PDA

View Full Version : Best UK female tennis prospect in years finally found!!!

spiceboy
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:58 PM
http://www.ketteringtoday.co.uk/ViewArticle.aspx?SectionID=337&ArticleID=726662

Charlotte's a jewel

NO-NONSENSE national coach Alan Jones betrayed some frustration at the British feeder system after 15 minutes hitting on court with rare County jewel Charlotte Gibbons last week.

It seems the hard-hitting Irchester teenager has been Northamptonshire's best-kept secret for the last three years – and Jones wants to know why.
Gibbons travelled with her father Brian to Hazelwood near Enfield and came under the microscopic scrutiny of Jones and former British number one ladies player Jo Durie, who was hitting for 20 minutes with the Northants youngster.
The end product saw Jones spitting feathers and demanding to know why Gibbons' talent hadn't been brought to his attention earlier.

Jones' reputation is a direct one and Gibbons snr reported: "I bumped into him as he arrived when Charlotte had already gone onto the indoor tar courts to warm up."Once he had introduced himself he told me that he wouldn't waste our time or rip us off. But that if Charlotte was trash, merely a decent county or club player, he would tell me."

Having later viewed the evidence on offer, Jones was almost apoplectic with frustration, cutting an animated figure as he stood holding his head between his hands and literally tearing at his hair.

Jones' verdict was: "You have to have a measure of perspective about the whole thing. Charlotte Gibbons is totally unexposed as a player. She now has to mix it with better players and see where we are a year or so down the line. We can criticise systems but parents also have to take responsibility."

Jones must have been impressed by something though, as Gibbons was hurried back to Hazelwood the following day for a session involving some of the LTA's top juniors and now has an ongoing commitment for weekly trips to Sutton Coldfield where she will be coached, on Jones' advice, by Chris Johnson.

Gibbons said: "At one point it seemed as though Alan Jones was having a go at me for not putting Charlotte through the proper channels. But Tom Hadley from Technifibre, who had set up the hitting session, pointed out that he was frustrated at the system.

"It seems at least 90 per cent of the young players he (Jones) looks at get turned away. He pointed at the other girls who included Elena Baltacha and asked: 'Where has Charlotte been for the last three years?'

"If she had come under my wing then she would be in that squad over there now."

Baltacha is the Ukrainian-born former number one and, at 20, is staging a comeback on the national scene after suffering a liver problem last year.
Gibbons has been used to coaching for four hours a week. But Jones wants that increased to 12 with perhaps two-weekly excursions to the West Midlands.

That creates headaches in the 15-year-old's GCSE year but all concerned are keen to push the tennis card as far as it will go and negotiations are ongoing with Wollaston School.

"Allan Jones told me that Charlotte has so much talent and natural ability and that we had been playing in the wrong kind of events.

"He told me to take her out of the Norwich League (which she has won three times) immediately. She needs to be playing better standard players, even if she loses in the short run, in order to improve further."

21 January 2004

spiceboy
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:04 PM
I'm sorry to say this but LTA is a complete mess :tape: :tape: :tape: and then even blaming the father about lack of responsability :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Too hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 22nd, 2004, 08:38 PM
believing Alan Jones :tape:, he speaks more rubbish than Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier

paul_masterton
Jan 23rd, 2004, 06:00 PM
ditto eggy. alan is a ******.

he ruined hannah collin's career and almost did the same with anne. luckioly she got out just in time.

bally will be fine as she just ignores alan and only listens to jo. alan goes ape at bally all the time, and thankfully she has learned just to let it go over her head

Monica_Rules
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:27 PM
It was true that Annes best thing was ditching Alan Jones.I hope Elena does ok.

At 15 is it too late for this girl.Hope its not and she can do it.

ghosts
Feb 15th, 2004, 04:41 PM
doubtful

Johno_uk
Mar 8th, 2004, 10:05 AM
ditto eggy. alan is a ******.

Excuse me??????

Jeg_el_Skerjnh
Mar 10th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Excuse me??????

I assume you are implying that the use of the word "******" was improper? No need to get upset, he clearly just used the word as a generic insult and probably didnt mean to say that alan is a fudge packer (no offence though, in case you sympathise with those kind of people).