PDA

View Full Version : US Will Play First 2004 Fed Cup Tie On Clay In Slovenia

lizchris
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:09 AM
Updated: 10:18 PM EST
U.S., Slovenia Will Meet on Slovenian Clay

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. (Jan. 21) -- The U.S. Fed Cup team will play its 2004 Fed Cup first-round match in Portoroz, Slovenia, on clay.

The April 24-25 matches will be the first Fed Cup meeting between the United States and Slovenia. As host, Slovenia was allowed to choose the surface.
The best-of-5 series, announced Wednesday by the International Tennis Federation and U.S. Tennis Association, will mark Zina Garrison's debut as the American team's captain.

She replaced Billie Jean King last month and has until April 14 to announce her roster.

The United States lost the 2003 Fed Cup final to France.

01/21/04 21:05 EST

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press

Jorn
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
The US is going down on the clay! ;)

j/k it will be tough for Slovenia to win.....

mboyle
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Capriati might come back. So, Davenport, Capriati, Seles, and Rubin should be way more than enough to go 5-0 vs. Slovenia. Sorry, but we could win that one w/ Raymond, Shaugnessy, Stevenson, and Frazier:o .

lizchris
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:45 PM
Don't forget the Williams sisters. If they don't have tournaments scheduled for the week before or the week after Fed Cup, they might play.

jrm
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:49 PM
I think USA will have to settle with Raymond, Shaughnessy and Stevenson again or do you really expect all the top American players to be in Portoroz?

esdee
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:07 PM
Does anyone know how far it is (and how easy) to travel from Venice to Portoroz?

Keith17
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about that...

Pisnik and Srebotnik are both Top 40 players that could easily take out any American that is not Venus, Serena, Capriati or Davenport.

SJW
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:13 PM
i would love to see a team with

Serena
Venus
Capriati
Davenport
plus one other :hearts:

but that won't happen. if they're going in ranking order, i doubt Serena will play if Venus doesn't go too. and if they do go, then you've got 4 big time singles players competing for the chance to play 4 singles ties. it just won't work