PDA

View Full Version : The Official Geaux Chanda Cheering Thread

Brian Stewart
Jan 19th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Well, tomorrow it starts. A veteran opponent is waiting in Asa. You'll need to come out strong, Chanda! You can do it! Best of luck!

GEAUX CHANDA!

Hagar
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Go Chanda!

Libertango
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:29 AM
You can do it Chanda!! :bounce: :yeah:

GoSandrine
Jan 19th, 2004, 06:14 PM
All the best Chanda Sweetness :hearts:

A decent draw. If form holds Francesca is looming in Round Three and Nastya in Round Four. All in all if Chanda's on her game and holds her nerve she could go far here especially with an ailing Kim in her quarter...

Geaux Chanda!!!:banana:

Brian Stewart
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Chanda, Chanda, Chanda. I've never done anything to you. So why are you trying to kill me?

Whew! Talk about nearly snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! Hopefully it was just "first match nerves". You'll need to be a bit more solid against Denisa. You can do it, Chanda! Best of luck!

GEAUX CHANDA!

kyk710
Jan 20th, 2004, 11:02 PM
Chanda :rolleyes: You scared me half to death against Asa! Especially after starting out so well.
Keep your concentration against Denisa! Even out that head to head record against her :fiery:

Brian Stewart
Jan 22nd, 2004, 09:49 AM
A better effort this time. Chanda was a bit more settled. There is still some tidying up to do, but she's on the right track.

Next up is another veteran, Elena Likhovtseva. You'll need a solid performance, Chanda. You can do it! Best of luck!

GEAUX CHANDA!

GoSandrine
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:09 AM
Solid straight set win by Chanda against Denisa. :yippee: Hopefully Chanda's picking up confidence with each match.

If anyone's interested her head to head against Elena:

Chanda RUBIN (USA) v Elena LIKHOVTSEVA (RUS)
1993 US Open Hard (O) 64 Chanda RUBIN 6-4 6-3
1998 Indian Wells Hard (O) 64 Chanda RUBIN 3-6 6-3 7-6
1998 New Haven Hard (O) 32 Chanda RUBIN 3-6 6-3 6-1

Chanda RUBIN (USA) leads 3 : 0

Brian, Elena's playing VERY well so this will be a test. Chanda will have to bear down to get through this. :boxing: I expect that she will. :cool:

Geaux Chanda Sweetness!!! :hearts::bounce:

Libertango
Jan 22nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
WOW, they first played back in 93?! :eek:

Good luck Chanda!!!! :bounce:

kyk710
Jan 22nd, 2004, 05:45 PM
Go chanda!

pReUrBrIyN
Jan 22nd, 2004, 10:23 PM
GEAUX CHANDA

Brian Stewart
Jan 24th, 2004, 10:30 AM
A very nice performance today. Now a rematch from last year; Anastasia again. If Chanda keeps her nerves in check, she can win this. (A little more oomph on the serve wouldn't hurt, either.) You can do it, Chanda! Best of luck!

GEAUX CHANDA!

GoSandrine
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Very impressive win by Chanda against Elena L. Zero DFs, 21 winners and only 12 errors! :yeah: If she plays as well against Nastya, Chanda should win. Here's there head to head:

Chanda RUBIN (USA) v Anastasia MYSKINA (RUS)

1999 Kremlin Cup Carpet (I) 32 Anastasia MYSKINA 4-6 3-6
2000 Amelia Island Clay (O) 32 Chanda RUBIN 6-1 3-6 6-4
2002 Eastbourne Grass (O) FR Chanda RUBIN 6-1 6-3
2003 Australian Open Hard (O) 16 Anastasia MYSKINA 6-4 4-6 1-6

Tied 2 : 2

Revenge for last year! :fiery:
Geaux Chanda!!!! :rocker:

pReUrBrIyN
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Rubin will win this in two. Myskina hit like 1000 errors in her match vs. Sharapova!

kyk710
Jan 24th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Chanda can beat Myskina if she plays like she played against Likhovtseva. Besides, it's time to get revenge from last year :fiery:

GO CHANDA!

Libertango
Jan 24th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Yea, if both players repeat their form of the third round, Chanda should win. Go Chanda! :D

Bероника
Jan 24th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Go Chanda!!!!

Kick some russian's ass!!!!!

GoSandrine
Jan 26th, 2004, 05:15 AM
:sad: :sad: :sad:

Very disappointing result but from what I saw it looked like Nastya played a terrific match. Anyone have anything to report?

Still love ya Chanda. Good luck the rest of the year. :hug:

Brian Stewart
Jan 26th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Unfortunately, we didn't get to see the whole match. ESPN2 picked it up at 5-4 in the first set. My observations of the match from that point onward:

Firstly, Chanda's serve was abysmal. The biomechanics are bad to begin with, but the toss is totally screwing it up. She's basically throwing the ball straight up, and backing out from under it while trying to reach forward to hit the ball. Her center of gravity is moving backward while she's trying to move her arm forward into the shot. No wonder she had shoulder problems. And no wonder she's not getting any sting on the ball. There are some very good pictures at the Gettyimages site that underscore this. Look at Lisa Raymond, who is making contact with her serve well into the court. Then look at the pics of Chanda. Her toss is coming down behind the baseline!!! She's actually leaning over backwards at the start. This is resulting in an arm serve. If she were to use a proper motion, she'd add about 20% to her average serve speeds. Just correcting the toss would improve things considerably, probably adding at least 10% to speed, and drasically creasing her % of serve points won.

As to the rest of the match, well, it was another choke. You can tell when Chanda is playing nervously. She's practically pushing her serve in. She makes bad errors because her feet aren't set. And the biggest sign is where the ball lands. When Chanda keeps the ball deep on her groundstrokes, she wins the vast majority of those points. Against everybody. In today's match, they were landing in "the nervous zone"; her shots were plopping down short, mostly on or inside the service line. This allows opponents to step in and tee off. It also inflates their winners totals in a hurry. To the untrained eye (i.e. 99% of all tennis writers and commentators), it looks like the opponent "stepped up" or "took control", when it's actually Chanda relinquishing control of the point by yielding court position. She can get away with it against mid-ranked players, but not against those at or near the top.

Chanda has apparently become more aware of her choking problem. (As have the others on the tour. Myskina herself made reference to this in her interview. The "book" is to stay out there and wait for Chanda to choke.) When she got behind, Chanda tried to force herself to be more aggressive. Unfortunately, this meant approaching from bad court position, often behind poor approach shots, giving Myskina some open passing lanes. And Chanda made some very poor tactical decisions under pressure. She pulled one of my pet bugaboos, the "hit the approach down the line and charge to the middle of the net like an idiot" play. This leaves the line WIDE open for a pass. On the women's tour, you can't get away with this. Also, Chanda committed the single most grievous mistake any net rusher can make. The crosscourt approach shot TO the opponent who is sitting in the opposite corner. It is physically impossible for any human to cover the line.

Basically, it was a matter of too poor serving, and too much nervous/timid play, and too many mistakes, against a very good opponent. That's the bad news. The good news is, the problems Chanda had today are highly correctable. Just fixing that service motion, to make her serve more powerful and more reliable, would give her level of play a huge boost. If she's not getting attacked on her serve, she can be more aggresive herself, both on serve and return games. And she needs to find a happy medium on her groundstrokes when she's nervous. She's either overly cautious, and winds up pushing the ball into the middle of the court, or she tries to force it, and makes errors when the shot is rushed. She needs to hit through the ball when she adds topspin for control. When you're making a lot of errors, you either pull back on the pace, or add some topspin. Not both. Take all of the shots that are landing just out, and hit them the exact same way, but with a smidge of spin.

Libertango
Jan 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM
I agree with almost all you say Brian. I watched the match from the start and Chanda played the first four games almost perfectly. Attacking, aggressive tennis and she was on top. Its no coincidence that she won those four games AND was net rushing. But as soon as she retreats a little she loses all confidence. Against someone like Nastya you aren't going to get away with it.
I agree that serve needs lots of work. She looked like she wasn't extending at all at one point, almost bent double as she hit the serve! That second serve was sometimes so slow. Even as she won the first set you could see how tight she was and didn't believe she could win, whereas Nastya, even though she'd just lost the set had a look, that she knew she was going to win.

Also, does anyone think that Chanda should maybe change coaches?? Not because Benny is a bad coach, he's done an amazing job with her, with her up-and-down career, but simply to put a new perspective on things, giver her a new challenge. Just a thought......

Bероника
Jan 26th, 2004, 12:58 PM
I'm so disappointed by this result.I hope Chanda takes seriously your good advices.

RainyDays
Jan 26th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Brian, you should be a commentator.