PDA

View Full Version : What about Kim?

DA FOREHAND
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:47 PM
Has Kim ever been favored to win a Slam tournament?

Was she the fav. going into the Williamsless 03 US Open?

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:48 PM
Has Kim ever been favored to win a Slam tournament?

Was she the fav. going into the Williamsless 03 US Open?
I think she was the favorite at New York last year.

RAA
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:52 PM
yeah, even though Justine had won the french, cuz USO is on hard courts.. people were saying that Kim really was the fav there over justine.. capriati was in the mix too..

all I know is one of the first broadcasts of the OZ this year the announcers were saying who they were picking to win this year and they mentioned everyone except for Kim. it was so glaring that I thought she had pulled out...
I guess that was her ankle injury that was making them not even list her among their favorites.

I still think she has a good shot to win... but I think vee will take it.

Bezz
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:55 PM
She was joint favourite for the US open.

tennisfan1972
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:58 PM
Well considering all the injuries this year, i think this would have been a great opportunity for her to win one. In fact, Venus, Amelie, Lindsay, and Justine all have a great shot at winning in AUS.. I just wonder who will be the victor when all is said and done.. I think Lindsay is playing well enough that by quarterfinal time she should eb playing well. Amelie seems to be playing great. Just not sure how she will play against the top players. Justine seems to be doing well also but might not be feeling so well. Fatigue will be a big factor if it gets hot in AUS. Venus seems to be playing well. The only real weakness i saw in her game was her first serve. I was surprised at how deep her 2nd serve is so far. I guess she has been working specifically on her 2nd until she gets to the quarters and faces someone who isnt afraid to attack. But venus is returning extremely well from what little i saw of her match with harkleroad. If Kim is playing well she should be ok til quarters. I would love to see a KIM/VENUS semi and teh JUSTINE/LINDSAY quarter.. EITHER SEMI will be great whether its justine/Amelie or justine/lindsay.. CANT WAIT!!

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:29 PM
Odd...even for the Open, people were saying that considering Justine´s play during the summer that Justine was the fav for the williams-less U.S. open.

But to be fair with Kim, many said that a healthy Kim would have been the fav for the Oz open.

Lady
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:33 PM
Kim was the favourite @ the US Open, ahe had great hard court season too

And yes, a lot people said she would be the favourite for the AO if not the injury ;)

And just remember all the prediction threads, most of the people on this board picked Kim for the Aussie Open!

Ballbuster
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:38 PM
She's an also ran. The woman's a choker. Not when any of of them williams gulls or that country woman in the draw will Kim ever get a nod.

Actually, this is her decension year.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:42 PM
She's an also ran. The woman's a choker. Not when any of of them williams gulls or that country woman in the draw will Kim ever get a nod.

Actually, this is her decension year.

The first part of your post, that´s the bottom-line. Right now Kim is fourth in the line of fav among the big 4 when categorizing the contenders.

The second-part, don´t know about that.

alexusjonesfan
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:49 PM
From all the hype surrounding Kim at the beginning of last year (people saying that she was playing like the best player in the world, everyone wanted a credible rival to Serena)...it sure did seem for a bit that Kim was the favourite (especially after Serena had some trouble in her first round match and Kim seemed to be in cruise control). Going into RG, I thought Kim was widely considered to be the favourite. She'd won the most recent title (Rome) and Serena had shown her fallibility on clay. Plus, conventional wisdom was that clay would favour Kim in a rematch of her OZ semi and that Kim wouldn't choke if she was in the same position again. I remember at the beginning of RG, ESPN.com had a picture of Kim with the title "The Chosen One". Wertheim, who always goes with the most popular choice, tipped Kim to win with the only competition coming from Serena (even after Justine had taken out Serena, he picked Kim to win). Almost every article I read around that time had Kim winning the tourney, and even before play started, her draw was relatively easier (Serena had the two people who had most recently beaten her in her way, and Kim had Venus who was returning from injury and a Capriati who hadn't made much noise that year) so yeah I think she was the fave at RG.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:09 PM
I think she was more the sentimental favourite than anything else.

One thing is for sure though: Kim sure doesn´t know how to handle with expectations!

Hulet
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:10 PM
I remember Kim being tauted(sp?) to win AO last year. It didn't pan out in the end, but I think it is better for her like this year, where she is slightly off the journos radar. Less pressure.

Foot_Fault
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:13 PM
I think she was more the sentimental favourite than anything else.

One thing is for sure though: Kim sure doesn´t know how to handle with expectations!
No yet buddy, to young and to fresh of a career. (think Monica, Nav, and the last Graf years), those are considered sentimental favs.

But Kim is a Favorite here? no?...she's been a favorite in every slam for the last year or so. God, now I want her to break through so people can shut the hell up.:fiery:

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:22 PM
No yet buddy, to young and to fresh of a career. (think Monica, Nav, and the last Graf years), those are considered sentimental favs.

But Kim is a Favorite here? no?...she's been a favorite in every slam for the last year or so. God, now I want her to break through so people can shut the hell up.:fiery:

Not for EVERY major....I think RG´03 and maybe the U.S. open ´03....Wimbledon and the Oz, she wasn´t winning those.

Foot_Fault
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:30 PM
Not for EVERY major....I think RG´03 and maybe the U.S. open ´03....Wimbledon and the Oz, she wasn´t winning those.But she's been a favorite and these are in order.

Oz '03 Favs
1. Serena
2. Venus
3. Kim
4. Justine

FO '03 Favs
1. Serena
2. KIM
3. Justine
4. Venus
5. Jennifer

WIM '03 Favs
1. VENUS
2. Serena
3. KIM
4. Justine

US Open '03 Favs
1. KIM
2. Jennifer
3. Justine

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:37 PM
I think your Wimbledon picks are a bit too ambitious. Everybody rated Justine above Kim at Wimbledon...

Lady
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:27 AM
Yes, that's true bandabou
The only slam where Kim wasn't a heavy favourite was Wimbledon.

Diya
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:05 AM
Kim just won the first set 6-0 is almost no time and she is supposedly injured :eek:

Diya
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:23 AM
4-0 Kim in the second .....

Rub
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:31 AM
5-0 now. she's going for a double bagel!!! :eek:

Diya
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:36 AM
the whitewash is complete ....an injured Kim wins her 2nd rd match 6-0 6-0!:)

Foot_Fault
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:37 AM
GOOD JOB KIM!!!!! Love Her!

Havok
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:38 AM
omfg geaux beigne:rocker2:

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 22nd, 2004, 03:38 AM
OMFG geaux BEIGNE :banana: :yippee:

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 04:08 AM
Remember last year?! Kim was the queen of double-bagels....all know the story.