PDA

View Full Version : Is it that hard?

for-sure
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Is it THAT hard to break into the top 100. With 1000's of girls playing tennis, what does it take to break into the top 100? Can a player make it on will alone...or do they need to be born with certain ability.

What are the chances that 10 year old Jane Doe will make it into the top 100 if she works really hard?

How have the Williams sisters/Sanchez family and the Maleeva sisters made you look differently at the issue?
Would the current (22 year old) 500th+ ranked player be no.3 had she been raised a Williams?

What is more important...talent or working hard (ala, fitness, diet, good coach)?

Ballbuster
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:57 PM
Yes!

Genetics is everything.

for-sure
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:01 PM
Yes!

Genetics is everything.

Richard Williams never looked like a great athlete to me...and heaven knows the only time Orcene shows any athletic ability is when she is running after the town ice-cream truck yet her kids beat out the sons and daughters of champion soccer players and Olympic swimmers.

darrinbaker00
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Richard Williams never looked like a great athlete to me...and heaven knows the only time Orcene shows any athletic ability is when she is running after the town ice-cream truck yet her kids beat out the sons and daughters of champion soccer players and Olympic swimmers.
1. Oracene ran track when she was in high school, and Richard is in his 60's. I have no idea what he looked like 40 years ago, but I'm sure he was in fairly good shape.

2. If all it took was talent alone, Anna Kournikova would still be in the top 10. If it was based on just hard work, all five of Jimmy Evert's kids would have made it, instead of just Chrissie. It takes the right combination of talent and hard work to make it, and that combination varies from person to person.

for-sure
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:31 PM
1. Oracene ran track when she was in high school, and Richard is in his 60's. I have no idea what he looked like 40 years ago, but I'm sure he was in fairly good shape.

2. If all it took was talent alone, Anna Kournikova would still be in the top 10. If it was based on just hard work, all five of Jimmy Evert's kids would have made it, instead of just Chrissie. It takes the right combination of talent and hard work to make it, and that combination varies from person to person.

I did not know that about Oracene. Thaks for the info! and good post! It helped me look at her in a different light.

calabar
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:52 PM
Two of Venus and Serena's other sisters played tennis in high school, according to media reports. So much for genetics.

WhatTheDeuce
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:53 PM
i agree...anna would probably be #1 if it was solely based on talent...