PDA

View Full Version : WTA kicks out Leipzig... to be replaced by Peking!

saphir1
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:56 PM
Hi everybody!

I read it today at Yahoo Germany. The WTA bought parts of the tournament in order to sell it to Peking. Leipzig's tournament director tries to organize a new Leipzig event outdoors, but it seems like the WTA does not support it.
I think it's a pity since the Leipzig tournament was really developing well, although it seemed like the attendance wasn't so good, but it increased every year. On the other hand, it's great for Asia and for Peking to have a WTA tournament.

jimbo mack
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:58 PM
does the bali and shanghai tournaments remain on schedule this year? is leipzig taking place this year?

............notice how all the german tournaments are slowly disappearing............... :tape:

Andy T
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:01 PM
If it saves the German Open from extinction then it won't have been totally in vain. There have been so many rumours about this tournament ceasing to exist lately. It's good to see Asia getting a few more women's events but it'd be such a shame if an event with so much tradition, one which was once considered among the 7 most important titles in the world, were to disappear. We've lost the South African Open, the US indoors and almost the entire indoor circuit in the US, the US Claycourts, all British Indoor events, to name but a few.

jimbo mack
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:03 PM
i think its a good move

it seems more fair like this

-Sonic-
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:05 PM
With Shanghai and Peking both tier 2's in the area it should only strengthen each field?????

Either that or someone ranked 9 or 10 is going to get some easy points lol.

Good to get tournaments in new places :) Shame about Leipzig though, Eurosport coverage on that was each and every day :(

*JR*
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:05 PM
As the same Leipzig directors shamelessly gave Elke her only WC's outside of the Benelux region, I say they can go fuck themselves.

-Sonic-
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Lol... actually maybe thats the exact reason why its gone - the world was sick of the Ekle WC bonanza lol

per4ever
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:39 PM
Too bad lots of topplayers are not really interested in playing there.... I don't see Justine playing Peking

GoDominique
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:42 PM
I just read the article. Sounds like Leipzig is gone for good. :rolleyes:

Serves them right though. Due to idiotic scheduling and other problems, last year's event was a disaster.

DTB now have NO excuse to sell Berlin.

esquímaux
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:43 PM
Maybe this will appease those posters who wanted a grand slam in China? :lol:

Natarajasana
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:45 PM
Isn't it Beijing?

Rising Sun
Jan 24th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Leipzig's disappeared from the WTA Calendar, and Beijing has only simply replaced Shanghai.

So no gain for Asian tennis really. :rolleyes:

http://www.wtatour.com/tournaments/

nitsansh
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:02 PM
The schedule for September is ridiculous now. 3 weeks in a row with only one tournament in Asia, and the only tier 2 in the middle.
They should have replaced Leipzig with another tournament in Europe. In Practice they replaced it with nothing.
It's a joke to say Beijing replaced Leipzig, it replaced Shanghai!
It would be impossible to do this year, but in the future the decline of indoor tournaments gives opportunity to shorten the back end of the season. There's no sense to start the European indoor series in Early October and leave a huge hole in September. It should be brought forward a week if not two.

JennyS
Jan 24th, 2004, 04:19 PM
I also have a feeling this is how they will shorten the season. Perhaps if the WTA Championships is moved to Europe in the future (where it probably should be), the end of the season could look like this

US Open
Philadelphia/Quebec City
Beijing/Bali
Filderstadt/Tashkent
Moscow/Tokyo
Zurich/Bratislava
Linz/Luxembourg
WTA Championships/Pattaya City

Rising Sun
Jan 24th, 2004, 05:03 PM
JennyS, I disagree about putting Beijing & Bali the same week. There's only a handful of events in Asia. Putting two the same week shouldn't happen like it is on the ATP Tour (Shanghai & Bangkok). :fiery:

Like nitsansh said, it's ridiculous they're saying that Beijing replaced Leipzig, when in fact, Beijing replaced Shanghai! Leipzig simply got cancelled. :(