Then EVEN a bigger gap
Jelena Dokic 3310
Monica Seles 3309
And the rest are 2500 points at least behind Serena.
Martina rounds up the top ten with an amazing distance of 3000 points behind Serena
I doubt Venus can catch Serena this year no matter how good she does. Venus can close the gap because she didn't play anything after Us Open, Serena only played the Championships, which she won.
I can't see anyone taking her off until earliest Wimbledon.
Serena hasn't played AO, while Jen won it, Monica got to the semis, and Jelena won't play again.
The question is, how many weeks has Serena been at #1, and how many weeks can she stay there?
Sep 12th, 2002, 03:49 PM
venus didn't play pretty much at all after the us open last year, so she's got nothing to defend. but I'm thinkin' VEe is not playing a whole lot at the end of this year either. she'll need some time to regroup. I do expect to see her at the year end champs though. I know Serena won the year end championships - she had other wins last fall, no?
the crazy thing is that Serena is so far ahead of capriati et al and she missed the early part of the season. so next Jan, feb she can just pick up and pick up points. frightening to the rest of the tour. however, after march, she's got tons to defend. I do expect her to be able to defend MOST of her points, not all (no one's perfect ;-)) but most....
so, really for the next six months or so, I think that only venus is a big threat for #1.
but I know there are many others on this board who know exactly how many points come off exactly when and can do a more precise job analyzing this.
Sep 12th, 2002, 06:01 PM
actually Serena leads Venus by only 198 points if you drop the LA end of year. If Venus actually wanted the #1 spot, she would enter more events and drop lil sis. By, bye Serena. Venus will crush you in 2003!! Any questions? :)
Sep 12th, 2002, 06:03 PM
things can change rapidly in tennis (right, Martina? *cough* ;)), but I don't see anyone overtaking the number one position this year or next year.
Sep 12th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Venus is interested in the slams first.
She did not like the attention and publicity associated with having the #1 ranking while serena seems to revel in it.
i don't expect Venus to chase the ranking but to make a play for the grand slam next year or 2004
Sep 12th, 2002, 06:19 PM
I think the answer to that question is 'how long can she stay injury free?' When she is playing she is unstoppable at the moment, hardly anyone is regularly taking a set off her even (only Jen, but she always comes out second best though in the final set). But she has had a few niggling injuries this year (Sydney, Montreal) , but she is fitter than before so I expect her to be less troubled by injuries (and she seems to be not troubled at all by anyone ranked #2 downwards either!).
Sep 12th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Until Roland Garros is pretty close to a guarantee.
Sep 12th, 2002, 07:51 PM
I saw on another board that she's playing four events this fall. Add that to defending no points, and Serena's gonna be finishing at No. 1 by a very wide margin.
Meanwhile, I think she could dominate the entire year of 2003. She has nothing to defend at the Australian Open, so doing well there (aka, a win) will increase her lead even more. And even if she only defends one of her Slams next year, a good showing at all four of them, plus a nice number of wins elsewhere will give her more than enough points.
Serena could be No. 1 for a year...or more.
Sep 12th, 2002, 08:57 PM
Sep 12th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Oh my, Superhero is back, what a surprise.
Sep 12th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Well lets break it down-
1. Venus- If she had played Brazil, Moscow and Zurich like she was supposed to, along with the champs, she could very well have taken the #1. but i think she needs to regroup, so she cant do it.
2. JCap- Seems lost and confused, will lose the #3 ranking after the OZ. She just doesnt know what to do with herself
3. Monica- She'll get the #3 ranking after OZ if she can keep it up. Will Monica finally get into the shape of her life and win again? Thats a good question, but shes slowly getting in better shape, shes already lost 5 pounds and shes on her way there, but I doubt she could chase the #1 ranking untill next years open, and thats only if she gets fitter.
4. Dokic- A breakdown in waiting. Has waaay to many points to defend, and probably wont do it. Shes too inconsitant, too distracted to do anything. and her #4 ranking should end this week if Monica wins Brazil.
5. Mauresmo- Although I'm not sure about the #1 ranking. She is the biggest threat to the Williams'. Shes determined, her head is there and shes on her way up the rankings. She should be #5 by notime, and by the OZ maybe even 4 or even 3 depending on Monica and JCap. Also i think she wants to win the French next year, look for her.
6. Kim Clijsters- She has the talent, but is too busy rooting for Hewitt and is a health issue. She needs to get surgery, because if she doesnt, she'll be out of the top 10 by OZ.
7. Lindsay Davenport- She could make a run for the #1 spot by wimbledon. Shes definately on her way.
8. Justine Henin- Again talent is there but not consistant.
9. Daniela Hantuchova- was gangraped by Serena. Shes on her way though.
10. Chanda Rubin- Other than Mauresmo, shes the williams' biggest threat, but right now she has to get in to the top 10, which i see happening by OZ.
Order in who can challenge the williams
1. Amelie Mauresmo-shes in good shape
2. Chanda Rubin- diddo
3. Jennifer Capriati- needs to get it together
4. Lindsay Davenport- shes on her way there
5. Monica Seles-keep working with mike and your trainer and you can do it
6. Kim Clijsters-Surgery
7. Martina Hingis- Serve, Serve, Serve
8. Justine Henin- Your on your way there
9. Daniela Hantuchova- Diddo
10. Vera Zvonareva- Look for her
Serena Miz Gully
Sep 12th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Miz Gully is gonna be #1 4eva!
Sep 12th, 2002, 09:29 PM
MMCDONALD- Interesting analysis. I think Davenport will get her ranking up, eventually, but no time soon. She has A LOT of points to defend this fall, and I do not see her defending all her points and titles and may do good just to stay in the TOP 10, it will be interesting to see if both Davenport and Hingis can make it back inside the top 8 by the Australian. Lindsay can make up a lot of ground from January til March(Miami), but she hates to play on clay so I don't see her really making up ground from April-June when the grass season begins.
Sep 12th, 2002, 09:58 PM
Venus a threat to Serena? Naw. Serena really has no weaknesses. Her First serve is a freakin' howitzer, and unlike Venus, she mixes it up and places it beautifully to keep her opponents off guard. Her second serve is totally unattackable, and can either be heavily spinned in, heavily sliced in, or pounded in with just enough spin. Her groundies are harder and flatter than anyone's (including Venus'), and give you no time to set up. Her angles are the best in the game (better than Hingis' because she hits them hard instead of lollypoping them), and she can attack the net. To put it bluntly, she throws everything at you but the kitchen sink routinely, and when the stakes are high, you will get the kitchen sink bashed upon your head. Serena is better than any current player, and right now, Venus is as much of a threat as Jennifer. (After all Jenny is the one to take Serena to three sets 3 times this year not Venus) That is the reality. Deny it all you want but it is still there.
Sep 12th, 2002, 10:17 PM
-- I just posted this in another thread --
One thing for sure is that Serena will have a stranglehold on the #1 for many months. She will have no points to lose at Aussie-03 and, therefore, can increase her lead over the rest. We can foresee for her at least another 39 more weeks at #1 (ie, 9 months, till June/03), which would take her right above Lindsay in the list below.
Weeks at #1
Steffi Graf (GER) 378* weeks
Martina Navratilova (USA) 331
Chris Evert (USA) 262
Martina Hingis (SUI) 209
Monica Seles (USA) 178
Lindsay Davenport (USA) 37
Tracy Austin (USA) 22
Jennifer Capriati (USA) 18
Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario (ESP) 12
Venus Williams (USA) 11
Serena Williams (USA) 10
Sep 13th, 2002, 12:08 PM
I think it will be till after Wimbledon at least... especially if she does better than a semis at Aus Open