PDA

View Full Version : Interesting:Dinara vs Coetzer: Will a loss here send Amanda Packing?

Pureracket
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:46 PM
We have figured that Amanda Coetzer has seen the best of her days on tour. She has played the Aussie Open eleven times, and her best results in a Slam have come from this one (semis in '96 &'97). Though she still has one of the best bodies on tour, she's lost a step in speed, and her most powerful shots are simply mediocre in velocity compared to the higher ranked players.

Will a loss to the up and coming Safina here be the nail in the coffin to Amanda's career? Would a loss here behoove her to seriously consider retiring from competitive, top level tennis?

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:47 PM
I don't know. she is one the fastest serve list :o

becks
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:23 PM
Well Amanda just lost the 1st set 5-7, she was a break up in that 1st set but lost it. and is down a break in the 2nd set.

LiliaLee-Frazier
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:27 PM
We have figured that Amanda Coetzer has seen the best of her days on tour. She has played the Aussie Open eleven times, and her best results in a Slam have come from this one (semis in '96 &'97). Though she still has one of the best bodies on tour, she's lost a step in speed, and her most powerful shots are simply mediocre in velocity compared to the higher ranked players.

Will a loss to the up and coming Safina here be the nail in the coffin to Amanda's career? Would a loss here behoove her to seriously consider retiring from competitive, top level tennis?
I think this will be amandas last year no matter what..she is 32 and will be 33 in october...she most likely lose this match and then plumit to no 45 or so..but then hopefully rebounds around the french open and wimbledon where she has very little points to defend..then hopefully finish out her last year strong and have a nice Olympics :)

becks
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:50 PM
Guess we will find out eventually...she just just lost

sartrista7
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:56 PM

No offence to Coetzer, but I really hope so - she infuriates me and my faves :mad:

I think 2004 will see a lot of post-Olympic retirement. Quite a few veterans seem to be making one last push for the Games.

Oh, and congrats Dinara :D Well done for keeping your head!

Fantastic
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:26 PM
When Amanda was beating Steffi Graf, she was killing the ball as hard as Steffi was and she was hell on wheels all over the court. She played smart and played with conviction. But since employing Lori McNeil as her coach, she's been playing more like her personality - conservative, calm, quiet and cautious. She says she plays for the love of the game, which is completely fine, but does she really love just chasing balls around the court? I mean, sometimes it looks like she hasn't practiced any drills in years and doesn't really know what to do out there but get the next ball back into play. I know it's the foundation of her game but she doesn't really go for any of her shots anymore like she used to, especially on her forehand side. It's sad to know what she was once capable of but to see that she's not attempting to execute them anymore.

I don't think losing to Dinara should convince Amanda to retire, but I'd like to see Amanda play as aggressively as she used to. Lori should be able to help her with that. Why not go out with a bang rather than a soft whimper in the night? Amanda's game is no longer adequate enough if she plans to stay in the Top 50 this year. IMO, she's deteriorated back to the level she was around 1994-95, but with the talent pool what it is these days, her game is not going to cut it as a Top 20 player.

Come on, Amanda! "Be aggressive, B-E aggressive!"

miranda_lou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:19 PM
Amanda has NEVER been aggressive.:rolleyes: Even back when she was beating Steffi Graf.

The only reason Amanda beat Steffi or anybody else is because she bored them into submission.:lol: All the girl ever did was hit the ball back until her opponent got tired and tried for too much. Amanda was fast on her feet so she got to everything, but, like ASV, when she lost a step her career went into the toilet. ASV had enough pride to call it a day but Amanda still just hangs on by a thread.:sad:

Someone needs to explain to her that she's never going to win a Slam so why continue.:confused: Dinara Safina is a very good young player, but she's not the best of the young players so if Amanda loses to her she can't expect anything better from the other players out there.

Time to give it up Amanda.:wavey: