PDA

View Full Version : For Seles fans: need advice!


kku
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Hey! I consider myself to be a true Monica Seles fan...and that means not only praising her 24/7, but also admitting and discussing her weaknesses on court.

I've noticed lots of Seles fans here (selesadmirer, selesrules...you get the picture) and I'd just like to say that you guys are great! Thanks for defending Monica from a few unsensitive pricks who make nasty comments about Monica and constantly put her down.

Anyway, I just wanted to know what you guys REALLY think of Monica's chances of a full recovery? Personally, I would like to think that Monica might magically come back and dominate WTA like she did from 1990-1993. But I've faced the reality that she's probably way past her prime and her best years are behind her.

Why? Well, nobody can question the champion's determination on court. You could just see the aggressiveness on her face when she clobbers the ball. She never gives up trying to play her best and that's why I really admire her. Good example is at the Aussie Open this year when despite her ankle problems, Monica kept on playing her 2nd round match (even though she knew she was going to lose to a player ranked outside the top 50). Another is at Miami 2000 where instead of defecting, she kept on playing against Martina despite a swollen ankle and the embarrasement of losing 6-0, 6-0.

So what will it take for Monica to reach at least to a GS winning form? I, for one, would love to see her win Wimbledon before she reitres. Then her GS tally would be 4AO, 3RG, 1W and 2US. IMO, Monica needs to improve her fitness dramatically. Playing with two hands on both strokes is extremely difficult and Monica will have to be incredibly fast to have enough time to properly hit her forehands and backhands. That's why if Monica is much fitter, she'd be able to always comfortably use her unique two-hander and therefore make much less unforced errors and therefore hit the ball so damn hard that Venus, Serena and co would break a few bones trying to reach for those Monica shots.

To win Wimbledon (or any other GS and reach back to #1), Monica only really needs to work on her mobility.

That's my opinion. What about the other Seles fans? I'd love to read your opinions and analysis :)

tennisfun
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Hey don't worry. seles had a great career since her come back. She reached many slam finals, well thats almost as good as winning according to ur seles fanatics. SO be happy. MANY YEARS LATER, probably u guys can all talk about all those great finals she didn't win and how great she was.

lavie
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:25 AM
She sould retire by the end of the year.

selesrules
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:30 AM
kku, ignore those idiots.

Anyways, personally I think that if she were to win a grandslam, it will be Wimbledon. Surface doesn't matter, in the last few years her results have been almost equal on all surfaces in slams and she reached the quarters the last 2 times at Wimbledon. I think that what she needs is a breakthrough win and this could equally happen at any of the slams, but I think her motivation will be bigger at Wimbledon. I think she still has a shot, in the last 15 months, she's beaten all the top players and this week her matches against Amelie and Henin showed that she's far from over. Hopefully she won't be unlucky like at the AO this year, I'm looking forward to the rest of the slams especially Wimbledon. She needs to have her serve & return working in that tournament, she has the weapons. Keep the faith and ignore the haters. By their theory, everyone should retire except Serena :rolleyes: Even Kim, Justine, Amelie, Daniela, Jelena have NEVER won a slam and yet some people make a big deal about Monica :rolleyes: Also it's been years since Lindsay won too. Just ignore the Monica haters.

GO MONICA! :bounce:

kku
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by tennisfun
Hey don't worry. seles had a great career since her come back. She reached many slam finals, well thats almost as good as winning according to ur seles fanatics. SO be happy. MANY YEARS LATER, probably u guys can all talk about all those great finals she didn't win and how great she was.

OK. Since her comeback, she's had a record many players envy.

BUT I could only imagine how horrible Monica must've felt to know that she once dominated the sport and in just one single fateful moment (obviously not of her own doing), it's taken away from her.

I mean, compare her years of 1990-1993 to 1996-present (95 doesn't count b/c it wasn't a full comeback year) and you can see that the early 90's dwarf the present. I feel pissed off if I study hard for an exam and b/c of an injury, I either miss it or not get a good mark. Imagine how Monica feels bout her loss.

Of course, she can't take back the years she's loss. But she does have a slim chance of making up for lost time.

Also, imagine how much more GS Monica would win if she wasn't stabbed.

kku
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by lavie
She sould retire by the end of the year.

Hopefully NOT. I'd also love to see Monica win Gold at the Olympics in Athens next year :)

kku
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by selesrules
kku, ignore those idiots.

Anyways, personally I think that if she were to win a grandslam, it will be Wimbledon. Surface doesn't matter, in the last few years her results have been almost equal on all surfaces in slams and she reached the quarters the last 2 times at Wimbledon. I think that what she needs is a breakthrough win and this could equally happen at any of the slams, but I think her motivation will be bigger at Wimbledon. I think she still has a shot, in the last 15 months, she's beaten all the top players and this week her matches against Amelie and Henin showed that she's far from over. Hopefully she won't be unlucky like at the AO this year, I'm looking forward to the rest of the slams especially Wimbledon. She needs to have her serve & return working in that tournament, she has the weapons. Keep the faith and ignore the haters. By their theory, everyone should retire except Serena :rolleyes: Even Kim, Justine, Amelie, Daniela, Jelena have NEVER won a slam and yet some people make a big deal about Monica :rolleyes: Also it's been years since Lindsay won too. Just ignore the Monica haters.

GO MONICA! :bounce:

Funny that you say "surface isn't a problem", because Monica seems to be clearly troubled on grass in the past few years. Her worst performing GS is at Wimbledon...and I suspect that's because grass is a faster surface that Rebound Ace, Clay, Carpet or Hardcourt and it allows power-hitters to expose Monica's weakness on court (her mobility).

Anyway, thanks for your insight and I will ignore the haters.

Tennis Fool
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:36 AM
I've said it once and I'll say it again.
What's really holding Monica back: FITNESS FITNESS FITNESS! This was an 800 pound gorilla asleep while she was winning slams that awoke when she went on her sabbatical. Since Monica has never been a fitness buff, it must be hard for her to accept that she needs to get into the gym now that others have surpassed her on natural talent.

She's not too old to still compete, hey look at Martina! But then take a double-look at Martina (she's a FITNESS monster! Those arms! Those calves!)

selesrules
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:38 AM
no, since 2000 her results have been similar in all slams.

Australian: QF, SF, 2R
French: QF, QF
Wimbledon: QF, QF
US Open: QF, 4R, QF

It's really irrelevant at this point. As for why she hasn't won it, before the stabbing she only played it once when she was no.1 which is in 1992 and she reached the final despite the grunting controversy. She missed it in 1991 and 1993. And as for 1990 she lost to Zina in 3 tough sets and Zina also beat Graf in the next round, she even did better that year at Wimbledon then at the US Open. Surface doesn't matter, what matter is to get her game together in that QF round and win a big match, it could happen anywhere.

Tennis Fool
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:39 AM
No, her best surface to win was I hate to say Ace Rebound and then maybe clay.

Monica has only begun to love grass. Remember she skipped Wimby in 1991 for no good reason.

I have a question for the thread: If Monica's grunting wasn't censored in 1992 do you believe she would have won Wimbledon?

kku
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Tennis Fool
I've said it once and I'll say it again.
What's really holding Monica back: FITNESS FITNESS FITNESS! This was an 800 pound gorilla asleep while she was winning slams that awoke when she went on her sabbatical. Since Monica has never been a fitness buff, it must be hard for her to accept that she needs to get into the gym now that others have surpassed her on natural talent.

She's not too old to still compete, hey look at Martina! But then take a double-look at Martina (she's a FITNESS monster! Those arms! Those calves!)

Even though I think your comments are cruel, I agree that Monica needs to be more fit to have a chance at winning another GS.

But still, Monica wasn't an 800 pound gorrila. Use a better metaphor next time:(

selesrules
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:40 AM
In 1991 she had injured her foot and that's why she skipped Wimbledon. She's said it a million times.

As for 1992, who knows. All I know is that Monica was not concentrated on the match but she was more worried about her grunting. She didn't even get to play her game.

kku
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by selesrules
no, since 2000 her results have been similar in all slams.

Australian: QF, SF, 2R
French: QF, QF
Wimbledon: QF, QF
US Open: QF, 4R, QF

It's really irrelevant at this point. As for why she hasn't won it, before the stabbing she only played it once when she was no.1 which is in 1992 and she reached the final despite the grunting controversy. She missed it in 1991 and 1993. And as for 1990 she lost to Zina in 3 tough sets and Zina also beat Graf in the next round, she even did better that year at Wimbledon then at the US Open. Surface doesn't matter, what matter is to get her game together in that QF round and win a big match, it could happen anywhere.

2000 was clearly Monica's best comeback year. Not only did she finish up at #4, but it was the only year since her comeback that she did not fail to at least reach the QF of every tournament she played that year.

Surface does matter IMO...why else would Monica be at her weakest on grass?

Tennis Fool
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by kku
Even though I think your comments are cruel, I agree that Monica needs to be more fit to have a chance at winning another GS.

But still, Monica wasn't an 800 pound gorrila. Use a better metaphor next time:(

800 pound gorilla is a term like "monkey on her shoulder" meaning it's something that's been troubling her.

You've never heard that term? I'm not sure where you're from--it's a very American expression.

kku
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Tennis Fool
No, her best surface to win was I hate to say Ace Rebound and then maybe clay.

Monica has only begun to love grass. Remember she skipped Wimby in 1991 for no good reason.

I have a question for the thread: If Monica's grunting wasn't censored in 1992 do you believe she would have won Wimbledon?

I don't know. Graf crushed Monica 6-2, 6-1...so it was a clear route.

But at least Monica would have performed much, much better that time if she would've ignored the British press (notorious for being the best in the fabrication and defamation business) and kept on playing comfortably (by grunting).

kku
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by Tennis Fool
800 pound gorilla is a term like "monkey on her shoulder" meaning it's something that's been troubling her.

You've never heard that term? I'm not sure where you're from--it's a very American expression.

Whoops! Sorry about that. I'm from Melbourne, Australia.

selesrules
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Well it didn't matter in the last 3 years since her results have been very similar, maybe it's her weakest but not by much, she can play on grass otherwise she wouldn't have reached 1 wimbledon final, 4 quarters, won eastbourne, beaten Navratilova on grass (who beat Graf/Seles a year later and reached the Wimbledon final 2 years later), etc. etc. At this point, it's irrelevant, it's only a matter of winning that key quarterfinal match and then playing some solid tennis, and it could happen anywhere.

Tennis Fool
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by selesrules
In 1991 she had injured her foot and that's why she skipped Wimbledon. She's said it a million times.



I never believed that. Of course, I don't think everything Monica says is made of gold, either. She's a tennis player, for heaven's sake! Being #1, she's entitled to fib to do what's she likes, right?

Anyway, she had reason to skip. I would be disgusted with my results at Wimby up to that date also.

1989 4th Round 6/1 6/0 :eek: to Steffi Graf
1990, Quarters. 3-6, 6-3, 9-7 to Zina Garrison (Monica's only loss to her, not counting a forfeited match in 1989).

Volcana
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:58 AM
kku - From all her own words, Monica doesn't dwell on the past. She doesn't sit around feeling she was robbed, or pretending she knew how the past would have played out. SHe focuses on the now. She plays because she loves it. At least, that's what SHE says, and I'm inclined to believe her. Monica has seemed, since her return, very aware of just how wonderful the life she leads is. And very appreciative.

selesrules
Feb 24th, 2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Tennis Fool

Anyway, she had reason to skip. I would be disgusted with my results at Wimby up to that date also.

1989 4th Round 6/1 6/0 :eek: to Steffi Graf
1990, Quarters. 3-6, 6-3, 9-7 to Zina Garrison

That really doesn't make sense. She even had a worst record at that point at the US Open (1989 4th round crushed by Chris Evert and 1990 3rd by Linda Ferrendo who's much worst then Zina. So why didn't she skip the US Open too? :rolleyes: Actually she had more reason to skip the US Open since she had a worst record.

Tennis Fool
Feb 24th, 2003, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by Volcana
kku - From all her own words, Monica doesn't dwell on the past. She doesn't sit around feeling she was robbed, or pretending she knew how the past would have played out. SHe focuses on the now. She plays because she loves it. At least, that's what SHE says, and I'm inclined to believe her. Monica has seemed, since her return, very aware of just how wonderful the life she leads is. And very appreciative.

I agree with all of this, but would add that Monica has stated time and again that she also plays because she thinks she's a contender for more Slams. She won't say it publicly, but Mary Jo and other close friends will hint if you throw out the right price she'll will consider playing your tournament, exhibition, etc.

I say this, because I just want to express that Monica is human, not a saint--and a damned great tennis player.

Tennis Fool
Feb 24th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by selesrules
That really doesn't make sense. She even had a worst record at that point at the US Open (1989 4th round crushed by Chris Evert and 1990 3rd by Linda Ferrendo who's much worst then Zina. So why didn't she skip the US Open too? :rolleyes: Actually she had more reason to skip the US Open since she had a worst record.

Monica has stated publicly that she realistically will never win this tournament. It's her albatross as it was to Ivan Lendl, as the French was to Hingis and Pete.

selesrules
Feb 24th, 2003, 04:25 AM
She never said that she will never win Wimbledon. :rolleyes: On a few occasions she has said that it's probably the tournament that maybe suits her game the least but Monica always saids that she enters any tournament to win it. Either way, conchita martinez won Wimbledon and it's probably her weakest surface, it's really irrelevant.

ktwtennis
Feb 24th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Monica can do it if she has four things happen:
1)First, she needs a good draw. Facing two Williams in a row to get just to a final is too much to ask.
2)She needs confidence. Closing out matches against top players seems to be the toughest thing for her to do lately...
3)She needs for her serve to hold up. Being down 0-40 in her last three service games of the final in Dubai is not any way to win a match...She served REALLY well against Mauresmo--that serve needs to be there consistently.
4)She needs to move well and have endurance. This is obvious...

tyk101
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:46 PM
give her a few more months and she'll win FO!

tyk101
Feb 24th, 2003, 03:48 PM
i think she needs to focus a bit more in the big points and work on her inconsistent serve.