PDA

View Full Version : English Tennis Players

Jessica02
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:16 PM
For a country as well populated as we are there are not enough female English gals playing tennis.

I know about Elena Balacha Ive never seen her play, but i hear she is promising.

I heard that there was a Russian girl who was going to represent England, does anyone know anything about her?

:confused:

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Elena is pretty decent but won't be anything better than the average player

the Russian girl .... Katia Rubenova, Olga Morozova's daughter..... she did but she doesn't play anymore. She really didn't play on the tour really, only some junior events.

Non of the current junior prospects are better than whats currently on offer.

Hannah is too lightweight and will do well to break top 200.

Anne Keothavong and Elena Baltacha are best hopes but top 100 for them would be asking too much.

thefreedesigner
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:27 PM
Baltacha has power, but not too much talent unfortunately (though she is officially Scottish rather than English ;))

Anne Keovathang probably has more talent, but (and I hate to say this) unfortunately that's really nothing to write home about.

Louise Latimer and Julie Pullin I would say are the most talented, but Louise is such a frustrating competitor.

I'm hoping that Alex Bogdanovic might make some noise though. :)

Jessica02
Feb 15th, 2002, 08:35 PM
Thankyou for ypur info.

I like the look of Alex Bognadanovic he has had some great results so hopefully he can do well in the future.

I suppose for now I'll have to make do with the snob and the Canadian. j/k ;)

veryborednow
Feb 15th, 2002, 09:59 PM
English tennis players

ahem. Isn't that an oxymoron??

Monica_Rules
Feb 15th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by TheBoiledEgg

Anne Keothavong and Elena Baltacha are best hopes but top 100 for them would be asking too much.

WHAT? Even there coach who always slaggs off his own players saying there never gonna make it has said they can get Top 100 and i believe him and i believe in them!Elena and Anne are both very talanted very athetic and play the modern power game of tennis.People like you need to shut up and stop acting as if you know everything they have a future and people need to stop pressuring them and stop having a downer on them whenevr they loose one match.

i say good luck to Elena abd Anne they are 18 for gods sake and Elena is ranked 231(after her latest result) for a brit at 18 that is very good maybe not for other countries but the brits have alwasy been slower to develop.

Monica_Rules
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:54 AM
*bump*

thefreedesigner
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:09 PM
Yeah Monica_Rules, for an 18 year old Brit that's good. But comparing either Anne or Elena to other Brits is not much of a comparison, if you know what I mean.

Elena is very powerful in her shots particularly serve and I hope she can get top 100, but if she's the next hope, bring back Anabel Croft!!!!

j/k

Monica you follow the British juniors right? Is there anyone round the 13/14/15 age who's really promising. In terms of real tennis skills that you know of (not just in 'British tennis terms'?

*please say yes* :D

Jippo McScally
Feb 16th, 2002, 12:18 PM
I think Elena and Anne could do it!!!!

Before that though Louise was our best hope!!!!

COME BACK LOUISE!!!!

thefreedesigner:We do have Georgia Rose who's 15/16(?)!

TheBoiledEgg
Feb 16th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Myfyr ..... you know very well they just dont cut it.

If there was a 4 month grass season then I'd say they could be top 50 even.

But apart from doing ok on grass, on other surfaces they are not good enough.

Georgia Rose is a Brit only by name. she was born in NZL and lives in US.

13/14/15 yr olds ????? seriously I not seen one or i would know about it.

Plus Brits don't mature until they are 35.

Monica_Rules
Feb 16th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Ah so thats why Anne has beaten many players ranked over 100 places above to to get into semis and quarters of 25k and 50k event.And thats why Elena qualifyied for Eastbourne just cos its grass!I'm sure!

Georgia Rose is a brit then isn't she!

Shes 15 and last year had great results in the first part of the year but then faded out!

There is a girl Francess Hendry whos 15/16 is very promesing shes already ranked 950 and barely plays pro events over the next few years we will see if she can fully develop into a great player.

Another problen for Britain is that the girls don't take the sport up pro untill they are 16 wereas in other countries they are 13/14 doing the same thats a 2/3 year advantage!And many brits quite and go off to uni at about 18/19 when they are doing OK but not good enough!

Jippo McScally
Feb 16th, 2002, 06:56 PM
Um Myfyr TBE has a point!!!
Anne has beaten 1 player close to the top 100, Seda Noorlader who isnt the same as she was, and she was ranked 109!(This might be wrong). And Elena Baltacha's good restults have been on Grass. But I do think they could do well!

sartrista7
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:00 PM
Monica_Rules, I support Anne and Elena as much as the next Brit (not cos they're British though), but even taking a glimpse at their results you have to admit that they haven't yet shown that they're capable of cracking the top 100. Anne's barely won a match since last July, for God's sake. Elena's done nothing of note outside of the grass court season. They might be late developers, but they're being saddled with ridiculously high expectations right now.

xan
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:33 PM
I think Elena definately is a good prospect, I saw her play last year at Wimbledon, and she has a good basic game and an extremely powerful serve. The big fault I saw in her which was holding her back was that if she didn't immediately win the point on her serve or the follow up, she allowed herself to get drawn into long baseline rallies, which she usually lost.

So long as her coach corrects this, and gets her to break up the rallies with more more aggression and work at the net, she could go very far imo.:cool:

MLF
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:37 PM
I've been courtside to see many, many players over the years at major events plus Challengers and though I wish I were wrong Baltacha and Keothavong aren't top 100 material. They just don't cut it to be blunt with you. Hannah Collin is too frail .
Sarah Loosemore was the last genuine hope I feel but she got disillusioned. Sam Smith came back to the game too late to fully realise her total potential and Louise Latimer looks like going the same way. Hopefully someone's going to prove me wrong.

Monica_Rules
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Anne has barely won a match since july huh

Semi final in Cardiff
Quarter in Southampton
Quarter in another 25k event

Maybe this years results have been bad but there must be a reason Anne is a much better player than her results for 2002 show!

Jipp exactly where did i say she had beaten a lot of players ranked close to the top 100?Seda was 103 when she beat her!

I said she had beaten many players ranked over a 100 places ahead of her.Also Anne beat Eva Bes in the European cup last November who is a Top 100 player!

I shouldn't have to justify why i believe they are good players and will get to the top 100.I have never stated that they will win grandslams or be top 10 all i have said is they arte capable of the top 100 they have the talent,determination,athletisism.

Good luck to you girls!

Jippo McScally
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:53 PM
All everybody else is doing is doing is giving there opinion!!!!

And it' JippO!!!
lol

Jessica02
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:53 AM
The problem with England is that they teach their players to win Wimbledon and thats it.

Making any kind of transistion from the LTA from the WTA is going to be extremely dificult as there are only like 5? grasscourt tourneys on the WTA.

They need to build some more hardcourts and get our youngsters playing on that.

Jippo McScally
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:04 PM
I would think Clay courts would be better!!!
We dont have many good clay courters if any!!

-Sonic-
Feb 18th, 2002, 11:59 AM
"Brits don't mature until they are 35"

i hope you're talking tennis, cos that would explain why i am so pants at it right now.

sartrista7
Feb 18th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Monica_Rules, that's seven matches and very little else for six months' play. She's not going to be getting to the top 100 any time soon.

rightous
Feb 18th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Britain needs to invest in inner city tennis programmes and build more tennis courts, both indoor facilities and a better variety of courts, clay, cement etc.

In answer to the question I have seen Elena play she was good but I'm sorry I don't think she can cut it in the Top 100, I hope she proves me wrong, I haven't seen Anne play but from what i hear she viewed the same.

Tatiana Panova
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:45 PM
I read that Anne and Elena were only going to give it a couple more years, and then go to uni if they did not make it - I understand because it must be really depressing not be the very best in your field, and know that you probably never can be.

When I saw them play they looked like they were working very hard, and they were brilliant. Unfortunately though to be the top 100 you have to absolutely work your butt off and be totally dedicated. That is why so many Eastern countries make it - because their work ethic is that much better.

I think that we will have tennis stars but not for the next 10-15 years when the tennis programs really kick in. What we really need though is better athletes, and British tennis to lose its arrogance, and for the some of the players to commit themselves in the way that others do. This may sound nasty but I think that nowadays yo have to be a good athlete to make it in tennis - most of our players are NOT!! Some of them would look more at home in BurgerKing or as a sultry assistant in NewLook. The bad athletes inc. Julie Pullin, Louise, Jamie Delgado, Lee Childs, Martin Lee - the list goes on.

The British Tennis establishment is a joke and everyone knows it!