PDA

View Full Version : Best of five sets for women's matches?

New
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:11 PM
Can we have best of five sets for the women's matches?

I know it's very tiring, but I'm sick and tired of seeing a certain point of time when all the courts are men's matches as the women's matches finish relatively faster...

Then that ought to bring equal showing of live matches on TV!!!!

pReUrBrIyN
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:24 PM
:haha:

Imagine Conchita vs. Coetzer 5 set match:

5 sets; 10 hours of tennis. :lol:

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:28 PM
No. Frankly, I think men's tennis should go down to best of 3

crazillo
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:28 PM
i think thatīs a good idea. but itīs difficult to realase, isnīt it? i think just the semifinals and the final ashould be five-setters and the whole masters-event.

doby
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:29 PM
:) Alot of the guys matches have been finishing up pretty fast.There has been alot of uncompetative matches on the male side and that hasn't stopped them from getting more air time.I don't think it would make any difference...the attitude of espn needs to change. :o

Darran
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:01 PM
Until the womens game has more depth I cant see the need for it, as in early matches it would still be 6-1 6-0 6-1, hardly entertaining stuff. From 4th round onwards I would like to see it though, as the tournaments could certainly accommodate the scheduling.

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:09 PM
Maybe only in Year Ending Championships. Its indoors and most like not that much tiring.

#1 Lindsay
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:19 PM
womens matches have been played to 5 sets before at the year end champs
Hingis beat Davenport in 4 sets in like 97 or sommin

CanadianBoy21
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:29 PM
If women cannot stay injury free during 3 sets of tennis throughout the tournament, it is highly unlikely they will be able to last 5 set matches.
I would like to see the finals a 5 set match on the women's side... highly unlikely as it would be at the end of the tourny and they would be tired.
Men have a different body, obviously. However, they should still get paid the same, because women work to their potential and men to their, just men I guess have a higher tennis potential... :confused:

Calaer
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:56 PM
Yes I remember Graf beat Hingis in 5 sets and also Huber in 5 sets at the Chase if I remember well.

becks
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:17 PM
why did the end of year thing stop being a best of 5 sets match?

Joana
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:19 PM
Deffinitely not!
Top 5 players would win the 3rd set 6-0 in 99% of the early round matches.

Keith17
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:20 PM
I've always said that the men should only play best of 3.

I know that it won't test their stamina, blah blah blah... but the main point is, very few people want to watch an entire 3 out of 5 set match. It's simply too long. The most important thing is to make tennis more interesting for the fans.

fammmmedspin
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:31 AM
5 set matches in the Australian heat = dead players or injury retirals.

The YEC 5 setters were fine but they were sometimes odd matches perhaps due to the physical efforts. If I recal,l Anke out-played Steffi for 2 sets and steffi outplayed her for 3 - it was an odd sort of match with a definite tiring, recovering cycle to it.

azza
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:47 AM
No because the only player that could last 5 sets would be Nicole Pratt ;):p