PDA

View Full Version : Greatest guitarists of all time!


nasty nick#2
Nov 17th, 2002, 12:18 PM
Ok here's my personal top 20 list :-D

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. Eddie Van Halen
4. Slash
5. Eric Clapton
6. Carlos Santana
7. Mark Knopfler
8. Stevie Ray Vaughan
9. Steve Vai
10. Gary Moore
11. Jeff Beck
12. Brian May
13. Joe Satriani
14. Randy Rhoads
15. Ritchie Blackmore
16. Tony Iommi
17. Dave Gilmour
18. Duane Allaman
19. Kim Thayil
20. Yngwie Malmsteen

Hope i didn't forget anyone. Oppinions?

BritneySpearsIsHot
Nov 17th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Where is Hank Marvin? http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/blackeye/GCtonguepink.gif

nasty nick#2
Nov 17th, 2002, 12:23 PM
I'm talkin about rock guitarists.

BritneySpearsIsHot
Nov 17th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Slash should be number 1 IMO

shirley
Nov 17th, 2002, 12:24 PM
The Edge?

nasty nick#2
Nov 17th, 2002, 12:26 PM
As soon as someone makes a list about anything, there's just complains about who i missed and no comments about the selection itself, come on guys (Sarcastic)

shirley
Nov 17th, 2002, 12:30 PM
1) Slash
2) The Edge
3) Ritchie Sambora
4) Jimi Hendrix
5) Eric Clapton

nasty nick#2
Nov 17th, 2002, 04:59 PM
Joe, what's ur oppinion man?

*Izzy*
Nov 17th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Spot on with Hendrix. The man is a legend :D

Also bloody amazing:

Keith Richards
John Frusciante
Angus Young
Kirk Hammett
Brian May
Neil Young

kazzmazz
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:07 PM
FruscianteRockz!

Notice how RHCP went down the crapper when he left, and started rocking again when he came back? :D

*Izzy*
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Exactly. I mean One Hot Minute? WTF was that all about???

Blood Sugar Sex Magik was genius, as was Californication. And I've recently been listening to Mother's Milk as well.

JohnFruscianteRockz!

And DaveNavarroWasWayBetterInJane'sAddcition!

kazzmazz
Nov 17th, 2002, 09:18 PM
One Hot Minute = One Crap Album, as i liked to call it.

I miss Jane's Addiction :sad:

TeNnIsFaN
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:04 PM
Oh, I love Jane's Addiction too...:sad:

Here's some of my favorites:
1. Slash!!
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Jimmy Page
4. Keith Richards
5. Carlos Santana

Car Key Boi
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by nasty nick#2
Ok here's my personal top 20 list :-D

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. Eddie Van Halen
4. Slash
5. Eric Clapton
6. Carlos Santana
7. Mark Knopfler
8. Stevie Ray Vaughan
9. Steve Vai
10. Gary Moore
11. Jeff Beck
12. Brian May
13. Joe Satriani
14. Randy Rhoads
15. Ritchie Blackmore
16. Tony Iommi
17. Dave Gilmour
18. Duane Allaman
19. Kim Thayil
20. Yngwie Malmsteen

Hope i didn't forget anyone. Oppinions?

Pretty good, but I would add Kurt Cobain and U2's The Edge somewhere in the middle of that list.

King Satan
Nov 17th, 2002, 10:20 PM
No disrespect to Nick, but their's only one true master, and he ain't on the list

Jason Becker= GOD

If you don't know him, Look it up at www.jasonbecker.com

Lola
Nov 17th, 2002, 11:25 PM
good list! hendrix is a legend, no need to talk about this. I am surprised by the fact that you put Randy Rhoades on the list! not many people know about him. He was one of the greatest indeed!

I like your list and would add more person: Robby Krieger

nasty nick#2
Nov 17th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Thanks for your kind words Lola :-)

Im a major music fan u know.

Kiwi_Boy
Nov 17th, 2002, 11:31 PM
for me......its carlos santana,i just like his style :D :cool:

King Satan
Nov 17th, 2002, 11:32 PM
Hendrix: most influential
Jason Becker: greatest ability

Lola
Nov 17th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by nasty nick#2
Thanks for your kind words Lola :-)

Im a major music fan u know.
love to hear that, but I did not know it before, because we don't know each other...;)
hope to have more threads about music... good music!:)

MartianJoeyWinson
Nov 18th, 2002, 12:07 AM
Johnny Marr...

King Satan
Nov 18th, 2002, 12:28 AM
1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jason Becker
3. Yngwie Malmsteen
4. Stevie Ray Vaughn
5. James Hetfield
6. Carlos Santana
7. Joe satriani
8. BB King
9. Steve Vai
10. Buddy Guy
11. Al Dimeola
12. Randy Rhoads
13. Jimmy Page
14. Eric Clapton
15. Keith Richards
16. John Petrucci
17. Joe Perry
18. Dave Mustaine
19. Jeff Beck
20. Eddie Van Halen

Lola
Nov 18th, 2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child

Dave Mustaine

SURE!!! how could I forget him? this man's a genius!

King Satan
Nov 18th, 2002, 01:24 AM
who's a genius Lola? me or Mustaine? lol :D

Lola
Nov 18th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
who's a genius Lola? me or Mustaine? lol :D
lol, mustaine is for sure one. dunno about you, cause I don't know you. ;)

King Satan
Nov 18th, 2002, 02:04 AM
lol well i'm not that bad a guitarist myself ;)

the name's Joe, nice to meet you Lola

DeniseM
Nov 18th, 2002, 06:10 AM
I'll vote for Eric Clapton --- once I figure out where the poll went.

Rene
Nov 18th, 2002, 09:28 AM
he is not a rock star, but a flamenco player, but with a guitar in his hands he is the best ever: Paco de Lucia, just hear his performance of the "Concierto de Aranjuez". It's marvelous!

MLF
Nov 18th, 2002, 10:39 AM
There are some great chick guitarists out there too you know!! Step forward PJ Harvey, Courtney Love and Joni Mitchell.

King Satan
Nov 18th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Rene
he is not a rock star, but a flamenco player, but with a guitar in his hands he is the best ever: Paco de Lucia, just hear his performance of the "Concierto de Aranjuez". It's marvelous!

I'll have to check this out Rene, I love listening to the Romero's from Malaga Spain play.

Here's some of my playing, it's not great, but it's ok http://www.geocities.com/clevelan7/

Lola
Nov 18th, 2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
lol well i'm not that bad a guitarist myself ;)

the name's Joe, nice to meet you Lola
nice to meet you too! :)

King Satan
Nov 19th, 2002, 12:30 AM
Hi Lola :wavey:

Did you check out my solo?

Lola
Nov 19th, 2002, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
Hi Lola :wavey:

Did you check out my solo?
no, not yet! lol but I'd love to ;)

King Satan
Nov 19th, 2002, 11:39 PM
just click on the link (on my sig)

Colin B
Nov 20th, 2002, 12:17 AM
I wouldn't argue with your list but mine would have to include Peter Green (Fleetwood Mac before they went 'pop'), Steve Hillage (Gong) and George Harrison.

Colin B
Nov 20th, 2002, 12:20 AM
Oh, add Gerry Garcia (sp?) to that.

Cassius
Nov 20th, 2002, 12:44 AM
How come Brian May is only number 12?
He should be top 5 definitely.
So should Slash and Hendrix and Satriani (and some-one else to make 5, obviously)

Barrie_Dude
Nov 20th, 2002, 04:40 PM
Well, Clapton is a guitar god! And of course BB King! But I have to make a mention of Wilie Nelson and Chet Atkins

Lola
Nov 20th, 2002, 10:29 PM
voodoo child dear, can't open the link! angry Lola

King Satan
Nov 20th, 2002, 10:39 PM
Hmm that's odd, it works when I click on it, just try it later I guess

Lola
Nov 20th, 2002, 10:40 PM
I won't give up
*wavey*

King Satan
Nov 20th, 2002, 10:45 PM
K sweetie

I'm gonna add some more stuff later

Layla
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:24 PM
I'm gonna go with Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix. Great list though. http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/origsmile.gif And I wholeheartedly agree with the addition of Kirk Hammett, John Frusciante and yes, Neil Young.

And if we move away from rock for a second, I'd also like to add my fave guitar player - Mark Ribot.

Layla
Nov 20th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by MirjanaLfan
There are some great chick guitarists out there too you know!! Step forward PJ Harvey, Courtney Love and Joni Mitchell.

Yep, if you want a great chick guitarist, I'd have to go with Bonnie Riatt.

King Satan
Nov 21st, 2002, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by Layla
I'm gonna go with Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix. Great list though. http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/origsmile.gif And I wholeheartedly agree with the addition of Kirk Hammett, John Frusciante and yes, Neil Young.

And if we move away from rock for a second, I'd also like to add my fave guitar player - Mark Ribot.

I disagree, Kirk is not even that good of a guitarist, he gets the job done for his band, but he's no great, he's not even in my top 50. I think I have friends better than Kirk lol

Colin B
Nov 21st, 2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Layla


Yep, if you want a great chick guitarist, I'd have to go with Bonnie Riatt.

Chrissie Hynde is pretty good too.

Lola
Nov 23rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
K sweetie

I'm gonna add some more stuff later
:)
:kiss:

Barrie_Dude
Nov 23rd, 2002, 04:53 PM
Les Paul

Colin B
Nov 23rd, 2002, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Barrie_Dude
Les Paul

Bloody hell Barrie, you're going back a few years!