quickness.
4. Monica seles- Brought powered angle shots and raised the level of groundstrokes.
5. Arantxa Vicario- Brought the use of great defense in the game.
6. Martina Hingis- Brought finesse combined with natural talent and game variety to counter power.
7. LINDSAY DAVENPORT- Redefined Power by combining Cleanest groundstrokes combined with lethal serves.
8. Venus Williams- Raised the bar of athletism, power game and mental toughness.
9. Serena Williams- Kinda combine what Lindsay and Venus does. maybe not better but she has both.
10. Kim Clijsters- Brought Power and defense combined in the game.
11. Justine Henin- Brought power with finesse in the game.

Jenn Capp? She is still great being number One, but she does not really offer something new. Her forehand? Steffi done that. Her athletism? Williams done that.
I kinda include actually Serena in here, because what she actually does is actually being done by Venus and Lindsay already. Too bad for her, she was born later than them.

RAA
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:12 PM
okay, I have to say that I don't think that kim brought anything new to the game. combining great offense and great defense.. well, Venus and serena certainly did that. I mean I like kim and all.. but not sure really what she added to the game.. speed, defensiveness, great groundstrokes.. all of that was had by V&S, .. steffi.. asv.. similarly, I don't think that jen brought anything really new to the game either.

don't get me wrong, they are both great players in their own right.. but not really trailblazers...

I do think that Justine brought a new level of power plus an all court game..

I think Seles really transformed the game in a major way...

Knizzle
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:15 PM
I think Serena was the last #1 to raise the level of play.

pigam
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:18 PM
OK, to keep it 'simple'. I'll just name *one* thing NEW every nr1 player I've seen playing brought into the game (IMO) .
Graf: attack with a slice backhand
Seles: power to another level
ASV: great footwork/defense
Martina Hingis: court sens
Lindsay Davenport: finishing rallies within 3 strokes (good thing)
Jennifer Capriati: Persistance
Venus Williams: Best movement ever on a tenniscourt
Serena Williams: able to hit winners from evey single position she's in
Kim Clijsters: suppleness (?) that brought defense to another level
Justine Henin: absolute focus and tunnelvision

SJW
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:19 PM
this is the way i see it:

Martina-athleticism->Evert-groundies...had a double hander. was this the start of a new trend?->Steffi-forehand and footwork-->Monica-extreme power-->ASV-defense-->Martina-twisting opponents into knots. smart tennis-->Linzi-clean hitting-->Venus-power+athleticism-->Serena-power+athleticism+ruthless attitude.

Ryan
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:20 PM
Kim was the first player to become #1 without winning a slam. Like it or not, it is something NEW she brought into the game.:)

pigam
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:28 PM
i think each #1 raised the standard of performance required....

until Kim. i don't think Kim and Justine have raised it from where Serena left it :shrug:
I see it like this: there is a difference between 'bringing the game to another level' and 'adding something new'.
I think every nr1 player adds something to the game in one way or the other, cuz no matter what, you need that something extra (being able to play a lot of matches, e.g. could be such a thing)

SJW
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:31 PM
well it could be argued that every player in the rankings adds something to the game then :confused:

pigam
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:37 PM
well it could be argued that every player in the rankings adds something to the game then :confused:
Sure ;)

RAA
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:44 PM
Kim was the first player to become #1 without winning a slam. Like it or not, it is something NEW she brought into the game.:)
well, although I think you mean this as a dig.. it did get me thinking that kim really did bring a level of consistency to the game.. that has not really been seen before..
but wait, that is not true either cuz steffi was consistent as hell too. and monica..

also, I know that Kim added the splits to the defensive equation.. but lets not forget ASV.. she was a helluva defensive player too. and managed to win a few slams along the way...

kosmikgroove
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:58 PM
Roddick did bring something new. No previous #1 truly lived off his serve.

HUH?? Pete Sampras lived and died by his serve / volley. But hello, his nickname was Pistol Pete and his serve is what kept him on top. NOt his groundstrokes. he had good passing shots but he switched from a 2-handed backhand to a 1-handed backhand fairly late. This led his backhand to many errors and inconsistency.

Sorry but living off your serve (on the mens side) has already been done and Andy is just yesterday's news. just because he's dating a pop star and appeals to a lot of girls doesn't mean he's brought anythign new...

kosmikgroove
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:01 PM
and just a question....we've only had 13 #1's right? after 300 years, assuming we haven't destroyed ourselves and tennis still exists... how much "newness" can you bring? i think that's an awful lot of pressure for every #1 to add something different to the game.

to be #1 you don't have to add something new. just beat the rest!

CapFan#1
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:03 PM
1. Martina Navratilova- Brought athleticsm to the game combined with serve and volley.
2. Chris Evert- Brought the use of great groundstrokes on both wings.
3. Steffi Graff- Brought mental toughness to the game and great forehand and quickness.
4. Monica seles- Brought powered angle shots and raised the level of groundstrokes.
5. Arantxa Vicario- Brought the use of great defense in the game.
6. Martina Hingis- Brought finesse combined with natural talent and game variety to counter power.
7. LINDSAY DAVENPORT- Redefined Power by combining Cleanest groundstrokes combined with lethal serves.
8. Venus Williams- Raised the bar of athletism, power game and mental toughness.
9. Serena Williams- Kinda combine what Lindsay and Venus does. maybe not better but she has both.
10. Kim Clijsters- Brought Power and defense combined in the game.
11. Justine Henin- Brought power with finesse in the game.

Jenn Capp? She is still great being number One, but she does not really offer something new. Her forehand? Steffi done that. Her athletism? Williams done that.
I kinda include actually Serena in here, because what she actually does is actually being done by Venus and Lindsay already. Too bad for her, she was born later than them.

To be fair, Jenn got to #1 before Serena and Venus did so, using what you said above, she brought the level of athleticism to the #1 position before V+S.... Really, Monica and her ushered in the current level of power tennis that rules the sport. .......also the story of her comeback taking her to #1 is unique and has never been done before, or prob. will ever be done again. She brought persistence to #1! :bounce:

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:06 PM
To be fair, Jenn got to #1 before Serena and Venus did so, using what you said above, she brought the level of athleticism to the #1 position before V+S.... Really, Monica and her ushered in the current level of power tennis that rules the sport. .......also the story of her comeback taking her to #1 is unique and has never been done before, or prob. will ever be done again. She brought persistence to #1! :bounce:
Stand corrected, I forgot that she was number one first. But I still think that the williams athleticsm is already there even when they are not number one yet.

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:08 PM
Plus I think that even when the Williamses werenīt no.1, they were better at everything Jennifer added...they play the power-tennis better than Jen imo.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:09 PM
The ATP does not lack star power. If Roddick was from Agentina and didn't have marketting coming out his ass, nobody would care about him. He's no more interesting or "star" worthy than any of the other guys.

Crazy Canuck
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:10 PM
I know...I thought it look out of place too...I just could not resist trash dissing Roddick...and RE:Start power...Roddick is being forced into this "star Mode" It does not come naturally like it did for Serena,Venus,Anna and Martina
Ooohhhhh, I agree again!

He does appeal to some people naturally, but his "star" is growing because he has marketting come out of his ass, like I already said.

CapFan#1
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:14 PM
Plus I think that even when the Williamses werenīt no.1, they were better at everything Jennifer added...they play the power-tennis better than Jen imo.

At the time Jen was #1, I think Venus was better, but not Serena.... not yet, anyways........Jen ran off 4 striaght wins over Serena during that period of her assent to #1, includeing 2 at the majors.........

None the less, everyone has brought something new to the #1 position. Jen proved that you could rise above your own personal demons and become the best at what you do through sure will power... her comeback transcends all sports stories.... it is a triumph of the human condition!

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:16 PM
At the time Jen was #1, I think Venus was better, but not Serena.... not yet, anyways........Jen ran off 4 striaght wins over Serena during that period of her assent to #1, includeing 2 at the majors.........

None the less, everyone has brought something new to the #1 position. Jen proved that you could rise above your own personal demons and become the best at what you do through sure will power... her comeback transcends all sports stories.... it is a triumph of the human condition!

True that. Some those victories are even more special, arenīt they?!

jenny161185
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
I agree Jennifer did bring something special to being number - she conquerred her mind and the press for someone who started as pro at 13 to take years off the game and get to number one in the world at 25 is something different. Though I think everyone brings something new ^^^^^ Most stated in above posts :)

Havok
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:52 PM
Ooohhhhh, I agree again!

He does appeal to some people naturally, but his "star" is growing because he has marketting come out of his ass, like I already said.yes keep telling yourself that Rebecca. note how the other americans don't have the star power as Andy does, it's because they don't got it:wavey: and the fact that magazines and talk shows, etc WANT him on their show is telling of his "star" power, and he's got it more than others do:p

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:57 PM
federer will be the first player to have "it all, anyway he wants it." i've never seen any man win points at such will and in such a variety of ways. truly amazing.

Sam L
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:00 AM
NO!

But every ALL-time great did bring something new to the game:

Suzanne Lenglen: popularity of women's tennis, lighter more comfortable clothing and creativity and flair on court.

Helen Wills: the power game. (yes, folks, she was THE original power babe)

Maureen Connolly: the teen-sensation and the consistency from the backcourt game. Though Wills did establish this a lot too, but Connolly was even more consistent. And that she was sooo small.

BJK: Pure serve and volley and establishment of women's tours etc...

Navratilova: Gym training, off court fitness.

Evert: popularity, glamour, fashion and of course the two-handed backhand.

Graf: reliance on a single indomitable weapon (the forehand), fitness and speed.

Seles: double-handed on both sides.

bandabou
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:07 AM
federer will be the first player to have "it all, anyway he wants it." i've never seen any man win points at such will and in such a variety of ways. truly amazing.

Yep....Fed is good, real good! He and Marat....are the most talented out there.

Volcana
Jan 23rd, 2004, 12:08 AM
I don't think ANY of the #1's listed brougt anything new to the game. In some cases, they brought certain aspects of the game to another level, but there was a margaret Court long before there was a Lindsay Davenport. There was a BJK long before there was a Martina Hingis. There was a Martina Navratilova long before there was a Serena Williams. Before Chris Evert, virtually everyone on tour had a one-handed backhand. It's not exactly new.

As an attempt at a backhanded diss of Roddick, this thread is pathetic.

Diya
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:18 AM
I don't think ANY of the #1's listed brougt anything new to the game. In some cases, they brought certain aspects of the game to another level, but there was a margaret Court long before there was a Lindsay Davenport. There was a BJK long before there was a Martina Hingis. There was a Martina Navratilova long before there was a Serena Williams. Before Chris Evert, virtually everyone on tour had a one-handed backhand. It's not exactly new.

I don't think anyone was /had playing/ played the kinda game Monica played when she started out

Stefwhit
Jan 23rd, 2004, 01:46 AM
Chris- With her two-handed backhand she brought control and accuracy into her baseline style of play.

Tracy- Nothing new in the style of Chris

Martina- Brought forth a level of athleticism never seen before and combined that with her Serve&Volley aggressive style of play.

Steffi- First to incorporate aggressive baseline style of play, particularly on the forehand side. Never before had a players game been revolved around a single shot- so much so she would run around her backhand (first to do that with the regularity that she did it with).

Monica- First to incorporate aggressive baseline style of play off both sides relying of accute angles and heavy groundstrokes.

Aranxta- Pioneer in relying on defensive play (and retrieving pottential winners) to win matches

Martina H- All court game with some power (backhand down the line,) and a lot of finess. Her style of play revolved around the basics and constructing points which centered around her keen sense of anticipation.

Lindsay- (Nothing new played in the "style" of Monica)

Jennifer- Nothing new...in the style of Monica

Venus- The first to turn defensive shots into offensive shots relying on her athletecism, speed, and power.

Serena- I want credit Serena for being a pioneer cuz what she does others have done before her, it's just that the level at which she executes her style of play is at a level never seen before.

Kim- nothing new.... she's like a combination of Aranta and Venus (her ability to defend and retrieve and her ability to turn defensive play into offensive points..)

Justine- nothing new.... she's like Hingis but with a more aggressive style of play

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 23rd, 2004, 03:48 AM
Chris- With her two-handed backhand she brought control and accuracy into her baseline style of play.

Tracy- Nothing new in the style of Chris

Martina- Brought forth a level of athleticism never seen before and combined that with her Serve&Volley aggressive style of play.

Steffi- First to incorporate aggressive baseline style of play, particularly on the forehand side. Never before had a players game been revolved around a single shot- so much so she would run around her backhand (first to do that with the regularity that she did it with).

Monica- First to incorporate aggressive baseline style of play off both sides relying of accute angles and heavy groundstrokes.

Aranxta- Pioneer in relying on defensive play (and retrieving pottential winners) to win matches

Martina H- All court game with some power (backhand down the line,) and a lot of finess. Her style of play revolved around the basics and constructing points which centered around her keen sense of anticipation.

Lindsay- (Nothing new played in the "style" of Monica)

Jennifer- Nothing new...in the style of Monica

Venus- The first to turn defensive shots into offensive shots relying on her athletecism, speed, and power.

Serena- I want credit Serena for being a pioneer cuz what she does others have done before her, it's just that the level at which she executes her style of play is at a level never seen before.

Kim- nothing new.... she's like a combination of Aranta and Venus (her ability to defend and retrieve and her ability to turn defensive play into offensive points..)

Justine- nothing new.... she's like Hingis but with a more aggressive style of playLindsay is the ball best striker so far!!!!! everybody is attesting to that.
Her groundstrokes are combined power, deep and angled when needed.
She is the only player who finishes the points most in 2 to 3 strikes from the baseline. Plus she combined those with lethal serves. She was the best server in the game until Serena came and equalled it.
Thats what new that brought her to number ONE position.