PDA

View Full Version : Vera D..the female Marat!

Greenout
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:28 AM
Oh my God! This girl was awesome against Venus. She hits like
a female Marat. A little stiff and some of the serves were wonky;
but she is top 10 material.

17 yrs old, and was as cool as ice on center court. She hit some
very slick passing shots against Venus. The scoreline didn't reflect
the real classy nature of this youngster. I was impressed. During
some of the rallies in the first set it was a real slugfest. Vera even
:haha: charged net against Venus. How many players could work
up the courage to hit a return off one of Venus's big serve, then
charge net to finish it off with a volley? Ok, she missed;but
still. :eek:

This kid is my pick as the revelation of AO 2004.

Come on Vera!!!

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:31 AM
thats how Vera normally plays ;)
she's best on her returns but she hadnt played many big matches, so got some way to go.
I havent seen this yet, no thanx to Henman :fiery:

Greenout
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:37 AM
Eggy. Is she always like this? Impressive. The passing shots were
what really woke me up. You just don't see stuff like that against
Venus everyday? Venus held her service game by really winding
up bombs because Vera couldn't be blown away on her average
speed; but I think the charging net thing even surprised her. :haha:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:41 AM
Vera doesnt charge net too often but she can do it. normally she's good enough with her back court game, but when you got to change it up, she's capable.

Greenout
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:43 AM
She had a load of YONEX sticks and a cap; but not the shirt or skirt?
I bet she'll have a clothing sponsor by the end of dinner tonight. :lol:

harloo
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:46 AM
Well IMO every player should go into matches with that mentality that they can win and we might get some entertaining matches.

I'm glad Venus got through that one.:)

Greenout
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:47 AM
Did you watch this match yet? Harloo?

It wasn't one of those "i hope i can, i hope i will" put on a brave
face match. No. This kid Vera has a huge game, poise and
looks as if she knows what her future will be. She didn't even
wince or act like it was "the Venus" Williams across the
net.

justine&coria
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:57 AM
Yeah, if she improves she can be a great player !
She has a great crossed-court backhand : she found some wionderful angles today ! And I like when she comes to net when a ball is high, and hits it without letting it bounce !

But, we have to admit that Venus wasn't playing good too ! She had so many UEs !

And I don't see why you made the comparison with Safin : sorry!

Cujo
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:03 AM
Vera seems pretty cool, she is hitting a lot of balls short, which venus attacked with the running backhand, i like how she tries to charge the net.

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:04 AM
Momo is the female Safin!

Mind you, Vera Douchevina is going to be a helluva player when she grows up.

I wonder whether Channel 7 showed it at all. I've about given up on seeing a women's match that doesn't involve an Aussie goil.

Greenout
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:06 AM
She her on court form reminded me of Marat. Thank God she doesn't have
any of his angst! :haha: No I made this remark based on her court
agility, 2 handed backhand stance, and height.

:)

Greenout
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:09 AM

I wonder whether Channel 7 showed it at all. I've about given up on seeing a women's match that doesn't involve an Aussie goil.

Ok. :) I always considered Amelie the female Cedric Pioline, minus
the marathon matches. You could always tell how long Pioline played
by seeing at what stage his "5' O clock shadow" was at. ;)

Infiniti2001
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:10 AM
You poor thing The Leopard :sad: Meanwhile I think Vera is very fiesty, her serve is good , but she can't be compared to Marat Safin in anyway:tape:

Dawn Marie
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:11 AM
Imho she IS NOT all that and like many Russians at the moment is just being over-rated by many.

ys
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:46 AM
What was good about Vera's performance was that she handled the occasion beautiflly. But other than that, her game was nothing extraordinary. she played a player who was expected to play much better than she did. Vera could and should have done better than that. Venus is definitely quite out of form. She is noticeably slower than she used to be. Venus of old would have won it at least 2 and 1. My prediction was that Venus is going to win the whole thing. I am really starting to have some second thoughts about that now. The way she looks right now, The Cheetah is going to blow her off the court. If Kim won't do that two days earlier.

Vincent
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:50 AM
I hope she is not being overrated as I have never seen her play, I would love to see her play one day!
Good Luck!

Mitch01
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:52 AM
Honestly, I wasn't that blown away overall by Vera's game. She showed flashes of brilliance that hint of great potential, but Venus was playing completely average and still won it comfortably. I was most impressed by how Vera came out in the first couple of games and won her serve easily, she showed some good nerve throughout the match and didn't seem fazed. It was a very respectable showing by Vera - decent, not great - I look forward to seeing her play again once she has some more experience under her belt.

Freewoman33
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:55 AM
Wishful thinking

Randy H
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:57 AM
What was good about Vera's performance was that she handled the occasion beautiflly. But other than that, her game was nothing extraordinary. she played a player who was expected to play much better than she did. Vera could and should have done better than that. Venus is definitely quite out of form. She is noticeably slower than she used to be. Venus of old would have won it at least 2 and 1. My prediction was that Venus is going to win the whole thing. I am really starting to have some second thoughts about that now. The way she looks right now, The Cheetah is going to blow her off the court. If Kim won't do that two days earlier.
I agree - Wasn't *that* impressed with Vera's game (though I am sure there is still lots of time to improve on things), but was mainly impressed by the composure and maturity she was able to display in such a potentially intimidating situation for many players especially with inexperience on the big stage. Still needs to work on those groundstrokes a bit (really don't like the look of her forehand), and the serve is going to need a bit more on it probably, but still a pretty good effort given the occasion and she seems to have good movement and anticipation.

LucasArg
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:58 AM
Vera has an exellent backhand, she made a lot of great winners. Of course that is not enough to beat Venus, but I think she is really talented. She needs more experience.

Greenout
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:00 AM
Maybe if I didn't post this before you people actually watched it
your reactions would be different, if you didn't already know
the scoreline or what was about to happen on the next point.
It's different watching an event "live" and seeing things unravel.

Your all saying that she wasn't that great because you know
that Venus has already beaten her.

:)

jdog3008
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:02 AM
Um, Dinara is the female Marat. :angel:

ys
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:03 AM
What was also interesting is that the girl definitely has a good taste for nice angles off both wings. I haven't seen someone so keen for that kind of shots for quite a while. But for that kind of shots she had a wrong customer across the net today.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:39 AM
I don't know about this girl but in my opinion generally Russian girls are overrated, at least on this board. Before I first saw Petrova, Zvonareva, Kuzunetsva and Sharapova, I had heard loads of great things about the way they played but after I actually saw them play, I wasn't all that impressed and didn't see anything spectacular in their respetive games. I don't think the Russian girls will be dominating the tour in the near future. There must be something in their rise but then none of them is really looking as promising as to challenge the Williams sisters or the Belgians or even Davenport. I'm starting thinking I should cover my ears when ppl talk about Russian girls these days.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Ok. Whatever...(get's first class plane tickets out of Moscow and
back to Belgium)

;)
What the hell is that supposed to mean?:confused:

SerenaSlam
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:51 AM
she miss hit a lot of balls in my opinion. and her serve is just out of control. i see no positive in the entire serve. she has good placement yeah, but i see no good coming out of the serve.

Venus Forever
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:53 AM
I wasn't that impressed.

I don't think she'l be as good as Dementieva and Myskina, or even get to where they are. Top 20, probably, but top 10?? I don't think so.

Roddick_tease
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:14 AM
Eh. She was consistent with a nice backhand, but the forehand and serve were terrible. If she improves those two problems, she'll score a few big wins here and there.

caseyl45
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:20 AM
She made a good effort. Anytime you can put up a score like that on a stadium court against a player like Venus Williams, you should be fairly satisfied with your performance. It's true that Venus didn't play her best, but it was still up to Douchevina to take advantage of it, and she did. She obviously has some things she needs to work on, but she seems to have a good temper, and that will help her in the future.

With some players, you can just tell that they're going to be great. I don't know that Douchevina has that something special that would make her a truly elite player, but I think that she'll be a very good player.

GoGoMaggie
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:55 AM
She made a good effort. Anytime you can put up a score like that on a stadium court against a player like Venus Williams, you should be fairly satisfied with your performance. It's true that Venus didn't play her best, but it was still up to Douchevina to take advantage of it, and she did. She obviously has some things she needs to work on, but she seems to have a good temper, and that will help her in the future.

With some players, you can just tell that they're going to be great. I don't know that Douchevina has that something special that would make her a truly elite player, but I think that she'll be a very good player.
Venus wasn't at her best and Vera took advantage of it yet managed to lose easily. I wonder what a talent this girl is.:devil:

Melly Flew Us
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:10 AM
Venus is definitely quite out of form. She is noticeably slower than she used to be. Venus of old would have won it at least 2 and 1. My prediction was that Venus is going to win the whole thing. The way she looks right now, The Cheetah is going to blow her off the court. If Kim won't do that two days earlier.
i couldn't work out who was supposed 2 b as fast as a cheetah.

neway maybe i didn't pay attention b4 but vee tore around the court like a hare during her 1st round match. and even though i only saw the last 5 mins of the 2nd rd, she still looked fast.

Chance
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:22 AM

Don't forget "Aussie Kim"...

Hope they televise it later on in the night.

cool bird
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:32 AM

Im not sure i agree with you about Venus being slower. The match on monday proved to me that Venus is still the fastest player out there (as well as Serena).
Venus of old prob would have made 24 ufe in that match. But 16 is good for her. with the sort of power she hits with. I have not seen the match but i read the interview and it did sound as if Venus was not going out there to win 61 61 but to test her game. And it seems as if she Passed

Venus Forever
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:45 AM
I think Venus was slower, not because she has lost speed, but rather indirectly because of the ankle. Since she hurt it in her first match, I think she has become a little cautious about the way she moves on the surface, and doesn't want to take any wrong steps or turns. She's just being cautious.

tennisIlove09
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:48 AM
I was impressed. She found some great angles off that backhand. Her second serve was the killer though.

Fantastic
Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:52 PM
I thought Momo was the female Tommy Haas? :confused: They have the same clothing sponsors, use the same racquets, look similar to each other, and they both like GIRLS! ;)

cool bird
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:16 PM
I thought Momo was the female Tommy Haas? :confused: They have the same clothing sponsors, use the same racquets, look similar to each other, and they both like GIRLS! ;)

:lol: :lol: :worship: :worship:

TennisHack
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:30 PM
Isn't Vera D only like 14 or 15? That was a great result against Venus (and to get there in the first place!). I was most surprised by the fact that she broke Venus's serve in the second set :eek: Of course, watching a scoreboard is different from watching the match itself, but all signs point to good things for this girl. She was the runner-up for the RG girls singles title last year.

goldenlox
Jan 23rd, 2004, 08:33 PM
Vera turned 17 in October. She's getting better, but still has a long way to go.

TennisHack
Jan 23rd, 2004, 09:14 PM
Thanks, goldenlox. That's still pretty young and pretty impressive :)

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:39 PM
I think Venus was slower, not because she has lost speed, but rather indirectly because of the ankle. Since she hurt it in her first match, I think she has become a little cautious about the way she moves on the surface, and doesn't want to take any wrong steps or turns. She's just being cautious.

BS! Venus played well but Vera played smart!

Harkleroad kept hitting those semi powerful shots of hers into the baseline, which Venus took adavantage of, as she started mowing HErkleroad down like a battering ram. All she had to do was bomb 2 or 3 into the middle and she'd get a shorter return, to blow away into the other side because Harkleroad was still lying on the floor recovering from the beatdown :o That reminded me of the Venus matches from 98-99-00 when it was just power. But that was due to HArkleroad's inability to change tactics. She should know she can't hit like that against her.

Vera D hit like VEra Z at 2002 FO. short powerful shots into the right left and center :hehehe: Venus can't attack because she needs to be given high bouncing shots into the baseline to start wearing down the opponent.

Vera D has got a great game, and specially a great BRAIN. She is cold as ice as well. She didn't give a shit about Venus ugly face that she puts on when opponents trouble her, during court changes and time outs. :hehehe: I just remembered why Venus annoyed me in the past: she tries to intimidate little girls and beats them up like a wrestler, and in the end waves like one of those retarded Misses USA, jumping up and down :rolleyes: Please!

Venus Forever
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:46 PM
I was talking about speed, not about being wrong footed, and whether Vera was playing smart tennis or not.

Venus looked slower, you know, like running left to right, then usual. I believe that it was because of her injury, and her fears of the surface.

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 23rd, 2004, 11:57 PM
I was talking about speed, not about being wrong footed, and whether Vera was playing smart tennis or not.

Venus looked slower, you know, like running left to right, then usual. I believe that it was because of her injury, and her fears of the surface.

What speed? She didn't have to run a lot! Most of the times she just got wrong footed a lot and then she didn't have a clue on where the ball was heading to. That makes the job difficult even if you run like hell. She did have to run when Vera hit those angles, but she didn't get to those in time because she was probably thinking "better not move 'cause she's going to wrong foot me again". She did get to a few great shots of Vera just to deny her a winner on the stats. She as done it in the past. The way she hits the ball seems like she just wants to touch it and make it count as an error when a normal player would just let the opponent get away with it 'cause there's now way in hell she'd hit the ball back

kosmikgroove
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:30 AM
I was extremely impressed. To get an ace going at 89 mph shows she's got really really good control of the ball. Her placement and slice on her serve is just absolutley incredible.

She was making a lot of unforced errors when she got frustrated so I think when she gets her confidence built up a little bit more and little more experience she'll definatley be a top 10 contender.

Her junior's performance was very impressive too. Great talent, nice hands (control), and counterpunches methodically. I mean she held serve for 4 straight service games against Venus freakin Williams. That's pretty impressive for someone who's 17!

Fyndh0rnElf
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:51 AM
I was extremely impressed. To get an ace going at 89 mph shows she's got really really good control of the ball. Her placement and slice on her serve is just absolutley incredible.

She was making a lot of unforced errors when she got frustrated so I think when she gets her confidence built up a little bit more and little more experience she'll definatley be a top 10 contender.

Her junior's performance was very impressive too. Great talent, nice hands (control), and counterpunches methodically. I mean she held serve for 4 straight service games against Venus freakin Williams. That's pretty impressive for someone who's 17!

I think she's the closest thing to Martina Hingis in years. I agree she'll be top10 sooner or later. Sharapova has benefited from her IMG contract, but I'm not sure Sharky is better. I think Douchevina right now can beat her. Depends on how both of them improve.

I had seen her play 2 years ago at some challenger on clay and saw her win 6-1 lose the 2nd 0-6 and come back to win 6-0. She is so calm is gets scary :unsure:

kosmikgroove
Jan 24th, 2004, 12:56 AM
I think she's the closest thing to Martina Hingis in years. I agree she'll be top10 sooner or later. Sharapova has benefited from her IMG contract, but I'm not sure Sharky is better. I think Douchevina right now can beat her. Depends on how both of them improve.

I had seen her play 2 years ago at some challenger on clay and saw her win 6-1 lose the 2nd 0-6 and come back to win 6-0. She is so calm is gets scary :unsure:

i totally agree. her control of the ball as well as natural talent are totally reminescent of the swiss miss! But it's her on-court tactics and all-court game and fearlessnes that reminded me of martina's game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Douchevina try some drop shots off of a slower second serve from someone like Dementieva, just like Martina!

Keith17
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:09 AM
I don't see how Vera D. is like Marat at all...

Marat has weapons galore, but is a nutcase. Vera D. has no weapons, and as perfect mentally as a 17-year old can be in her first match against any decent player, let alone Venus.

Again, I don't see the big deal with this girl... and she reminds me of Vera Z., just with less power on her groundstrokes, less quickness, but isn't an overemotional psycho who looks depressed every time she steps on court.

goldenlox
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Okay, so who on the WTA tour is tall, has weapons, and underachieves?

Fantastic
Jan 24th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Okay, so who on the WTA tour is tall, has weapons, and underachieves?

Daniela Hantuchova and Elena Bovina came to mind. ;)