PDA

View Full Version : What is the best and worst match your favorite player has played?

VW#1
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:16 PM
Favorite player: Venus Williams

Best Match: 2002 Wimbledon Quarterfinals
1 V Williams def Likhovtseva 6-2, 6-0

Venus started off a little slowly in this match, and amde a few too many unforced errors in the first couple of games, but after 2 all in the first set she never looked back. She covered the court well, served well, dictated play very well, she was just on fire. What was even more impressive about it was Likhovtseva was still playing well and you could still see that venus could still up her level if need be. Venus won this match in just 48 minutes.

Worst Match: 2001 Australian Open Semifinals
1 Hingis def 3 V. Williams 6-1, 6-1

Venus had been completely erratic in her play in all of her previous matches. She went 3 sets in her first round match against a practical nobody. But she was still able to make it to the semifinals to meet Hingis. Hingis played at her same level, making Venus run and keeping her unforced errors down, Venus on the other hand could barely keep a ball in and came to net so many times that she was lobbed repeatedly. This was the first time Hingis had defeated both Williams sisters back to back in 4 tries. She had defeated Serena in the match before 8-6 in the third.

Crazy_Fool
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:43 PM
Best: Wimbeldon semi final 2001. Capriati had just one the previous 2 slams and took the 1 set easily. Then Justine started to show her talent, some of her backhands in that match were unbelievable.
Worst: Lost to Kapros first round RG 2002. Maybe she was ill but still awful performance.

Foot_Fault
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:46 PM
Venus Williams:
Best Match....1999 Zurich (Swisscom Challenge) Finals- Williams def. Hingis 6-3, 6-4

In this match she was Just On, Played it PERFECTLY, and HINGIS was ON as well, just showed what Venus can do when she's playing really well. She couldn't miss. And there were very long rallies on one or two points every Game.

Her worst, was HINGIS, AO 2001 - Hingis Def. Williams 6-1,6-1
Venus was totally OFF, and Hingis was ON. Nuff Said.

calabar
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:57 PM
I am amazed how Hingis brings out the best and worst of Venus.

Best: US Open 2000 semi against Hingis
Worst: AO 2001 semi against Hingis

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM
Serena.:
Best match: wimbledon´02 semi against Momo. Totally blazing...in fact whole ´02 was a brilliant year for Serena.

Worst:
wimbledon´01 qf against Capriati. That was a pathetic perfomance...still can´t believe she lost that match. Ill or not. Can´t really think of any other?! People say her qf against Lindsay in ´00 at the Open?!

Crazy_Fool
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:21 PM
That wasnt a bad match, both players were hitting the ball sooo hard, i dont think i've ever seen 2 players hit the ball to each other so hard,

jimbo mack
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:27 PM
graf best match 1996 final US Open beating seles in the final 7/5 6/4

steffi didnt make any mistakes that day, and her serve was incredible, ace after ace.........! :worship:

graf worst match 1997 4th round loss to coetzer 6/2 7/5.

coetzer wasnt letting any of steffi's balls go pass her that day and forced steffi into several errors :sad:

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:31 PM
That wasnt a bad match, both players were hitting the ball sooo hard, i dont think i've ever seen 2 players hit the ball to each other so hard,

Against Lindsay or against Jen?!

Crazy_Fool
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Against Lindsay or against Jen?!
Serena v Lindsay. Hard hitting boy!!

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:35 PM
Serena v Lindsay. Hard hitting boy!!

Yep...great match-up. Almost all their matches at the Open have been some classic power-tennis.

jimbo mack
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:35 PM
Serena.:
Best match: wimbledon´02 semi against Momo. Totally blazing...in fact whole ´02 was a brilliant year for Serena.

Worst:
wimbledon´01 qf against Capriati. That was a pathetic perfomance...still can´t believe she lost that match. Ill or not. Can´t really think of any other?! People say her qf against Lindsay in ´00 at the Open?!

i thought ur 'worst' match was a great match!!

it was voted the match of the championships on a poll that year. and all the commentators (shriver, sue barker etc) were sending out so much praise for the players.

Crazy_Fool
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:37 PM
Choke jobs aren't really great matches in my opinion. Serena was a set 5-3 and 30-0 then bottled it...

Allez-H
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:55 PM
Best:It's difficult to tell,cuz Justine played some great matches in her career.But I do agree that her semi against Jen @Wimbledon was an amazing performance.And it was probably won of my fav Justine-matches.
Worst:Kapros at RG two years ago was heartbreaking.Eventhough she was ill,losing the last two sets 1 and 0 to a girl whoms first serve is far more slower than most players second was terrible.But it was quite obvious she was ill.The Q-finals at the 2002 Masters on the other hand was absolute torture for me to watch.She just played horrible.I mean Kim wasn't even playing that good,she didn't had to do anything special but she still won 6/2 6/1.So at the end of the day I have to pic the Masters defeat as her worst match.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:07 PM
i thought ur 'worst' match was a great match!!

it was voted the match of the championships on a poll that year. and all the commentators (shriver, sue barker etc) were sending out so much praise for the players.

THey praised it only because Serena lost...same as the Hingis vs Serena match at the Oz. If Serena had won, no one would have been saying anything about it.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:09 PM
Best:It's difficult to tell,cuz Justine played some great matches in her career.But I do agree that her semi against Jen @Wimbledon was an amazing performance.And it was probably won of my fav Justine-matches.
Worst:Kapros at RG two years ago was heartbreaking.Eventhough she was ill,losing the last two sets 1 and 0 to a girl whoms first serve is far more slower than most players second was terrible.But it was quite obvious she was ill.The Q-finals at the 2002 Masters on the other hand was absolute torture for me to watch.She just played horrible.I mean Kim wasn't even playing that good,she didn't had to do anything special but she still won 6/2 6/1.So at the end of the day I have to pic the Masters defeat as her worst match.

and how sweet it is now, huh?! Now it is Kim losing sets at -0 and at -1 to Juju.

Crazy_Fool
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:09 PM
So much praise for Serena bottling the match?!! LOL.

Crazy_Fool
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:10 PM
and how sweet it is now, huh?! Now it is Kim losing sets at -0 and at -1 to Juju.
What goes around comes around...

SJW
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:14 PM
worst (that i've seen): umm........clay performances...Justine @ RG. i felt sick seeing her hit like that.maybe cuz i was used to "the new Serena". Justine played well.
best (that i've seen): Hingis 01 USO, Meghann 03 AO, Bedanova 02 USO, Amelie 03 Paris (indoors)...

Kart
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:14 PM
Gabriela Sabatini :hearts:

Best: US open final 1990. Beating the legendary Steffi in a grand slam final is just about as special as it gets.

Worst: So many to choose from :rolleyes:.

I don't care though, she's still :inlove:.

Glenn
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:15 PM
Justine Henin-Hardenne:

Best: def. Safina 6-0 6-3 US Open 2003

Justine easily cruised to 6-0 5-0 into this match with some of the most amazing tennis I've ever seen.
Hitting winners off almost every Safina second serve, running down every potential Safina winner, hitting aces all over.
Had a slight hiccup when Safina got back to 5-3 but then closed it out and proved people that thought Dinara would be tough for Justine wrong.

Worst: lost to Dementieva 6-3 4-6 5-7 Amelia Island 2003

Even though Elena was on fire this tournament, Justine was totally off this match.
Her backhand was spraying everywhere but inside the lines, her forehand was weak and loopy and also very error prone, and she had matchpoint and blew it away.
It was a bad day I guess.

Libertango
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:16 PM
Chanda Rubin

Best: Beating Hingis 1999 Indian Wells. She was so aggressive but controlled with it. Also that 16-14 win over ASV, OZ 1996 :worship:

Worst: Losing to Kournikova, 6-1 6-1, first round Wimby 97. The lowest point of her career, it was awful to watch, especially as it was on centre court :o

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:18 PM
worst (that i've seen): umm........clay performances...Justine @ RG. i felt sick seeing her hit like that.maybe cuz i was used to "the new Serena". Justine played well.
best (that i've seen): Hingis 01 USO, Meghann 03 AO, Bedanova 02 USO, Amelie 03 Paris (indoors)...

Yeah...Serena on clay this year hasn´t been pretty. Add her loss to Momo at Rome to the list too. Up a set and 5-3 and still find a way to lose?!

Foot_Fault
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:49 PM
BY FAR, the Best Match Serena has EVER played...was '01 US Open against Hingis!!! WOW....100% on 1st Serves in the 2nd Set....I've never seen it done before. Probably has been, but can't recall. It was so dominant, and so awsome..!

ALPHA
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:51 PM
Anna Kournikova:

best: Moscow 2000, Indoors, Semifinal, Kournikova bt Tauziat 6:2 & 6:1

worst: US-Open 2002, Hardcourt Outdoors, 1st Rd, Widjaja bt Kournikova 6:3 & 6:0

Joana
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:56 PM
Jelena Janković:

the best:
AO '04 1R: def. Dementieva 6-1 6-4

thw worst:
AO '04 2R: lost to Craybas 6-4 2-6 8-6

:rolleyes:

SJW
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:59 PM
Jelena Janković:

the best:
AO '04 1R: def. Dementieva 6-1 6-4

thw worst:
AO '04 2R: lost to Craybas 6-4 2-6 8-6

:rolleyes:
haha that's funny :D

she's a pretty girl :)

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:07 PM
Best (that I've seen)

2003 Wimbledon Petrova
from 6-1 to 3-0, Venus was just amazing

Worst (that I've seen)
2002 French Open Final, or wait 2002 Miami SF

SJW
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:09 PM
^needs to get hold of the Antwerp 03 final

Venus def Clijsters 6-2 6-4....the last 4 games was tennis at it's best :drool: dayum i need to get my tape back :mad:

also underrated is Venus def Monica 02 Champs...can you say...brutal? :eek: it must be illegal to have two players hitting the ball like that

CJ07
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:25 PM
I saw that match with monica and it was pretty good, but Venus was making a lot of errors that were just all over the place. If Monica had served better I definately think she would have won

SJW
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:28 PM
she made more winners than errors

DA FOREHAND
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:04 PM
Steffi

Best 92 Wimbledon Final
Worst 97 Losses to Coetzer

Venus

Best Defeating Monica 01 Acura Classic
Defeating Hingis Swisscom Challenge
her first fed cup match -v- Chech rep. 29 Winners 10 errors, BJK was creaming on the sidelines

Worst 01 A.O. Final double breadsticks for Hingis.

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:46 PM
Venus:

BEST
US Open SF 00--def. Hingis 4-6 6-3 7-5
Acura F 01--def. Seles 6-2 6-3
US Open SF 01--def. Capriati 6-4 6-2

WORST
Serena def. in Miami/Paris/New York 02
Hingis def. 6-1 6-1 in OZ 01

#1 Lindsay
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:11 PM
most of the worst matches of the favourites are high quality matches that their favourites lost and that isnt bad play by their favourites

Lindsay davenport
best: vs Tatiana Panova 2003 Aus open 3rd round :devil:
worst: vs Kim Clijsters 2003 US semi finals :(

PointBlank
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:28 PM
Anna Smashnova-Pistolesi

Best-
New Haven 2003 Anna defeats Vera -0-6,7-65,6-2

Worst-
US Open 2003 Anna lost to Claudine - 6-75,2-6

ktwtennis
Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:16 AM
MONICA

Worst:
Loss to Hingis in Miami 6-0, 6-0.

Best:
'90 French Open defeating Steffi 7-6, 6-3 (But this is only one of too many!! :-)

Jakeev
Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:08 AM
I think Lindsay's best match to this day was when she beat Steffi Graf in the 99 Wimbledon final.

Only a handful of players can say they domintated or out-dueled Steffi in a match. That Wimbledon final was an example.

Although Graf was moving amazinly well I thought on Centre Court, She did not seem to have an answer to Lindsay's serve and lethal groundstrokes.

Linds definitely won that match.

As for her worst, losing to Serena 6-1, 6-2 at Indian Wells I think is the one match that made Lindsay seem vulnerable. I mean she had no answer to anything against a player who was obviously the dominating force on that court that day.

j_dementieva27
Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:15 AM
Elena:

Best match(es):
both are from 2003 Amelia Island, elenas first tour title:
1.) SF E Dementieva(10) over J Henin-Hardenne(1) 3-6 6-4 7-5
2.) F E Dementieva(10) over L Davenport(2) 4-6 7-5 6-3

ive never seen such absolute beautiful tennis played by her, and she made me proud to be a fan... in fact it was really after these two matches that i truly fell in love with lena d...

Worst Match:
Paris [open gaz de france], 2003
SF: A Mauresmo(3) over E Dementieva 6-0 6-0

she was playing pretty good tennis that week, and the double bagel came as a shock to me and probably most others too... she was just horrible

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:16 AM
hmmm for monica the worst is pretty simple
l. to hongis 6-0 6-0 at miami... she was injured and only won a few points in each set... not to mention her match against kukalova and her loss to petrova... a few of these she should have retired from.

best is quite hard to pick from...
i think when she beat martina navratilova 6-1 6-1 at 91 rome, she says it's the best she's ever played over a whole match, and i tend to agree. she really couldn't miss. if she plas anywhere near that lever there's simply no one before her or after her who could beat her.

DA FOREHAND
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:30 PM
hmmm for monica the worst is pretty simple
l. to hongis 6-0 6-0 at miami... she was injured and only won a few points in each set... not to mention her match against kukalova and her loss to petrova... a few of these she should have retired from.

best is quite hard to pick from...
i think when she beat martina navratilova 6-1 6-1 at 91 rome, she says it's the best she's ever played over a whole match, and i tend to agree. she really couldn't miss. if she plas anywhere near that lever there's simply no one before her or after her who could beat her.

LOL

The tennis played in 91, would not beat the play of any of the top players in 04.

shap_half
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:42 PM
Justine
Best: Henin-Hardenne d. Capriati USO03 - She had sooo much against her that day. I mean just for sheer quality I probably would choose that match between Justine and Monica at the 2002 Wimbledon, but because of the fact that Justine came back twice in this match makes it a better performance for her.

Worst: S. Williams d. Henin-Hardenne Wimbledon03 - Justine played with such apprehension that it's hard to say she played well. Serena was playing with aggression and Justine just didn't have that same spark - she played with fear. I don't think she came into that match thinking she could beat Serena.

Knizzle
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:45 PM
Venus:

Best: 2001 Wimbledon final. Venus was FRIGHTENING in the third set.

Worst: 2002 US Open final.

Serena:

Best: FCC 2003 SF vs. Davenport, Serena was absolutely PERFECT for a set and a half. Sending back LD's 105+ mph first serves back for winners. Serving aces, covering court beatifully.

Worst: FCC 2003 final vs. Henin-Hardenne, total opposite of the SF's against Davy. Serena was horrible after being up a break in each set. Losing 6 straight games to lose the first set.

It's funny how the best and worst just happened to be in the same tourney in back to back rounds. It's almost like I planned it that way.

shap_half
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:47 PM
The worst I've seen Serena played was at the 2001 USO Final. IMO, of course. But I just did not like how she had no rythm or anything during that match.

MAURO
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:32 PM
Paola Suarez

Best matches:
Roland Garros 2002: won over Mauresmo
Australian Open 2001: won over Dechy
Wimbledon 2003: won over Maleeva
Fed Cup - Buenos Aires 2002: won over Testud

Worst matches:
Australian Open 2003: lost to Pratt
Roland Garros 2001: lost to Henin-Hardenne
Indian Wells 2003: lost in first round

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Justine
Best: Henin-Hardenne d. Capriati USO03 - She had sooo much against her that day. I mean just for sheer quality I probably would choose that match between Justine and Monica at the 2002 Wimbledon, but because of the fact that Justine came back twice in this match makes it a better performance for her.

Worst: S. Williams d. Henin-Hardenne Wimbledon03 - Justine played with such apprehension that it's hard to say she played well. Serena was playing with aggression and Justine just didn't have that same spark - she played with fear. I don't think she came into that match thinking she could beat Serena.

You´re right about the wimbledon match. From the beginning you could SEE the fear in the eyes of Justine...

p.s.: did you believe she could beat Serena?!

Allez-H
Jan 22nd, 2004, 07:21 PM
About that match at Wimbledon:Carlos said that he knew Justine wasn't having her day from the beginning.He said that he already knew it at breakfast when she didn't say a word.I guess she was to caught up with all the media-attention that match was getting and she just couldn't handle all that pressure.I mean,it was the only thing they were talking about since the beginning of that forthnight.But the more experience she gains (bad or good) the better.Cuz I think that she sure did learn allot from it.

bandabou
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:06 PM
About that match at Wimbledon:Carlos said that he knew Justine wasn't having her day from the beginning.He said that he already knew it at breakfast when she didn't say a word.I guess she was to caught up with all the media-attention that match was getting and she just couldn't handle all that pressure.I mean,it was the only thing they were talking about since the beginning of that forthnight.But the more experience she gains (bad or good) the better.Cuz I think that she sure did learn allot from it.

Interesting....I think that Justine wasn´t as confident against Serena at wimbledon as she was at RG, simply because she knew that she has NEVER even taken a set-off Serena on non-clay surfaces. Plus of course the expectations and stuff..

*hingis_forever*
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Martina Hingis

Best (that I've seen): Hingis d. Serena Oz Open '01 8-6 in the 3rd! Great stuff!

Worst (that I've seen): Toss-up between Wimbledon '99 vs. Dokic or Flderstadt '02 vs. Petrova! :rolleyes:

faboozadoo15
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:45 PM
LOL

The tennis played in 91, would not beat the play of any of the top players in 04.
perhaps... but monica even past her best years is still a top player... funny how that works... :rolleyes: she was playing martina navratilova, maybe the fittest player of all time. a winner then against her is a winner today against anyone as well... and that's using a 13/14 year old racquet...

Mariangelina
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:46 PM
Amélie- Best: The win over Justine at the YEC or def. Serena Rome semis or that oh-so-close :sad: :sad: :sad: match against Venus in US semis 2002, 3-6 7-5 4-6. I was :bounce: ing off the walls all that match, and really thought she could win until the very end. She'll get another chance, maybe even at this Oz :devil:

Worst: There are several, unfortunately.
Kim d. Amélie YEC final 6-0 6-2. That was just aberrant.
Kim d. Amélie US Open QF 2003. Pretty sloppy and uninspired on both sides.
Chanda d. Amélie at I think Miami 2003 6-0 6-2. That just came out of nowhere.
Serena d. Amélie RG QF. I cried after that :blush:
Jana Kandarr d. Amélie 1R RG 2001. Although I wasn't following Amélie at that time, looking back, that was probably the very worst. Up 5-1 in the second too :sad:

Amélie is very unpredictable, but that's one of the reasons I like her so much :hearts:

pan
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:50 PM
STEFFI

tons of best matches :)
the worst one was the 06 16 to COETZER in berlin 97 for sure :o