View Full Version : Myanmar's Suu Kyi ''100 percent OK'' after operation

Sep 19th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Myanmar's Suu Kyi ''100 percent OK'' after operation

By Aung Hla Tun

YANGON, Sept. 19 Myanmar opposition icon Aung San Suu Kyi, detained at a secret location by the military government for more than three months, underwent successful ''major'' surgery in Yangon on Friday, her personal doctor said.

''The situation is one hundred percent okay,'' Tin Myo Win told reporters at the private Asia Royal Hospital after the three hour operation.
''It was a major operation. She has regained consciousness and she can talk,'' he said. He declined to say what the operation was for, citing medical ethics, or how long Suu Kyi was expected to remain in hospital.
American, British and Italian diplomats arrived at the hospital with flowers for Suu Kyi, 58, who was also reported to have undergone an operation on the uterus on Thursday.
Word spread that she was in hospital and anxious followers camped inside the heavily-guarded hospital, where the floor on which she was staying and that housing the operating theatres were sealed off by plainclothes police.
''It's a great relief to hear that the operation was a success,'' one old woman told Reuters as she waited with about 20 other supporters for news on the revered Nobel laureate.
A leading Asian rights body urged the international community to pile pressure on Myanmar's ruling generals to release Suu Kyi after 3- months in detention.
''The fact that she is now in hospital highlights the need for more international pressure for her immediate release,'' Sunai Pasuk, a leader of the rights group Asia Forum, said in Bangkok.
The 1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner has been held at a secret location since a bloody May 30 clash between her followers and government supporters in northern Myanmar.
Her last contact with the outside world was two weeks ago when the Red Cross found her in good health and eating after the United States said she was a hunger strike.
Yangon says Suu Kyi is being held for her own protection and refuses to free her despite international outrage and tougher sanctions imposed by the United States and European Union.

NLD officials and diplomats speculated the military may seek to deflect international pressure by allowing Suu Kyi to convalesce at her Yangon home under house arrest, as she has been for more than half the last 14 years.
''This has created an opportunity for the government because it has not wanted to appear to make the decision under pressure,'' a Yangon-based Asian diplomat said.
Sunai disagreed, saying Suu Kyi would probably be returned to the military compound where she is believed to have spent much of her latest detention.
''By moving her to the house she would have access to the outside world and the government is not ready for that yet.''
Special envoys from the United Nations and Indonesia are awaiting permission to visit Myanmar to check on Suu Kyi's condition and press for her release.
The U.N. envoy to Myanmar, veteran Malaysian diplomat Razali Ismail, last saw Suu Kyi in early June.
Razali has visited Myanmar repeatedly over the past two years to encourage talks on national reconciliation and a democratic transition in the former British colony ruled by the military since a 1962 coup.
Indonesia, current chairman of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN), one of the few groups which will have Myanmar as a member, has called for her to be freed before its leaders meet on the Indonesian island of Bali next month.
Suu Kyi's NLD won elections in 1990 but has never been allowed to take power. The military has warned of instability if Western-style democracy were imposed on the country.