PDA

View Full Version : Monday + Tuesday report

Experimentee
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM
I was too tired to write anything yesterday, so I'm just writing a bit about the matches I saw on both days.

Hantuchova def Ad Serra Zanetti

I only saw the last half of the 2nd set, but it looked like Dani still wasnt in good form, she'd play some horrible games where she sprayed everything out, and other games she'd play well and hit great serves and winners. Adriana played about as bad as Dani did though. She didnt look like she had any weapons at all and just hit weak shots into the net a lot of the time i was watching. Dani looks like she's put on a bit of weight from last year, but still awfully skinny.

Kapros def Petrova

Nadia played pretty bad, she was going for her shots as usual but hitting more errors than winners. Aniko still has a shocking 2nd serve, it was so slow but for some reason Nadia didnt do much with it, just hit it back down the middle. Aniko can mix her serve up well though, she'd push in a 90kph serve one time, then do an ace down the middle at 160kph the next point. Aniko has an excellent ground game, she was too consistent for Nadia and moved her around a lot in the rallies and hit a lot of winners too. I think the match was mostly decided on Nadia's vast amount of unforced errors, I dont think she was moving as well as she can, so her injury was probably still bothering her.

Fedak def Pisnik

I didnt see much but Tina was playing so bad, she made heaps of unforced errors and was getting frustrated at herself. Yuliana has a nice solid baseline game, she kept her errors down and surprisingly bagelled Tina. I didnt get to see her in qualifying but I can understand how she beat Tian Tian Sun now. She coming back well from her bad year last year.

Bovina def Kleinova

Bovina has definitely lost a lot of weight from last year. She looked very skinny and started off bad, going down 0-3 with two breaks. Kleinova was surprisingly making most of the play, with more winners and UE's than Elena. Elena's shots didnt look as penetrating as they were last year. Kleinova started making a lot of UE's and Elena got one of the breaks back, but couldnt get the other one despite having some chances and Sandra took the first 6-4. I didnt see any more after this.

Safina def Kurhajcova

There was nothing much between these girls, they were quite evenly matched from the baseline, both hit hard and went for the lines a lot, and a lot of times lacked consistency. However Safina had a better serve, she won a few free points with it, it is a great weapon for her. There was only one break in the first set, Dinara had a break in the 2nd but lost it, Lubo got it to the TB but made a lot of stupid errors to go down 1-6, and she couldnt recover from that.

Schnyder def Widjaja

Angie came out with her knee taped and in the first set she started very badly, she wasnt moving very well and was spraying errors all over the place. I thought the match would be over very quickly, as she went down 5-1 and was playing bad, and Patty was playing well. But Angie started to pick it up and started hitting her shots in consistently, and moved Patty around a lot. She got up to 5-3, but then lost 6-3. At the end of the second set Angie was still playing smart baseline tennis, and Patty seemed to have lost her head because she was missing so many easy balls, and was a bit frustrated with herself and the line calls. So Angie won the 2nd set 7-5. I didnt see the 3rd set, but Patty won that 6-3.

Bartoli def Stevenson

Marion looks like shes continued her Auckland form, she played very well hitting hard groundstrokes from the baseline and often following them into the net. She moved Stevenson around a lot, taking advantage of Alex's bad movement. Alex played pretty bad, she played some good points but mostly she couldnt finish them off, or she'd make a stupid error on the 2nd or 3rd ball. Marion was pretty intense, like she was at practice, and when she won she pumped her fist and screamed out "yes!" though i'm not sure why she was that excited, she surely knew she was going to win before the match, against someone like Alex. Shenay Perry was watching this for a bit too, I said hi to her.

Douchevina def Zheng

In the 1st set Jie looked like she was playing really bad, none of her shots were going in and she made lots of easy errors. Douchevina has a lot of weapons, she was hitting hard off both sides and going for the lines. Her serve is pretty good, not that fast but well placed. In the 2nd set Jie started playing better, she looks like a really good player, she has a good baseline game, is a good scrambler and can hit great shots while on the defensive. She plays really smart too, sometimes she can mix things up and go for shots like a slow roll cross court with angle (that one got Vera in trouble lots of times). Jie went up 3-0 in the 2nd, and had game points in the next two games but lost them both. She hit a lot of great shots from the baseline and had Vera running and on the defense a lot, but a lot of times she couldnt finish the point, and made errors on the last easiest balls. She managed to win the 2nd set 6-4, and after she won she called for the trainer. I'm not sure what they did but it looked like it was a problem with her left foot, probably blisters. When she came out she wasnt playing as well and Vera had the opportunity to attack everything and hit lots of winners. Jie was up 40-0 on one service game, but she made about 6 stupid errors to lose her serve, and she didnt win another game. The foot looked like it was bothering her bc the trainer was there at every change of ends. The match ended when Jie did a foot fault on her 2nd serve on match point :rolleyes: Vera Zvonareva and Zi Yan were watching this match, though Zi was more interested in reading the AO magazine and talking to her friends and hardly ever looked at the match lol.

Coetzer def Snyder

This match was so packed from start to finish, Amanda really does have a lot of fans in Melbourne. I didnt watch much bc most of the time there were so many people I couldnt even get a look in. It looked like the same story with all Amanda's matches she ground Tara down, returning every ball back deep, and Tara made the errors. The rallies were so long in this match. The scoreboard showed Tara ended up with over 50 unforced errors for only 16 games, which is the result of Amanda's game.

Golovin def Mikaelian

I joined this match at 5-0 and MGM had the trainer out, i'm not sure what it was, but she was lying down in front of her chair. I havent seen MGM play that much, so I'm not sure if she was hampered as i dont know how she normally moves or hits. Tatiana was really impressive, she was hitting hard and going for her shots on every point, and making hardly any unforced errors and many winners. I think she can definitely do well in the future, she is as good as most top 100 players now and can improve. She took the first set 6-0 and went up 2-0 in the 2nd, and she had break point when MGM just walked off the court again and called for the trainer in the middle of the game. Tatiana was a bit pissed off i think, she said to the umpire "how many times can she call the trainer?". MGM retired a bit later, but Tatiana probably would have won anyway, she was playing that well.

Likhovtseva def Randriantefy

Dally is a fun player to watch, she has so much variety and uses a lot of spins and slices, and mixed things up a lot. She was using this to great effect in the first set, but in the 2nd and 3rd sets she went off the boil and started missing all the shots she was making before, Elena was returning the ball back better, and Dally made all the errors.

Lina K def Sprem

This was just a battle of two players hitting hard and flat from the baseline and neither of them came to the net much. Both of them made lots of errors, but Lina was the steadier of the two. Sprem made a lot more winners than Lina, her talent was impressive, but also a lot more unforced errors. I thought neither of them played well today. Lindsay Lee Waters was watching this, I said a few words to her and got her autograph, she said she would be playing Rockford next.

Smart
Jan 20th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the reports. Nice to hear Marion played well.

bbypk
Jan 20th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Thanks! :)

ghosts
Jan 20th, 2004, 03:00 PM
cool

TheBoiledEgg
Jan 20th, 2004, 03:45 PM
thanx Liz for report :)
good u watched Vera D :)

Randy H
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:02 PM
thanks for the report :)

typical Mikaelian :lol: she acts like she is still a junior with all of her mind games she likes to try when she's losing

Sportfan
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the review I was expecting more from Alex but she has really stalled with her game maybe she will do better as the season moves along.

kyk710
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Awesome Report :worship: Thanks so much.
Have you ever seen Tian Tian play?

croat123
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:06 PM
nice report :D

k-lina :rolleyes: at least you saw potential in her :)

for-sure
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:08 PM
thanks for the report. I would give you rep. points...but I am all max-ed out! :)
Wonderful :)

Rocketta
Jan 21st, 2004, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the report but you know where you need to post this as well...;)

Dymension
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:20 AM
Fantastic report :bounce:

¤CharlDa¤
Jan 21st, 2004, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the report Experimentee!

Did you get to see the Pelletier/Morigami match?

Doris Loeffel
Jan 21st, 2004, 01:36 PM
Thanks Liz

beauty_is_pink
Jan 21st, 2004, 02:04 PM
Thank You!

Experimentee
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:56 AM
Awesome Report :worship: Thanks so much.
Have you ever seen Tian Tian play?

Yeah i saw Tian Tian in qualifying, shes really impressive, shes got great groundstrokes and serve, especially a powerful forehand. I mentioned a bit about her in my qualifying report on Fri and Sat, VMelb also wrote about her in his report on Fri. You might want to check that out. :)

Experimentee
Jan 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM
How come so many of you know my name anyway? :eek:
I dont think i've ever mentioned it on this board.