PDA

View Full Version : Are we loosing Kim?

Fedcup
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:05 PM
I'm having a feeling that the international media is making her australian (and not only the austalian press). And we all know what force the media has.

Everybody is already calling her Aussie Kim and I was surprised when the english eurosport commentators said that she was almost australian.

Hey folks she still belgian you know....

Why we shouldn't we adopt Hewitt to become belgian ;)

It's always the same. The little countries loose their "toppers"
i.e. Seles,Navratilova,Dokic...

Or I'm going too far right now? But why those press are behaving like she's australian and not belgian?

fifiricci
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:36 PM
I'm having a feeling that the international media is making her australian (and not only the austalian press). And we all know what force the media has.

Everybody is already calling her Aussie Kim and I was surprised when the english eurosport commentators said that she was almost australian.

Hey folks she still belgian you know....

Why we shouldn't we adopt Hewitt to become belgian ;)

i.e. Seles,Navratilova,Dokic...

Or I'm going too far right now? But why those press are behaving like she's australian and not belgian?
I would'nt worry too much at this stage that you are "losing" Kim to Australia. She was interviewed a few days ago and asked about playing Fed Cup for Australia and she was very non commital about that and said it would be very difficult for her to think like that at the moment. Also, you have to appreciate that it is natural that the Australians are calling her "Aussie Kim", as when she marries Lleyton she will effectively be an Australian citizen. But that's not to say that Kim will forget about Belgium or being Belgian and from what I remember of questions asked of Kim about her country, she always seems really proud to be Belgian and to do her bit.

I'm sure the Australians will be keen to "adopt" Kim, given that she's such a great person and so popular. Hell, I wish she was marrying a Brit!!

I'm sure Belgium will still have its rightful place in Kim's heart even if she does end up living in Australia most of the time and getting the barbie ready for Lleyton when he gets back from the golf course ...........

Brαm
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:01 PM
i.e. Seles,Navratilova,Dokic

Seles became American because there was war going on in YUG. Dokic left YUG for the same reason. Navratilova left Czechoslovakia because of the bad facilities there..

There is no war going on in Belgium & the conditions are great, with good tennis federations, trainers etc.

I don't think we will lose her...

Belgium = Best
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:15 PM
No I don't think so, because she wouldn't "betray" Belgium :D :) http://forum.fok.nl/i/s/yes_new.gif

~|Naomi|~
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:07 AM
The aussie media have called her aussie Kim for ages that is not new at all. And I sincerely doubt Kim would choose to play for Australlia due to pressures from the media. I really don't think she will play for australia. Each time she is asked she doesn't say no, but she really doesn't say yes. When asked at Hopman she said she was 'born belgian, her family are beglian and she is very proud of her country'. She may live here but I don't think she wille ever play for here.