PDA

View Full Version : If VENUS plays Maursesmo, which player will they cheer or boo?


TeeRexx
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Last year the Americans were very rude at the U.S. Open when, during the VENUS/Mauresmi match, Momo was heartily cheered over the American.

Now, in Miami, some of the American crowd heartily booed Emilie Loit because the player's country is against the U.S. led invasion of Iraq.

Now, suppose VENUS meets Momo in the semis, will Momo be booed or cheered or will a WILLIAMS finally get fan support in her own country?

ttaM
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:33 PM
The crowd will sit in bare silence :angel:

~ The Leopard ~
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:42 PM
[QUOTE='TeeRexx']Last year the Americans were very rude at the U.S. Open when, during the VENUS/Mauresmi match, Momo was heartily cheered over the American.

Now, in Miami, some of the American crowd heartily booed Emilie Loit because the player's country is against the U.S. led invasion of Iraq.
QUOTE]

Cheering for a player is not the same as booing the player's opponent. Nor is it "rude" to cheer for someone.

Tennis Fool
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:43 PM
The crowd will see the wrong of it's ways and cheer for both :angel:

leslie
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:44 PM
Last year the Americans were very rude at the U.S. Open when, during the VENUS/Mauresmi match, Momo was heartily cheered over the American.

Now, in Miami, some of the American crowd heartily booed Emilie Loit because the player's country is against the U.S. led invasion of Iraq.

Now, suppose VENUS meets Momo in the semis, will Momo be booed or cheered or will a WILLIAMS finally get fan support in her own country?

TeeRexx, they'll still boo Venus.

wongqks
Mar 19th, 2003, 10:45 PM
yay what a surprise teerexx and leslie agree with each other again

jenny161185
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:03 PM
They just want someone else to win for a change though I think they'll cheer fort Venus this time with how Loit was treated

venusfan
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:09 PM
Come It's America and Venus is paying what do u expect? They will still cheer more for Mauresmo.

TeeRexx
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:34 PM
LOL@VenusFan :)

The only situation that could be more ironic would be to have the match between VENUS & Momo played at Indian Wells. :)

BK4ever
Mar 19th, 2003, 11:40 PM
even if they boo amelie and cheer venus it will be more a cheer against amelie than a cheer for venus ;)

Dawn Marie
Mar 20th, 2003, 12:58 AM
Without a doubt they will still boo Venus!! Remember there are still alot of dumb fucks who LOVE tennis and who will be in the stands. This is tennis were talkin about here?

*JR*
Mar 20th, 2003, 03:04 AM
As the W/S live in Palm Beach less than 2 hours drive away, that may be why they're better received. AND don't discount the crowd being put to shame in the local media for booing Emilie and many going out of the way to cheer Amelie and Nathalie to say "we're not buffoons". And let's see if Baby Brother Jeb (Guv of Florida) appeals for the players not to get "blamed" by the crowd. :confused:

Jakeev
Mar 20th, 2003, 03:09 AM
Oh my gosh. Somebody please give joussaint a big bear hug for nailing it right on the head.

But since I can't baby here is this for you instead :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

If only some of the other posts could have been as right on as yours......but then again look who you were responding to ;)

Bright Red
Mar 20th, 2003, 03:16 AM
Now, suppose VENUS meets Momo in the semis, will Momo be booed or cheered or will a WILLIAMS finally get fan support in her own country?

It's terrible that I honestly can't answer this question with confidence. It's a great insight on your part, Mr. Rexx. :wavey: But if I absolutely had the say, the crowd will probably be silent throughout the match for the most part, but if a boo were to be uttered against a player, then there's a 51% chance it would be directed to Venus, 49% to Momo. Now that's truly sad :sad:

K155-k155
Mar 20th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Bump :bounce:

TeeRexx
Mar 20th, 2003, 05:57 AM
Bright Red - A very good point.
Hopefully they will cheer both players and just enjoy the tennis.

Dava
Mar 20th, 2003, 10:52 AM
I think the crowd should put its attitudes aside and enjoy what is going to be a great match.

If you want to diss Frances appeasement go to a political rally, if you want a three set thriller what V and Momo slog it out.

Cariaoke
Mar 20th, 2003, 12:29 PM
I just want to ROFL @ this topic.
bwahahahahahahahahahaha!
ok I'm done. :wavey:

Mateo Mathieu
Mar 20th, 2003, 12:32 PM
They booed Venus during the US Open because they don't want see another match for an All-Williams Final so, I guess they will still booing on Venus once again!

Hendouble
Mar 20th, 2003, 12:38 PM
If the tournament wants to take the logical step to prevent problems about crowd favouritism and hostility, they should ban all crowds from attending any matches and have the players strut their stuff in front of empty courts.

Better still, why not disqualify all American and French players in both the women's and men's draw? That way, the crowds can still watch tennis but will have to sit there in silence as South Americans that they don't care about duke it out with Eastern Europeans that they don't care about, until we get the Denisa Chladkova vs Maria Diaz-Oliva final that we richly deserve.

vs1
Mar 20th, 2003, 04:30 PM
OR it could be a Dinara Safina-Rita Grande final!!!! :drool: :D :lick:

Helen Lawson
Mar 20th, 2003, 05:12 PM
Venus is their "hometown" girl as she has lived in South Florida longer than anywhere else. From TV, the crowds there always like her. I hope no one heckles the French players. I think as long as they do not speak about the war no one will bug them. I can only hope the journalists have the good sense (!!) to avoid asking French and even other European players what their views are of the war. That could create a lot of needless ugliness.

Jakeev
Mar 20th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Lol vs1 but:

shhhhhh(Grande is out)