PDA

View Full Version : IMO, the semi-finals are locked...

Sam L
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:23 AM
... And it's Justine vs. Amelie and Venus vs. Kim

I've browsed over the draws and it doesn't look like any of them will lose. Well at least these will make an interesting semis.

However, Justine could lose to Lindsay (but Lindsay looked shaky today and she would be seriously tested by Zvonareva soon). So that's the only question mark.

What do you think?

mboyle
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:27 AM
Kim is a huge HUGE q. Myskina, Sharapova, and Rubin are ALL possibilities for the quarters, and each has the capability to beat Kim if she is less than 100%

azza
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:30 AM
Molik will beat momo

Astro Jetson
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:32 AM
From those four, Amelie and Venus are certain imo.
Saw Amelie's matches and she is playing amazing. Plus the few threats in her draw are gone. Not that impressed with Venus' match but don't see a threat until the semi's.
Also not impressed with Justine yet and she has Lindsay to overcome. Didn't see Kim's match but Myskina is dangerous.

bis2806
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:35 AM
Provided Lindsay's shoulder injury doesn't bother her, i think she'll win over henin in two

per4ever
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:36 AM
last year, Lindsay's shoulder didn't bother her either :rolleyes:

sartrista7
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:36 AM
Amelie is a lock by virtue of the softest draw ever - I think only Kapros could even hope to go toe-to-toe with her in that quarter. Venus is a lock because, well, duh. Justine... has not really impressed me at all this year, her play has been distinctly sloppy - but if Zvonareva can keep her head* I think she may not even need to beat Lindsay. I still don't think Kim will reach the semis; bum ankle + one of Nastya, Masha and Chanda = out.

*biggest if ever

Rub
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:38 AM
amelie for sure is sure in the semis! :dance:

azza
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:40 AM
Hello :mad: Molik si in momo's draw did we all forget about her win against Clijsters saving 4 match points :rolleyes: and dont give me the bullshit it was a Ret. :rolleyes: she atleast got a set

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:43 AM
From what we saw of both players today, Momo would crush Kapros. I think that Molik is a much bigger threat. She was on playing on equal terms with Kim in their Hopman Cup match even before Kim was injured. She's very strong and in great form. Expect some surprises from her this year and some serious progress in the rankings.

Hey, it's not Momo's fault if the seeded players in her quarter are not holding up their end.

sartrista7
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:53 AM
From what I saw of Molik today... she also has the worst footwork of anyone except Hantuchova and makes stupid errors. Nice serve and good volleys, but not enough to challenge Mauresmo - especially with her plantar fasciitis. Wouldn't be altogether surprised to see Schaul come through instead.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:54 AM
I think Momo and Venus are locks....Venus looked good in her match against Ashley and as long as her movement isn´t bothered by the ankle-injury, don´t see no one beating her before the qrtrs....Momo looked good too in her two matches, although someone with a good-serve like Molik may well trouble her...Molik was great against Dani today, but her movement was a bit hampered.

Justine?! Hmm....she is no.1, but if Lindsay keeps serving well....may make life hell for Juju...against Loit, it was serve out-wide, winner...she does have a chance against Justine.

Kim?! If she plays agressive, she is a lock. She has the power, but if she wants to become a Hewitt-clone..her ankles won´t last.

Rub
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:56 AM
amelie is in blistering form! she's played really great so far!

Kirt12255
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:58 AM
Hello :mad: Molik si in momo's draw did we all forget about her win against Clijsters saving 4 match points :rolleyes: and dont give me the bullshit it was a Ret. :rolleyes: she atleast got a set
Wow!!! I leave the computer for an hour an already people "Seem" to have forgotten who Molik is LOL

Being 27 y/o, and seen many Australians play here in Melbourne....I have not seen an Australian like Molik play like she has above her ranking....this chick is in a mood....if she so much as goes a game above Mauresmo in the first set the crowd will bring her home.....as for that pathetic attempt of a tennis fan that called Molik overrated....this is the AO...not the spoon cup.

For those of you that havn't seen Molik on TV this year....her feet are quick, and she's hitting winners from no-where....it was like she was playing a Q from what I saw with Hantuchova.

I name her scudette!!!!! LMAO (Sorry for the dramatic finish but she will take out momo, crowd and quality of player played and rod laver arena again etc etc):wavey:

johnboy4
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:25 AM
msykina will beat clijsters

jrm
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:28 AM
yes, it's pretty much a lock

Crazy_Fool
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:36 AM
I'm not to sure about Lindsay v Justine at the mo. Sure Justine is the no1 but her record against DAvenport is hardly what u call inspiring. I know she's improved alot but they havent played for along time.

Venus and momo are bankers.

rightous
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:41 AM
I don't know, I think Momo is playing by far the best of any1 but her mental weaknesses is always a factor, I think that Myskina is a big threat regarding Clijsters and she also has an ok record against Venus (or is it Serena), Lindsay i think could beat Henin (what does she have to lose) Molik is a threat as is Zuluga if she is on, so in my bold predictions I'm going to say Lindsay V Momo, Venus V Myskina

Rothes
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:52 AM
Patty will get into the SF IMO ;) ;) Well atleast I hope so ;)

LindsayRulez
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:58 AM
I'm thinking Molik will take out Mauresmo, but not sure.

Rothes
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:00 PM
Hhhhhhooooooppppp Sssccchhhhwwwwwiiizzzzzz Patty

tennnisfannn
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:11 PM
Alicia vs Amelie will be decided by what mood Amelie is gonna be in. If they both make the 4th rd and I don't see anything stopping them, it will definitely be on centre court. Mauresmo will have to be there 100% mentally coz Molik can be dangerous and watching her go toe to toe against Kim at the hopman cup was impressive. The crowd will be behind her and Amelie will have to be very focused or she will be bounced out.
If Kim makes the quarters then it will mean her ankle is o.k, I expect her in the semis against venus.
Justine vs Lindsay will be mouth watering, both determined to assert themselves.

Sammm
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:15 PM
Mauresmo is playing well now, but you don't win a slam in the first week.

Pinkie
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:05 PM
So Myskina is going to beat Sharapova, then Rubin and then Clijsters? Errr... don't think so. Don't think she has the stamina (yet).

I'll be the same as always, Kim vs. Rubin with Kim winning in straights :lol:

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:15 PM
So Myskina is going to beat Sharapova, then Rubin and then Clijsters? Errr... don't think so. Don't think she has the stamina (yet).

I'll be the same as always, Kim vs. Rubin with Kim winning in straights :lol:

Aaah, the Kimmie-fans.....they´re so sweet. Seeing that whenever Kim beats Chanda in a tournament, she goes on to win it....they´re so desperate for Kim to meet Chanda at this Oz. Ain´t happening.

The winner of Myskina vs Sharapova, will go on to meet Kim and at least give her a fight in the qrtrs.

Pinkie
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:22 PM
Aaah, the Kimmie-fans.....they´re so sweet. Seeing that whenever Kim beats Chanda in a tournament, she goes on to win it....they´re so desperate for Kim to meet Chanda at this Oz. Ain´t happening.

The winner of Myskina vs Sharapova, will go on to meet Kim and at least give her a fight in the qrtrs.

It was a joke, alluding to Chanda's habit of playing like ass whenever she has to face Kim. Never mind...

Desperation? Hey, I am just happy she is playing at all. Considering Kim has a good record against either of the three, her ankle worries me more than any of those three ladies.

venusfan
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:23 PM
Too early to talk about semi's.. hopefully though Venus will win it all.

Blazedboy
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:00 PM
I pick lindsay to beat Justuine!

Ballbuster
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:24 PM
I'm going with the big names, unless they are off, noone will beat them. I'm also going with Venus pulling out this tournament. Even though, Maureen is in good form, (She seems to always bring out her best for this tournament) it won't happen, Justine or Venus will send her packing.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:25 PM
It was a joke, alluding to Chanda's habit of playing like ass whenever she has to face Kim. Never mind...

Desperation? Hey, I am just happy she is playing at all. Considering Kim has a good record against either of the three, her ankle worries me more than any of those three ladies.

I was just playing you too.

Of course....everybody´s glad that Kim´s playing.

alfonsojose
Jan 21st, 2004, 04:35 PM
QF
Henin vs. Davenport
Mauresmo vs. Zuluaga
Suarez vs. V. Williams
Miskina vs. Clijsters
--------------------
SF
Davenport vs. Mauresmo
V. Williams vs. Miskina
--------------------
F
Davenport vs. V. Williams
--------------------
W
V. Williams (sorry, Lindsay)

hinquit
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:17 PM
I don't know, I think Momo is playing by far the best of any1 but her mental weaknesses is always a factor, I think that Myskina is a big threat regarding Clijsters and she also has an ok record against Venus (or is it Serena), Lindsay i think could beat Henin (what does she have to lose) Molik is a threat as is Zuluga if she is on, so in my bold predictions I'm going to say Lindsay V Momo, Venus V Myskina

Myskina is a threat to Clijsters because she is not 100% fit. And her
record against Venus is nothing as far I am concerned. Taking one set
which she (Myskina did against Venus in Dubai) is not record in any way.

Kart
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:46 PM
There is no lock for the semi for anyone IMHO.

Lindsay could beat Justine.
Amelie, much as I do love her, can still be unreliable under pressure.
Kim is injured.
Venus, well I haven't seen any of her matches yet but she's probably the most likely to get there.

That said though, I still expect at least three of them to get there if not all four.

fammmmedspin
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:43 PM
Amazed if amelie doesn't make it. Justine is there unless the virus strikes or Lindsay plays better. Venus looks as good/bad as she usually does when heading to a SF - the commentators were wondering about how long it would take her injury to recur given that she was still swinging like she used to and the perpetual knee seems no better. Patty or Anna SP are ideal players to find out if the knee is bad. Kim looks good, but she has the survivors of Myskina/Schiavone/Rubin/Sharapova in her way and anyone of them is a threat if Kim is off and they are on.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:56 PM
Patty or Anna P as threats for Venus?! Come on....Patty barely got through her first-round and Anna is just a wall with no weapons.

crazillo
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:15 PM
after maggie went out today there´s no player left who can test mauresmo.

tennisIlove09
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:17 PM
Nothing is for sure. But I like Venus and Amelie's chances. Justine has Davenport and Kim has Myskina

pReUrBrIyN
Jan 21st, 2004, 08:21 PM
Justine-Mauresmo; Venus-Rubin

Justine will beat Davenport in straights. Mauresmo will beat some random in straights. Venus will beat Sugiyama in straights. Rubin will beat Clijsters in straights.

jenny161185
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:43 PM
davenport n mauesmo and KIM and Venus , I just have this strange feeling Lindsay will beat Justine

QUEENLINDSAY
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:56 PM
The only one sure for me in the semis is Mauresmo. She could reach finals and maybe win it if Justine wins her quarters with Lindsay, but i doubt it. Lindsay is saving her best tennis for bigger matches.

The second one is Venus, She could be up there already but an upset is really possible for her in AO.

Kim vs Myskina is a good match, but unless Kim is not bothered by her injury, she is a sure winner.

Lindsay vs Justine- This is a real test with both of them. I have a feeling that Lindsay's only opponent here is herself. If she could hold herself mentally, justine is gone.

ys
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:57 PM
I think it is too early to say. Venus has not played a serious match for half of year. We have no idea how will she react when someone powerful, quick and consistent ( as opposite to not_powerlful+slow+consistent=Ashley ) would try to break down her forehand a la Zvonareva at RG. She must be rusty, she must be not nearly as match tough as she should be. Lina K. could be a good test in that regard. Lina though has a tendency to completely fold in that kind of matches. We'll see.

Indeed, Mauresmo might not have to face a seed before semis.

Two Belgians.. Difficult to say, I expect both of them to have not a good year in 2004, but I am not sure it will start that way right in Australia. Justine might still have some momentum left in her from last year to even win it.

Andrew.
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:57 PM
Justine is sick and Lindsay seems pissed off when she's playing for some reason. I think Lindsay will actually overpower Justine and be very aggressive. When Lindsay is pissy (i.e. vs. Loit third set), that is not good for her opponent. Mauresmo will freaking walk into the semis. Venus should be able to get to the semis pretty easily also. I think Kim will either face Sharapova or Myskina, and will lose.

bandabou
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:29 PM
I think it is too early to say. Venus has not played a serious match for half of year. We have no idea how will she react when someone powerful, quick and consistent ( as opposite to not_powerlful+slow+consistent=Ashley ) would try to break down her forehand a la Zvonareva at RG. She must be rusty, she must be not nearly as match tough as she should be. Lina K. could be a good test in that regard. Lina though has a tendency to completely fold in that kind of matches. We'll see.

Indeed, Mauresmo might not have to face a seed before semis.

Two Belgians.. Difficult to say, I expect both of them to have not a good year in 2004, but I am not sure it will start that way right in Australia. Justine might still have some momentum left in her from last year to even win it.

Your thesis about Vee, may have some grounds...thing is that there ain´t no one like that left in her draw...sooo, that means an easy walk to the semis for ms. Williams.