PDA

View Full Version : Pratt - BOOOOORINNNNNG

V.Melb
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:48 AM
Poor Akiko Morigami. She hits beautiful double-handed drives and can pull off tricky drop shots when her opponent least expects it, or an inside out double handed forehand drive.... so attractive to watch. When faced with powerfull players such as Capriati and Sharapova she really holds her ground!

What a contrast to the gritty and dinky play from the tenacious Nicole Pratt.

Pratt slices the ball into the air, landing it inches from the baseline.... then jabs at a forehand.... appearing to mis-hit it.... but no, she's not mishitting it.... this rather unattractive and spitefull style of tennis is her game!
Grunting and scampering from side to side of the court like a little rat, relentlessly popping each ball back into the court.

This is awful to watch for a fan who appreciates the women on tour who are willing to take SOME sort of risk in their game and actually hit some winners.
Pratt specializes in tiring out her opponent... wearing them down. Truly depressing to watch.

In any case... Morigami would have prooved much more of a match for the powerfull Vera Zvonareva.
Instead i am going to see Pratt Hit off the court like she was in Sydney!

:( :( :(

~ The Leopard ~
Jan 21st, 2004, 05:56 AM
You've got to give her credit, though. She's a tenacious li'l thing, and that tenacity has just got her past a couple of tough opponents. In their different ways, Shaughnessy and Morigami are more exciting players than Pratt, but you can't blame her for winning the way she knows how.

LeonHart
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:30 AM
Poor Akiko :sad: I think she was just tired out at the end, for sure Akiko would have won the match if the conditions weren't so harsh :(

anthonyqld
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:31 AM
I was hoping Pratt lost.

Not because I'm anti-Australian, but because I want to see top players playing instead of Seven constantly showing Aussies no matter where they are ranked and who they are playing.

azza
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:34 AM
Nicole Play is yes boring but i still love the way she tire out her opponents :):):):)

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 21st, 2004, 06:52 AM
Why Akiko can't beat Nicole? :) Therefore, Nicole is better than Akiko! Duh!

Greenout
Jan 21st, 2004, 07:37 AM
Poor Akiko Morigami. She hits beautiful double-handed drives and can pull off tricky drop shots when her opponent least expects it, or an inside out double handed forehand drive.... so attractive to watch. When faced with powerfull players such as Capriati and Sharapova she really holds her ground!

What a contrast to the gritty and dinky play from the tenacious Nicole Pratt.

Pratt slices the ball into the air, landing it inches from the baseline.... then jabs at a forehand.... appearing to mis-hit it.... but no, she's not mishitting it.... this rather unattractive and spitefull style of tennis is her game!
Grunting and scampering from side to side of the court like a little rat, relentlessly popping each ball back into the court.

This is awful to watch for a fan who appreciates the women on tour who are willing to take SOME sort of risk in their game and actually hit some winners.
Pratt specializes in tiring out her opponent... wearing them down. Truly depressing to watch.

In any case... Morigami would have prooved much more of a match for the powerfull Vera Zvonareva.
Instead i am going to see Pratt Hit off the court like she was in Sydney!

I'm glad someone shares the same opinion on Pratt. I don't like her.
No offense to our friendly Aussie board members; but Pratt
makes me want to go "Phffef". She just doesn't radiate the sort
of excitement I like to see in matches or tennis players.

Kirt12255
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:02 AM
Hmmmmm.....she won the match....point 1 done. 2. If it bored you so much turn off the television! 3. I would rather watch Pratt over any of these juniors with no personailty that grunt like they are running from a psycho vaccum cleaner..4. Remember Pratt is 30....at least she is unique...5..there ARE other players on tour that don't play like 75% of the others...6...perhaps you should watch and learn.

Cheers Kirt :wavey:

~RedRose~
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:04 AM
meanwhile i think ur posts are boring :zzz:

azza
Jan 21st, 2004, 09:06 AM
Kirt :worship:

Mateo Mathieu
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:05 AM
Yeah, this is what professional players is all about! You can't tell them to lost their matches! :rolleyes:

Vincent
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:08 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Pratt.:) It's her style of play, but yes, it's kinda boring.

Jakeev
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:39 AM
If Akiko was the better player she would have won the match but she didn't. Like Pratt or not she did what she had to do to win the match even if it was ugly.

Doraemon
Jan 21st, 2004, 10:47 AM
I don't see anything wrong with Pratt.:) It's her style of play, but yes, it's kinda boring.

Exactly
Being boring still can win you matches. I would rather be boring than being a loser!

Rothes
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:11 AM
Yeah, What do you think Anna Pistolesi, Aniko Kapros and Nicole Pratt have in common?? ;) That sometimes their games are ugly to watch ;) ;) Though being consistent it does reap the rewards.

tennisvideos
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:13 AM
I have actually been rivetted to Pratt's matches. She doesn't have any big weapons and she has to try all manner of dinks etc to win. I think she is a very intelligent player who uses what strengths she has - speed, consistency, tenaciousness, and a clever mix of shots. You have to love her slice backhand down the line... She really gives her all and I admire her courage. IMO, it's more interesting to watch her craft a point than watching some big basher hit winners all over the place and minimal rallies. But everyone is entitled to their opinion. :)

Go Nicole!!!

Melly Flew Us
Jan 21st, 2004, 11:54 AM
Pratt slices the ball into the air ... then jabs at a forehand ... this rather unattractive and spitefull style of tennis is her game!

dude, vitriolic:lol:

Rising Sun
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Vixen, I'd have to agree with you. ;)

I really didn't mind Pratt's game until I finally saw her play live. :o
Akiko should have closed that match out after she levelled the 2nd set to 3-3. The 7th game was the turning point, and had Akiko won that game, I'm confident she would have finished the match off in straight sets. :(

I do think that Akiko's game has more potential in the long run, but congrats to Pratt for winning the match. She should commended for being the true 'Aussie battler' that she is.

I'm sure Akiko will want revenge (like she always does) the next time they play. ;)

SM
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:04 PM
its nicoles lack of a weapon that makes her more interesting to watch for me..

she has to work harder and its more of a cerebral game for her as she must totally use strategies. she plays with true passion to succeeding at doing that, so kudos to nicole..

btw after beating meghan it WAS expected she would beat akiko in 2 sets but well done to akiko for taking advantage of a tentative nicole, and good close match vs Vera by nicole considering she played much worse last week in sydney
! :):worship:

rated_next
Jan 24th, 2004, 08:05 PM
All I have to say is:

:cuckoo:

Darop.
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:46 PM
WTF, that was a stupid thing to say, every player has their own style of play, whether its going for a winner of the first ball or staying in the rally for as long as possible and tiring out your opponent....

Indipendently from that, Pratt is not at all that type of player, check out Smashnova if you really wanna see someting.

rated_next
Jan 24th, 2004, 11:21 PM
And Pratt does hit winners ... plenty of them actually.

TS
Jan 25th, 2004, 05:47 AM
I actually find Nicole Pratt exciting to watch, particularly against the big hitters. She goes for everything and just fights for every ball as everyone knows yada yada.

So Nicole doesn't take risks in her game? LOL! Try re-inventing your style of play at age 29 to keep up with the power hitters, is that not a risk?...and hey, she's still top 50, so it's working. She's adopted a topspin backhand for the first time in her career, and at her age is that not a risk? She dives for volleys and lands on her ass, is that not a risk? Nicole has made so much out of nothing (lets be honest, I love her but she's not the most gifted out there), how can anyone not admire the woman? I'd rather watch her than get bored to tears by the endless procession of human backboard machines that are being churned out these days. Yawn.

Gotta love Nicole Pratt...only she can give someone the shits so much that they whinge cos she beat their supposedly super talented fave....go Nicole!!! :kiss:

Oh well, to each their own! :D

esquímaux
Jan 25th, 2004, 08:06 AM
I agree! Pratt is making the most of what she has (as all players do, yet you shoot her down for doing it? :shrug: ). I've never seen a female player 'dive' for a shot, so I give Pratt props just for that :lol: Personally I like Pratt for bringing diversity to the game :worship:

PS: Viva las Moonball Mommas :rocker2:

Experimentee
Jan 25th, 2004, 02:10 PM
I like watching Pratt bc she always gives 100%, and battles so hard for every point, even diving for shots sometimes! She can beat more talented opponents bc of her tenacity.

Penne1
Jan 25th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Boring??? Maybe.

But it works - god I get tired just watching her!

I guess she doesn't have the power to hit heaps of winners - she has to work with her strengths and that is fitness, control and variety.

I admire her determination - she gets better and better at a time when a lot of players are considering giving the game away.

oh, she's AUSSIE to!!!

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY TO ALL FELLOW AUSSIES ON THE BOARD