View Full Version : Oasis Cancel Gigs Following Liam Attack

Dec 2nd, 2002, 06:00 PM

Oasis Cancel Gigs Following Liam Attack

Oasis have cancelled a second show in Germany as frontman Liam Gallagher recovers following an brawl over the weekend, amid allegations that the attack was not unprovoked.

Liam, along with drummer Alan White and two of Oasis’ security men, were attacked by a gang of youths in a Munich nightclub on Saturday, November 30, it is stated on Oasis’ website.

The Oasis camp claim it was an “unprovoked attack” and one that resulted in Liam’s two front teeth being broken and one of his security guards being knocked unconscious. "Several members of Oasis and their entourage were the victims of an unprovoked attack by a group of youths in a Munich club last night, where they were during their European tour,” a statement from the band reads. “Liam Gallagher sustained facial injuries, including several broken teeth, while two of the group's security guards were forced to seek hospital treatment, one after being knocked unconscious. The attackers left the scene before police arrived.”

"The police took several of the Oasis group, including Liam, to the local station for questioning in relation to the incident. Police enquiries continue... all those arrested including Liam have been released.”

After cancelling one gig on Sunday, the band have since pulled out of tonight’s scheduled gig in Hamburg. “Tonight's show in Hamburg at the Colorline Arena has been postponed while Liam has further dental work to repair his two front teeth. The two postponed shows should be rescheduled shortly."

Contrary to Oasis’s claims that the attacks were unprovoked, Munich police allege that Liam kicked an officer in the chest during the fracas, for which Gallagher could face assault charges.

Munich police have apparently rejected Oasis claims that the attack was unprovoked, and are reportedly investigating the Oasis members and accompanying entourage on suspicion of assault, resisting arrest and damage to property.

Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:46 PM

Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:28 AM
they are thugs!!!

Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:44 AM
They rock man! :bounce:

Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:59 AM
Why do I not believe that the attack was "unprovoked"?

Dec 4th, 2002, 02:10 AM
Munich prosecutors were investigating December 3, 2002 whether to file charges against British rock star Liam Gallagher for a weekend brawl. The lead singer for Oasis could face charges for causing grievous bodily harm, disturbing the peace, destroying property and resisting arrest after a Dec. 1 punch-up at a Munich hotel. Gallagher is seen here performing in Berne July 19. Photo by Peter Mosimann/Reuters

Oasis Singer Returns to UK After Munich Brawl
Tue December 3, 2002 07:43 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - British rock star Liam Gallagher returned home on Tuesday after a brawl in a Munich hotel -- and he did not appear to have any obvious marks on him.
The volatile lead singer of Oasis was reported to have broken two teeth in the punch-up.

The 30-year old singer could face charges for causing grievous bodily harm, disturbing the peace, destroying property and resisting arrest after the Sunday morning brawl at a Munich hotel.

But Munich state prosecutor Anton Winkler told Reuters it was possible that Gallagher would only receive a summary fine that would close the case if it were accepted.

Police said Gallagher assaulted an officer trying to break up a fight pitting the singer and two other Oasis band members against other patrons at the five-star Bayerische Hof hotel.

Liam swaggered off his flight from Munich at London's Heathrow Airport showing no obvious signs that he had been in a serious scrap.

There were no cuts to his face, no bruises and no swelling around his mouth. He made no attempt to hide his face as he walked from his British Airways jet with his head held high.

However he refused to say one single word about the incident and all questions put to him were met with silence.

He kept silent when asked how many teeth he had lost or what exactly had happened. He refused to say where the incident left the band's tour plans and would say nothing about the future of Oasis.

The only time he did utter a word was when one of the pack of photographers surrounding him walked into a pillar injuring his nose and mouth.

Liam quipped: "I'd take a picture of that if I were you mate." His voice was clear and without a trace of any lisp.

Liam walked from the plane flanked by two minders and two airline security men. He was escorted through the baggage hall and then led to a side door where his limousine was waiting.

Oasis said on its Web site that two remaining concerts on the German tour were canceled because of the damage to Gallagher's teeth.

"The damage to Liam's teeth is worse than it first appeared and he will have to return to the United Kingdom for surgery before he will be able to perform again," the Web site said.

Brothers Liam and Noel Gallagher formed Oasis in 1991. The band released its first album "Definitely Maybe," three years later and it was billed as the fastest-selling British debut.