PDA

View Full Version : Who is Venus playing tonight

cool bird
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:32 PM
Has anybody seen vera play, And what reanking is she. I for one have never heard of her :)

Pureracket
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:33 PM
Well, she's Russian, I think, so this probably won't be a cakewalk for Venus.

sartrista7
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:42 PM
Vera Douchevina is ranked 112 (after only 12 tournaments, she's still under AER) and is 16 years old; former Junior Wimbledon champion (beat Sharapova in the 2002 final); beat Lisa Raymond in Moscow last year. She's very good - hard hitting from the baseline, but a lot more variety than most power players - and a lot of people, Eggy included, think she'll be something very special indeed. I've only seen her play once... she didn't impress me as much as Sharapova did at Junior Wimbledon, but I think she's more of a late developer. Oh, and she's prone to mental walkabouts (yes, shocking for a Russian).

Venus will win fairly easily, but I hope Vera puts on a good show - udachi, girl!

cool bird
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:44 PM
She really does seem to be the one to watch then. I hope Venus plays well. sounds as if she might be tricky

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:04 PM
Hmmm.....sounds like it may be a bit challenging for Vee....but again it may be not. This is the queen of defense we´re talking about, so Vee should end up being the winner.

SJW
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:06 PM
i hope Venus does well :)

i've wanted to see Douchevina play for a while now...she sounds really promising...

lizchris
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:18 PM
Venus should have no problem. We were told Ashley would be tricky for her and the trick was played on Ashley. Venus' opponent was taken to three sets by a qualifer and her stats were mediocre so at worst it should be 6-4, 6-4 but I think it will be more like 6-2, 6-2.

servenrichie
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:59 PM
Venus' opponent was taken to three sets by a qualifer and her stats were mediocre so at worst it should be 6-4, 6-4 but I think it will be more like 6-2, 6-2.What has this comparison got to do with anything?:shrug:
Anyway, I wish Venus the best of luck!

Keith17
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:07 PM
Some of us saw Vera play Ashley at the 1R of US Open. Vera was not impressive in the slightest. Eggy, and some of the Russian fans think Vera is something special, but I'm not seeing it. Vera wasn't even more powerful than Ashley in their match.

Venus will have no trouble tonight, as long as she's still healthy.

LindsayRulez
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:17 PM
I saw that match against Ashley, and Vera was very unimpressive; she'll hit a good shot every now and then, but she doesn't have much power, especially on the serve. Venus will cruise losing no more than 3 games ;)

lizchris
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:51 PM
What has this comparison got to do with anything?:shrug:
Anyway, I wish Venus the best of luck!
It's a good indicator as to how the match will turn out.:rolleyes:

venusfan
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:00 PM
States really don't tell how a match goes. but I have hope that Venus will run through this match.. It's just like a Venus vs Coetzer match.. alot of confidence in Venus. hopefully she can come through.. one match at a time

Ballbuster
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:12 PM
Vera Douchevina is ranked 112 (after only 12 tournaments, she's still under AER) and is 16 years old; former Junior Wimbledon champion (beat Sharapova in the 2002 final); beat Lisa Raymond in Moscow last year. She's very good - hard hitting from the baseline, but a lot more variety than most power players - and a lot of people, Eggy included, think she'll be something very special indeed. I've only seen her play once... she didn't impress me as much as Sharapova did at Junior Wimbledon, but I think she's more of a late developer. Oh, and she's prone to mental walkabouts (yes, shocking for a Russian).

Venus will win fairly easily, but I hope Vera puts on a good show - udachi, girl!

I don't trust your analysis. They are always flawed. Always.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:15 PM
If this girl can´t overpower Ashley, then......I think her case is pretty much sealed against Venus.

darrinbaker00
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:39 PM
I sincerely hope that Venus isn't taking this match as lightly as some of us seem to be..... ;)

SerialKiller#69
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:51 PM
Venus needs to be careful.It's not likely but she is a Russian after all.LOL

servenrichie
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:36 PM
I sincerely hope that Venus isn't taking this match as lightly as some of us seem to be..... ;)Thank you, that`s what I am thinking;)

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:46 PM
Venus never takes anyone lightly, so that should be the least of the worries.