PDA

View Full Version : Monicas Cheap Titles "Just padding her total?

Linton
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:17 AM
While we are following the Antwerp tourney, there is another one going on this week in Doha, Qatar, where Marti played last year. It is Monica and a field of stiffs, and the title will almost certainly go to Monica.

Toward the end of last year, Monica picked up three titles in weak-field tourneys - Brasil Open, Japan Open, Kiwi Open in Shanghai. I sort of understood why she did that, in view of the post-September 11 climate and her refusal to play in Germany.

I have always liked Monica, and sympathized with all she has gone through. She has already this year taken Marti to three tough sets twice in strong-field tourneys. But I hope this doesn't become a pattern of Monica's, to get as many cheap titles as she can and pad her career total, now 51 and not too far ahead of Marti's 40.

go hingis
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:25 AM
Maybe she just wanted to wear the traditional outfit,

Martina's made it famous.;)

I also think she's doing Promotional work, $$$$$$$$$$.

I have seen many pics of Monica, I think taken before or while the tournament has been played.

irma
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:28 AM
I doubt she thinks this way same as that she does it for the money. I heard she was asked to play!

disposablehero
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Monica played in Qatar because the WTA got ON THEIR KNEES and begged. She played the Brazil OPen because it was a Tier II. Who did or didn't feel like showing up is not her fucking problem. She played the Japan Open and Shanghai Open because some miserable goofball motherfucker tried to kill her and Germany didn't care.

Any other questions?

Linton
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:32 AM
Can U not swear at what i say. God thats what u get form having ure opinion loozer:rolleyes:

disposablehero
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:01 AM
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you wanted to know why she played those tournaments. If I had realized your actual intention was to belittle Monica's titles so you could pretend Martina has more, I wouldn't have bothered answering.

Jippo McScally
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Monica played in Shanghai and Japan because of her sponsorship deal with Yonex, which is an asian company!

Linton
Feb 16th, 2002, 09:23 AM
[Admin edit due to offensive language]

smygelfh
Feb 16th, 2002, 09:34 AM
This is just a good opportunity to remember the tons of 'Martina's greedy and playing only for the money' threads from last year. Of course Monica isn't doing that, but Martina was.

irma
Feb 16th, 2002, 09:55 AM
"I like Monica but I hope she get`s stabbed"(I transformed two posts in one)
Does that make sense?
:rolleyes:

Monica_Rules
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:52 AM
UM excuse me! Bahia was a tier 2 and had a decent field!If no one could beat her there thats there problem she was asked to play the Japan Open as part of her sponseship deal with Yonex and if makes sense playing Shaghai! This year a tier 3 is meant to have a top 10 player!Doha didn't have one and the WTA asked her to play it!
Get over it whiny!

CiCi Bonus Baby
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:53 PM
I hope Monica mirrors Martina only as far as winning Doha. Then Seles should go on to win another slam.

Williams Rulez
Feb 16th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Monica is only doing it cause the WTA begged her to, not for any other reason.

The WTA has to try to have a top 10 player in most tournaments!

Kart
Feb 16th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Bearing in mind that almost 20% of Monica's 50 titles are grand slams, I imagine it will take some padding out to make her total look cheap

Aside from excessive scheduling, I have no problem with her playing this week and I had no problem with Martina playing last year - both are supporting the tour which is a nice thing to do.

Perhaps it's hard for you to grasp Linton, but not all players just turn up just for the sake of improving their career statistics :rolleyes: .

joao
Feb 16th, 2002, 05:29 PM
And it's not like she went to middle-east just to play Doha......she was already commited to play Dubai......why not play both tourneys then!!!!! Besides Kournikova is the only player who feels ashamed to play events lower than TierII !! There's nothing wrong to play Tiers III events. We're gonna see this year a lot more top10 players in Tiers III ... besides, every point is important when you're preparing for the slams! If Seles can get a #5 or #4 seed at RG, good for her!

GoSandrine
Feb 16th, 2002, 06:00 PM
This topic is absolutely absurd! :rolleyes:

Linton, are you on drugs or are you just trying to belittle Monica's achievements because you fear Martina won't pass her in career wins??? It's unbelievable what some posters will stoop to. :rolleyes:

Goran
Feb 16th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Oh god Linton. Sometimes I get the feeling that you just don't think before you type.

Monica is a great champion regardless of what tournaments she wins. If she wants to play in Doha then that is up to her and good on her for doing it.

way
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:16 PM
First, i think Seles is not the kind of player going for "cheap" titles.
I think her schedule is completely devoid of calculations.

And, most of all, ...........cheap titles in 2002?
Nah.....
And the AusOpens in the seventies?
And Roland Garros in its "black decade?
C'mon....
:)

veronica
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:05 PM
Oh Boy! :o

Linton
Feb 16th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Lol all Angry people. Isint it funny? U should all go to into politics prehaps u can make a different place. What do i get for having my say? I dont really give if its a "stupid" post. to me im having my view. alot of u a pretty snobby. Ive even heard people think aristrocrately of themselves. Well as soon as u have ure post ill go in trash it should eye?

Double Fault
Feb 16th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Sandrine Testud is not a "stiff" Neither is Tamarine Tanasugarn.

Monica doesn't have to prove anything. She has won 9 majors. She could play in Ulan Bator is she wants.

Linton
Feb 16th, 2002, 10:06 PM
Ohh who wants to go to Mongolia i would rather her play in Tierra Del Fuego!! or Emimbashawhatakouso sooso Bet ya dont know what that is!!!!

Alek
Feb 16th, 2002, 10:07 PM
:bounce: @ disposablehero and Double Fault

Come on Monica I dont care if you play only Tier V's you are the best ever for me :kiss: :hearts: :hearts:

Double Fault
Feb 16th, 2002, 10:20 PM
Actually Linton, Mongolia is a very beautiful country. They are a bit fussy who they allow in though. I'm sure Monica would have no problem obtaining a visa. You must be bursting with excitement Linton. :) Come on, admit it Linton, the thought of Monica playing in such a fabulous country has you on the verge of collapse. Maybe Martina Hingis would put her name down too.

setpoint
Feb 16th, 2002, 10:23 PM
I definitely do not agree with this post, Monica is a true champion, but then you must think Hingis did the same last year to pick up some easy titles since she is no longer competitive in Grand Slams. Too bad they do not have really easy tournaments where Anna K could win a title.

disposablehero
Feb 16th, 2002, 10:55 PM
Actually, if Monica Really was out to pad her career titles, she probably would have skipped Hopman Cup to play some nothing Tier IV in an out of the way backward country.

Something like say the ASB Classic in Auckland.

destructo_girl
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by smygelfh
This is just a good opportunity to remember the tons of 'Martina's greedy and playing only for the money' threads from last year. Of course Monica isn't doing that, but Martina was.PFFT, what?! Martina was there to promote Dubai, but its like joao said (re Monica),Originally posted by joao
And it's not like she went to middle-east just to play Doha......she was already commited to play Dubai......why not play both tourneys then
Martina wasn't playing for the money.

destructo_girl
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:13 PM
And I'd just like to reply to the first post, with a " :rolleyes: ".

:)

SM
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:18 PM
i only got up to reading disposable's second post and stopped........he hit the nail , this thread was made with intention to start trouble and belittle Monica's achievements.

great smash
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:20 PM
I think Seles always had some acceptable reason for playing those tournaments (sponsor ship deals, WTA), not the money or the titles (surely her greatest challenges are still beating top players, not adding to her title number).

If I'm not mistaking she won them all, you can hardly blame the girl for winning the matches she's supposed to win.
If a lot of other people don't succeed in doing that that a pitty for them.

Linton
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:12 AM
yes this was to start trouble wasnt it!! Of course it was. Firstly this post wasnt made by me i pasted it from another bored so if ya wanna blame someone blame Jim rainwater of hingis.org

SM
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:18 AM
Can you not think for yourself? Aren't we meant to be posting our own opinions...
because it didn't seem like you disagreed with what he said , otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

brunof
Feb 17th, 2002, 02:31 AM
These posts are sooooooo exciting! Keep me coming! :)

So pointless and endless...I can't get enough. :fiery:

V.Melb
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:32 AM
Testud, Tanasugarn, Molik, Sanchez Vicario..... stiff?

Tammy is in great form..i am sure she will challenge Seles tonight.
Molik already did.
I thought it was a little unfair Monica playing these events because it deprives other girls of titles. But Monica can do whatever she wants because she's a top player and has the respect of the whole tour. She could enter a 10k challenger if she wanted to.... who is there to stop her?! ... let her do what she wants to do... she shoudln't really be obligated to play ALL top events.
Besides she IS lifting the profile of these events... Winning the actual tournemant is just something that comes natural to a player of her ability.
Even though Seles would have deprived my Tammy of 2 career titles if she wins in Doha! :( - no hard fellings ;) :kiss:

wongqks
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:37 AM
It is funny to see this post, amd Linton is obviously jealous, just becasue he.she cannot win those so called 'small' titles LOL

wongqks
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:38 AM
And I hope all Hingis fan do not get offended and read into the lines too closely, we are just arguing the case with Linton, not to challenge Martina credibility last year at all.

destructo_girl
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:36 AM
I just want to thank wongqks, for the disclaimer.

Because, not many people have bothered to do that. In fact, a lot of them have gone out of their way to discredit Hingis, to get back at a Martina-fan.

'ppreciate it, wongqks! :wavey:

Goran
Feb 18th, 2002, 02:56 AM
What I find funny is that Linton posts this and then when things get a little heated he/she says that it is Jim Rainwater's post from hingis.org. I went there and looked and what Linton has done is just copied Jim's post straight from that board on to here and not acknowledged that Jim Rainwater wrote it. That is complete and utter plagerism. You can't just steal other peoples posts even if they do come from other boards....especially if then people try and argue the fact with you and you come out and say things like, Firstly this post wasnt made by me i pasted it from another bored so if ya wanna blame someone blame Jim rainwater of hingis.org

Linton, you just get worse and worse each day.

A4
Feb 18th, 2002, 05:35 AM
Linton. You are classic! OMG! I'm laughing my ass off. Bigtime. So this is the secret of your nice posts. I recall you saying sometimes you take your time to write perfect sentences. And that you only make errors when you cannot find the time to write, in response to posters who questioned you. Finding time my ass! Just go back and give credit to all the nice posts you sent in.

Thanx, anyway, for making my day. I'm still laughing.

A4
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:12 AM
OMG I could die laughing

irma
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Is this John Rainwater a leader of some some cult?
This is the second time this week people use his posts to tell us something ridicilous!(the first was on another board)