PDA

View Full Version : Kim Clijsters : a poor tactician ?


Sharapower
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:22 AM
In that Antwerp final, I found Clijsters didn't play smartly. She just tried to hit as hard as she could but never managed to put Venus in difficulty because Venus could anticipate a lot.
At the opposite, Venus knew how to demolish Clijsters by working on Kim's forehand which exploded completely.
Looking at Kim I had just the impression of another Dokic, Kim has just got more focus and mental toughness, but like Jelena she seems not to have a real game strategy.

The Belgian public really upseted me at the end of the match.

tennisfan1972
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:27 AM
What happened at the end of the match?

Sharapower
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:31 AM
As Venus served for the match, they were shouting while Venus was serving in order to make her lose focus and celebrating when Venus's first serve wasn't in.
Fortunately, it pumped Venus out and she won the match breaking Kim on the next game.

BasicTennis
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:44 AM
I agree the crowd is pure bulshit.:o

but Kim played really well last night. Her movement has improved greatly the reason she managed to beat Venus is some of the long and exciting rallies. Kim just needs to be consistent on her service game if she wants to beat the sisters.;)

Kim is far better than Dokic so she doesn't deserve the comparison.;)

Sharapower
Feb 17th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
I agree the crowd is pure bulshit.:o

but Kim played really well last night. Her movement has improved greatly the reason she managed to beat Venus is some of the long and exciting rallies. Kim just needs to be consistent on her service game if she wants to beat the sisters.;)

Kim is far better than Dokic so she doesn't deserve the comparison.;) Yes BasicTennis, I know comparing Kim to Dokic is a provocative exageration, and I agree too that she has a very good technique for her groundstrokes (except that damn crosscourt forehand).
But I find she didn't play a very smart tennis against Venus. From 2-2 first set till the end of the final, Venus just managed to make Kim play forehands, giving her short balls and attacking them. Kim never new how to get out from that trap and at the end, even her backhand went out.

Volcana
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:39 AM
Kim knows how to go to the net on short balls.

Jelena's completely allergic to net.

Kim has vastly better court coverage too.

Gowza
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:43 AM
hingis use to complain that with the williams she didn't have enough time to think because they hit so hard. maybe kim is having the same problem. watching her on tv against serena at the oz open i thought that she was pretty good and she could also match serena from the back of the court. maybe i was wrong.

Jakeev
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:51 AM
Let me get this straight.....the crowd In Antwerp is crap because they were partisan for their national player?

Gosh forbid any country should cheer wildly, be passionate and want their heros to win........

IF it were soccer nobody would be whining.

BasicTennis
Feb 17th, 2003, 07:57 AM
unfortunately TENNIS isn't soccer.:p

This Belgian crowd should be taught how to watch a tennis match. They should be ashamed of themselves. Anyway, justice has been done.:angel:

Sharapower
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Jakeev
Let me get this straight.....the crowd In Antwerp is crap because they were partisan for their national player?

Gosh forbid any country should cheer wildly, be passionate and want their heros to win........

IF it were soccer nobody would be whining. IT ISN'T soccer, Jakeev, otherwise this place would be named FIFAWorld.
Everybody can and must cheer for his favorite but I don't find it correct to try to bother the opponent while serving or during rallies in order to have your fave winning. Remaining quiet and silent during points is an unwritten but basic rule of behavior of tennis.

Filip!
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
unfortunately TENNIS isn't soccer.:p

This Belgian crowd should be taught how to watch a tennis match. They should be ashamed of themselves. Anyway, justice has been done.:angel:

I think you are the jerk who has to be ashamed by saying this!

I'm getting sick of people who are always attacking the Belgian girls (Justine and Kim) and the Belgian fans.

If Kim is so bad (if I listen to some people in this topic), why is she #3 in the world???

This year, she only lost 2 matches. She reached the finals in every tournament (not Australian Open) from the last 6 or 7 tournaments she played!

I never say things like this about the Williams-sisters, I'm honest, they are the best at this moment. But isn't it normal that the Belgian crowd wants Kim to win if she plays in Belgium?

If you have nothing better to say, you can better shut up!

persond
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Jakeev
Let me get this straight.....the crowd In Antwerp is crap because they were partisan for their national player?

Gosh forbid any country should cheer wildly, be passionate and want their heros to win........

IF it were soccer nobody would be whining.





:) :) Jakeev,

The issue isn't that the Belgians were cheering wildly for their GBH (Great Belgian Hope), but that they were rude in "cheering at the wrong time", thereby attempting to "undermind" the game of Kim's opponent!!! In other words, they were attempting to influence the outcome of the game by "cheating", and that is poor conduct as well as poor sportsmanship!!! Plain and simple!!!

Fortunately, the Williams have been prepared for such tactics and are pretty much immune to that type of unsportsmanlike behavior!!!

*persond looks around furtively for his arch foe, the one and only Becca!!!* *NOT seeing her lurking around, persond sneaks back into the crowd of posters waiting with abated breath to post their shit!!!*

persond
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:19 AM
Posters are taking "ISSUE", and rightly so, with the Belgian Public, and not with the Belgian Players. I'm pretty sure Kim and Justine, both are upset with their fellow countrymen for such poor unsportsmanlike behavior!!! On a side note, now, you know what the Williams' fans go through with the Haters on this board.!!! Welcome to the real world, my friend.!!!!:) :) :) :)

BasicTennis
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Kim-Juju!
I think you are the jerk who has to be ashamed by saying this!

I'm getting sick of people who are always attacking the Belgian girls (Justine and Kim) and the Belgian fans.

If Kim is so bad (if I listen to some people in this topic), why is she #3 in the world???

This year, she only lost 2 matches. She reached the finals in every tournament (not Australian Open) from the last 6 or 7 tournaments she played!

I never say things like this about the Williams-sisters, I'm honest, they are the best at this moment. But isn't it normal that the Belgian crowd wants Kim to win if she plays in Belgium?

If you have nothing better to say, you can better shut up!

you shut your stupid filthy belgian mouth. Did I say anything bad about Kim?

The crowd was an ultimate bullshit and if you can't see that because you belong to this type of people.:devil:

Chance
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:26 AM
was it sections of the crowd, like at the Ausopen semifinal or was it the whole crowd?

BasicTennis
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:27 AM
majority of the crowd....they kept booing Venus whenever she misses her service TOSS. How cheap can they get.:rolleyes:

Filip!
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
you shut your stupid filthy belgian mouth. Did I say anything bad about Kim?

The crowd was an ultimate bullshit and if you can't see that because you belong to this type of people.:devil:

I did not say that you said anything bad about Kim, but a lot of other Williams-fans are doing this, every day again and again and again!!!

BTW: I was in the crowd! So I know you are really overreacting! The crowd was indeed behind Kim (and that's totally normal), but it was no bullshit!!! When Venus won the match, everybody was showing their respect for Venus! And during the points, nobody was screaming to take Venus out of her concentration! The umpire never had to say something against the crowd, just sometimes "Thank you", but that was the same when Kim was serving!!!

persond
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
majority of the crowd....they kept booing Venus whenever she misses her service TOSS. How cheap can they get.:rolleyes:

:D I didn't witness the crowd's action, but, from what's been described here in the forum, they were "as common as cat shit"!!!
But hey, we're getting pretty use to this type of crowd reaction to the Sisters...!!!:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Sharapower
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Kim-Juju!
If Kim is so bad (if I listen to some people in this topic), why is she #3 in the world??? Kim is a great player , Kim-Juju, I just mean I was upset she didn't put a very good resistance in that final because she didn't play the right game, the right tactic. Before the match I would have bet for a Kim's win or at least a three setter.
"Poor tactician" is to be taken at the level of the top 5, top 10. Obviously she's a great tactician if you compare to girls who are not among the very top players. Venus didn't have to use that much power to win, she just played on Kim's weaknesses. And she appeared to be very serious.

Chance
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by quasimodo
Venus didn't have to use that much power to win, she just played on Kim's weaknesses. And she appeared to be very serious.

Damn, I was thinking Venus was all about power :rolleyes: ;)

Looks like there are conflicting reports about the crowds.... when I get to see the match,I'll give you my invaluable opinion;)

It looks like out the the 11 matches Vee has played this year- this may be the best one:cool:

Sharapower
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by sunset
Damn, there I was thinking Venus is all about power:rolleyes: ;) She's very powerful, indeed, but a load of defeats agains Martina Hingis taught her it wasn't enough to last in the top.
I'm not saying Venus played that final "softly" but she didn't have to "force" a lot, except at the end when she became pretty much agressive but I guess it's because the public lead her to anger...

Lynx
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:53 AM
I'm a Belgian. I watched the match on tv. I wasn't really happy with the behavior of SOME ppl in the crowd, ok?

Saying "the crowd is pure bulshit" is, errm, a gross exaggeration, maybe? I know some of the ppl who were there, and they weren't happy with SOME others in the crowd either.

Having said this:
There were more ppl watching this match than there ever were for a Wimbledon final !! And much, much more than for any indoor tournament, ever! Do you know what that means, for a country that has only 1/6 of the population of the UK? It means tennis is sooo immensely popular right now in Belgium - because we have two great players, of course - that ppl who don't know shit about tennis are saying: "Hey, why not go to Antwerp for that tennis-final, there's an idea!"
Is this bad? Not for tennis, I'd say.

It's true: some of the ppl in the crowd yesterday didn't know how to behave... but saying "they were shouting while Venus was serving in order to make her lose focus" is NOT true. They were shouting when Venus - more than once, btw - threw up the ball and then didn't serve. They probably thought she was trying to make Kim lose her focus. Several times they were also clapping slowly when Kim had to serve... I found that REALLY annoying, not encouraging at all (as it was probably meant to be).

It's true some were cheering when Venus didn't get her first serve in, very poor sportsmanship, that - but then again: it has pissed off every Belgian here, and every true tennisfan. I wouldn't know how to screen such a crowd beforehand for true tennisfanship, though.


You cannot say the crowd didn't cheer for Venus after the match, or when she got her trophy.

Of course: most Belgians wanted Kim to win, but seeing Kim being beaten by such a Venus - I seldom saw Vee play better! - made us admire that American girl. I thought that was clear too. :)

Filip!
Feb 17th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Lynx
I'm a Belgian. I watched the match on tv. I wasn't really happy with the behavior of SOME ppl in the crowd, ok?

Saying "the crowd is pure bulshit" is, errm, a gross exaggeration, maybe? I know some of the ppl who were there, and they weren't happy with SOME others in the crowd either.

Having said this:
There were more ppl watching this match than there ever were for a Wimbledon final !! And much, much more than for any indoor tournament, ever! Do you know what that means, for a country that has only 1/6 of the population of the UK? It means tennis is sooo immensely popular right now in Belgium - because we have two great players, of course - that ppl who don't know shit about tennis are saying: "Hey, why not go to Antwerp for that tennis-final, there's an idea!"
Is this bad? Not for tennis, I'd say.

It's true: some of the ppl in the crowd yesterday didn't know how to behave... but saying "they were shouting while Venus was serving in order to make her lose focus" is NOT true. They were shouting when Venus - more than once, btw - threw up the ball and then didn't serve. They probably thought she was trying to make Kim lose her focus. Several times they were also clapping slowly when Kim had to serve... I found that REALLY annoying, not encouraging at all (as it was probably meant to be).

It's true some were cheering when Venus didn't get her first serve in, very poor sportsmanship, that - but then again: it has pissed off every Belgian here, and every true tennisfan. I wouldn't know how to screen such a crowd beforehand for true tennisfanship, though.


You cannot say the crowd didn't cheer for Venus after the match, or when she got her trophy.

Of course: most Belgians wanted Kim to win, but seeing Kim being beaten by such a Venus - I seldom saw Vee play better! - made us admire that American girl. I thought that was clear too. :)

Well said!!!

I really think Venus reached almost her highest level yesterday! Even better than her sister...

Lynx
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Well, Venus herself seemed to think she was unbeatable in Antwerp. :D
I thought it very funny, when Carl asked her: "And you probably won't allow Serena to come here, next year?" - and she replied: "Serena, if you're listening girl, come on," or something like that. (Oracene was laughing too. :) )

I don't know if she was better than Serena, that's very difficult to say, but she played AWWWESOME. :eek:

Did you see what Kim brought back, yesterday? That time she fell, dropped her racket, and still made it to the other side to make the point???

Kim played great imo - but Venus was simply not of this earth, yesterday. So, even if I'm not happy, I am content. I saw some great tennis. :) :) :)

persond
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:23 AM
:D It seems as if both players performed at a high level and when that happens, fans of tennis are the true beneficiaries!!! It is rather sad and unfortunate when a few make it so difficult for the majority!!! I, too, like Kim and JuJu as well, and do wish them the best in their future endeavors. EXCEPT, against the Sisters!!!! LOL:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

smally
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:27 AM
I normally put the tv on mute sometimes when watching the sisters play cos of the annoying crowd. But yesterday, i didn't just to see and hear things for myself cos i knew exactly what would happen and i was right.

Really, i don't know how Venus and Serena can put up with this. They must have really been given sound training by their parents. The likes of me would have been so irrirated that it might drive me to really scream at them to shut the fuck up.

They just kept trying to break her concentration, booing at what they deemed questionable calls, at Vees errors etc. That was really uncalled for. Cheer for ur favourite. You can shout go Kim, go Justine for all u want, but don't try to disrupt another persons game just to satisfy ur fanatical desires.

Then really late at night, i watched the match btw Agassi and Sanguinetti. And this was supposed to be in the states. Agassi been American, i watched to see if i'll get same idiotic reaction. Low and behold it wasn't so. The crowd was very mature, clapped at the right time, they even awwed and oohed at Sanguinettis errors. There were even moments of laughter.

Then it dawned on me that we see this rude behaviour mostly on the WTA side and especially when Vee and Serena are playing. Why is it so? Not that the crowd don't react badly on the ATP side but they do that mostly in Davis cup and the only other time i noticed was when Hewitt was playing james at the last USO. We know what that was all about.

Really, i wish this will all come to an end one day. And people will learn to accept them as the gracious and talented ladies that they are. And also treat them exactly how they would like to be treated by others. With RESPECT.

tennnisfannn
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:35 AM
Personally, i do not get upset when a crowd is trying to distract their favourite's opponents. One needs concentration to serve but the returner also needs concentration, don't they. otherwise no returner would put up their hand if they weren't ready. Quite frankly both players get affected and crowds need to be quiet to help their favourite. If Venus still won against Mauresmo at the USO when the crowd was so mean to her and that must have hurt like crazy, i doubt any crowd anywhere in the world is going to put a dent in that concentration.
In fairness, in every crowd there is bound to be a few out to cause trouble and they are usually the loudest.

BasicTennis
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Kim-Juju!
I did not say that you said anything bad about Kim, but a lot of other Williams-fans are doing this, every day again and again and again!!!

BTW: I was in the crowd! So I know you are really overreacting! The crowd was indeed behind Kim (and that's totally normal), but it was no bullshit!!! When Venus won the match, everybody was showing their respect for Venus! And during the points, nobody was screaming to take Venus out of her concentration! The umpire never had to say something against the crowd, just sometimes "Thank you", but that was the same when Kim was serving!!!

Even the Eurosport commentators (Jo & David) were ashamed of the crowd's behaviour during the match. They must be overreacting as well.:rolleyes:

Lynx
Feb 17th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by persond
... I, too, like Kim and JuJu as well, and do wish them the best in their future endeavors. EXCEPT, against the Sisters!!!! LOL:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: Same here, only the other way around. I'm a Venus fan - but not when she's playing my faves. :( :p

If only V & S were ten years older, or younger. :sad: I'm pretty sure it's never gonna happen again that Belgium has two top ten players..., and then there are those sisters - TWO of them, as you please! Were it not for them, the number 1 and 2 of the world today would be Belgian :eek: - that is so unreal...
OTOH, were it not for the Belgian girls, Venus would be my absolute number 1. :)

In fairness, in every crowd there is bound to be a few out to cause trouble and they are usually the loudest.Thanks, tennnisfannn - so true.
Although the crowd in Wimbledon seems always very fair - I think it's the most "educated", having hosted a Grand Slam for ages...

Dawn Marie
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:36 AM
I've always said that when Venus is ON! she is the BEST and that is including Serena!

V@S parents prepared their daughters extremely well for reactions like this. They know they can't change anything so the key is to focus on one's own self. Personally I think alot of the crowd was cheerin on Kim, and some were biased because Venus is a Afro-Centric women. Before you say their is no racism in tennis, remember those two Belgian commentators. I have so much respect for V@S because they are WOMEN and that is a double whammy. Boy, the family instilled such strong values in that family!

Fearless Venus RULEZ!:)

Lynx
Feb 17th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Quote from Ai's diary (entry Feb 17 2003), as translated by gogomaggie: - (see this thread (http://www.wtaworld.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56515))

Owing to the fact that it was Kim's home country, the atmosphere of the venue was fantastic.
Thanks to Kim's and Justine's sucess, tennis is huge in Belgium right now.
In the Saturday, during the day the crowd attendance was 12000 and the night session attracted 12000 people. And today, 14400 people showed up for the finals.
I felt very happy to be playing where so many people cheered on us.
I could play well in both singles and doubles here in Belgium and so I got a lot of positives.

The event itself was also well organized and took good care of the players. I think as a result all the players had a very comfortable week.
I was impressed that not just the people working for the tounament but everyone like hotel workers and restaurant clerks was sooo nice.
I felt like everyone here was relaxing and could afford to care about others. I think that's a great thing.
We tend to get pissed by a small thing when stressed out, so I learned how important it is to live more or less relaxed in an atmosphere like here.



Thanks Ai & gogomaggie. :worship: :)
This of course says nothing about the crowd - but it's sketching a more realistic picture of Belgium, for those who have never been here.

BTW: Venus applauded the crowd after her win. I also have not heard any complaint from Oracene. :)

BasicTennis
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:04 AM
This doesn't change the fact that the crowd acted badly. If you can't see that then that's your problem.;)

The Belgian crowd can only learn from Oracene, who is always the best spectator in every match she goes. She even claps when her daughter's opponents hit some winners. She is a true tennis fan because she is acting with class and dignity.:worship:

Dawn Marie
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:08 AM
How did this thread turn into this? No I dont think Kim is a bad tactician just a bad choice in boyfriends.

Kim will be fine, she is still young. It wasn't that long ago when V@S had their foe, or players on tour who stopped them from slams. Kim just needs a little bit of seasoning.

persond
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Dawn Marie
How did this thread turn into this? No I dont think Kim is a bad tactician just a bad choice in boyfriends.

Kim will be fine, she is still young. It wasn't that long ago when V@S had their foe, or players on tour who stopped them from slams. Kim just needs a little bit of seasoning.


:D How about a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a clove of garlic????:kiss: :kiss: :hearts: :hearts:

Dawn Marie
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:19 AM
LOL!:)

Lynx
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:20 AM
Lol @persond.

Easy on the garlic, though... :)

Mercury Rising
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
This doesn't change the fact that the crowd acted badly. If you can't see that then that's your problem.;)

The Belgian crowd can only learn from Oracene, who is always the best spectator in every match she goes. She even claps when her daughter's opponents hit some winners. She is a true tennis fan because she is acting with class and dignity.:worship:
Hey man , you have made your fucking point. Thanx :worship: :wavey:

per4ever
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
This doesn't change the fact that the crowd acted badly. If you can't see that then that's your problem.;)


There were only a few of them cheering at the wrong time, and that's sad. But remember that in finals lots of rich and 'high-standard' families come to watch, and often they don't know much about tennis. Anyway...I don't think Venus would complain about the crowd.

BasicTennis
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:42 AM
Venus has humbled the stupid crowd, so she doesn't need to complain.;) She has class not to go down to their level (are they not rich enough to study some good manners).

Raisin
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
(are they not rich enough to study some good manners). :worship:

Josh
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:47 AM
The crowd started booing after Venus repeatedly caught her toss back. She did it like 15 times and I had never seen her do this before so that was a bit strange. The first three times the crowd kept quiet but after it became a "habit" they started to get noisey. Obviously they shouldn't have done that but like I said it was a bit odd for Venus to do that and the crowd probably thought she was trying to break Kim's concentration. Of course that was not the case but when a crowd favourite is playing they will always find something to boo about. ;)

Anyway, I think the crowd was very supportive of Venus throughout the tournament. Every time she walked on court and after every victory she got a big applause and she also said in one of her interviews that the crowd was great.

About Kim's strategy : I think she played well though there were times where she should have gone to the net cause Venus kept hitting every ball back so Kim had to start over and over again from the court.

Lynx
Feb 17th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Hear hear!
I couldn't agree more. :)

BasicTennis
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Josh
Of course that was not the case but when a crowd favourite is playing they will always find something to boo about. ;)


Great people indeed. They want their favourite to win not because of her own merit but because of their bad manners.;)

Maybe if Kim was leading, 6-2, 5-2, and Venus was having a bad “toss” day, then we could have not heard this boos.

Kim is a nice and talented player and she doesn’t need this stupid crowd to win a tournament.:p

irma
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:13 PM
why do you people care so much?

venus won right?

Josh
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:14 PM
Venus is a nice and talented player who doesn't need your stupid opinion to defend her. :p

Lynx
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:18 PM
Yep, Basic, you're right, calm down already... theeere you go. :)

Feeling better now? All right! Now leave those unmannered stupid racist rich Belgian pigs alone for a while, and go kill some stupid evil conniving untrustworthy Iraqi's instead - that's a brave boy. :p

And YAY - I saw some great tennis yesterday!!! :D

BasicTennis
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Josh
Venus is a nice and talented player who doesn't need your stupid opinion to defend her. :p

You don't have to defend your stupidity to me.;):p:D

Legends
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:21 PM
The crowd started booing after Venus repeatedly caught her toss back. She did it like 15 times and I had never seen her do this before so that was a bit strange. The first three times the crowd kept quiet but after it became a "habit" they started to get noisey. Obviously they shouldn't have done that but like I said it was a bit odd for Venus to do that and the crowd probably thought she was trying to break Kim's concentration.

how many double faults did Venus have in this match?
One



how many was she averaging last year and up to AO?
i say too DAMM many.





Go Venus
toss that ball up and catch as many times as you need to make a good serve:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

bis2806
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:24 PM
coz kim is too fat!

per4ever
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by bis2806
coz kim is too fat!
idiot :rolleyes:

Sharapower
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Legends
how many double faults did Venus have in this match?
One



how many was she averaging last year and up to AO?
i say too DAMM many.





Go Venus
toss that ball up and catch as many times as you need to make a good serve:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :worship:

Lynx
Feb 17th, 2003, 12:35 PM
Legends - you do have a point.

--- BUT how would you like it if every player began doing that? Re-tossing the ball time and again... I don't think anyone would appreciate that, not the players, not the public. And don't forget: this was indoors. It's not as if there was too much wind or something.


Nevertheless, as I keep repeating here: Venus played some awesome tennis. And since she's on my fave list I say:

GO VENUS! :)
But since Kim is my number 1, I also say:
NEXT TIME YOU'LL TAKE HER, KIMMIE! :) :) :)

Freewoman33
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Legends
how many double faults did Venus have in this match?
One



how many was she averaging last year and up to AO?
i say too DAMM many.





Go Venus
toss that ball up and catch as many times as you need to make a good serve:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:


Venus, keep tossing away until you get it right, baby. Forget abou the damn crowd in the States or abroad. They'll cheer against you anyway. Just do your thing.

Come-on-kim
Feb 17th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by BasicTennis
I agree the crowd is pure bulshit.:o

Thanks!! I was in the crowd!!

Infiniti2001
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Really, i don't know how Venus and Serena can put up with this. They must have really been given sound training by their parents. The likes of me would have been so irrirated that it might drive me to really scream at them to shut the fuck up.


You gotta give Richard a hand here... He may be a few eggs short of a dozen, but he knew exactly what these girls would face in their respective careers.. It's well known that he paid neighbourhood kids to heckle them while practicing, hence the reason they tune out crowds during their matches... Serena can get a little rattled sometimes , but Venus has ice running through her veins :)

Rae Q.
Feb 17th, 2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Infiniti2001
You gotta give Richard a hand here... He may be a few eggs short of a dozen, but he knew exactly what these girls would face in their respective careers.. It's well known that he paid neighbourhood kids to heckle them while practicing, hence the reason they tune out crowds during their matches... Serena can get a little rattled sometimes , but Venus has ice running through her veins :)

you're totally joking right? :o

starr
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:20 PM
What Richard said he did and what Richard actually did, are not necessarily the same thing. The man makes things up like nobody's business. I don't know if he did or not, but I wouldn't believe he did it just because he said he did it. Besides, Venus and Serena moved into a very expensive neighborhood in Florida when Venus was about 10 years old and from that time on neither girl was practicing in front of neighborhood kids.

Besides, most players sort of tune crowds out. When you are really concentrating the crowd noises sort of fade into a background blur.

I've sat in crowds where my favorite has been booed, and it has always been very disheartening and sad for me and I would never to that to another player. Sometimes I do get on the officials though.

servenrichie
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:26 PM
People who doubted Richard still have eggs on their faces, I would have thought you leaned your lesson not to doubt Richard Williams starr...

starr
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:30 PM
Doubt? In what way? Do you believe everything he says? If so, more the fool you.

I doubt that Oracene believes everything that comes out of Richard's mouth.

I mean, Richard Nixon was preeminently successful, but I didn't believe a word he said. Just because Richard Williams has had success making tennis stars out of his daughters doesn't mean that he isn't a supreme bullshitter.

Infiniti2001
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:31 PM
you're totally joking right?

Not at all.. One reporter said this in one of the programs on the family. I'm assuming he was present...

servenrichie
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:35 PM
No you are the fool by implying people are lying!

starr
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:38 PM
lol... That is so funny!!

People lie all the time. I'm in the business of uncovering lies and deciet. I call people liars all the time. lol lol lol.

But like I say. Richard might be telling the truth. I don't think he lies ALL the time. It's just that I don't believe what he says unless it's verified.

Rae Q.
Feb 17th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Infiniti2001
Note at all.. One reporter said this in one of the programs on the family. I'm assuming he was present...

That's so crazy but hey it totally worked so yeah Richard knows what he's doing. :)