PDA

View Full Version : Why do other top-10 players even bother?


V-fan
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:29 PM
After reading so many articles and posts about Henin and her succes, I get the idea the many people think that Justine is the only one who will win the big titles next season. If we would assume that all these 'experts' are right, why would players like Sharapova, the Williams sisters, Ivanovic and all the others even bother to pick up their rackets and play tournaments. To me it looks like it's already decided that Henin will win it all.....
I just disagree with this. Tennis is exciting, because other players can rise too. I'm a huge Williams sisters fan, but they couldn't maintain it over the years....let's just wait and see what happens in the coming year, because if we would all believe all the assumptions there's no point for other players to play...

Helaena
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM
ummmmm :confused:

SharapovaFan16
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM
After reading so many articles and posts about Henin and her succes, I get the idea the many people think that Justine is the only one who will win the big titles next season. If we would assume that all these 'experts' are right, why would players like Sharapova, the Williams sisters, Ivanovic and all the others even bother to pick up their rackets and play tournaments. To me it looks like it's already decided that Henin will win it all.....
I just disagree with this. Tennis is exciting, because other players can rise too. I'm a huge Williams sisters fan, but they couldn't maintain it over the years....let's just wait and see what happens in the coming year, because if we would all believe all the assumptions there's no point for other players to play...

Well it's because she is THE BEST right now. Look at the New England Patriots in football. They are THE BEST... 16-0 perfect season.

That is why they play the games, but until someone knocks her off in a Grand Slam, just like until someone knocks off the Patriots in the playoffs the media will continue to write this way.

By the way I'm pretty sure the media wrote this way about both William's sisters at a point in their careers, so I don't get your post the least bit.

Nemo_Kool
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:37 PM
say what? its because what critics think doesnt make it so and because all players have belief in themselves that they can be the best that is why!

plantman
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Well it's because she is THE BEST right now. Look at the New England Patriots in football. They are THE BEST... 16-0 perfect season.

That is why they play the games, but until someone knocks her off in a Grand Slam, just like until someone knocks off the Patriots in the playoffs the media will continue to write this way.

By the way I'm pretty sure the media wrote this way about both William's sisters at a point in their careers, so I don't get your post the least bit.

:worship::worship:

SharapovaFan16
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM
:worship::worship:

:worship::worship::worship:

That's me bowing down to myself.

Like Ric Flair said: "To be the man... you've got to beat the man!"

Ninny
Jan 7th, 2008, 06:46 PM
After reading so many articles and posts about Henin and her succes, I get the idea the many people think that Justine is the only one who will win the big titles next season. If we would assume that all these 'experts' are right, why would players like Sharapova, the Williams sisters, Ivanovic and all the others even bother to pick up their rackets and play tournaments. To me it looks like it's already decided that Henin will win it all.....
I just disagree with this. Tennis is exciting, because other players can rise too. I'm a huge Williams sisters fan, but they couldn't maintain it over the years....let's just wait and see what happens in the coming year, because if we would all believe all the assumptions there's no point for other players to play...

:awww: :sobbing: :sobbing:

SIN DIOS NI LEY
Jan 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=SharapovaFan16;12251455Like Ric Flair said: "To be the man... you've got to beat the man!"[/QUOTE]

This Flair is good :worship:

Dino?Dino.Dino!
Jan 7th, 2008, 07:31 PM
What goes up, must come down. A number of things could happen. We'll just have to sit it out.

Ninny
Jan 7th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Well it's because she is THE BEST right now. Look at the New England Patriots in football. They are THE BEST... 16-0 perfect season.

That is why they play the games, but until someone knocks her off in a Grand Slam, just like until someone knocks off the Patriots in the playoffs the media will continue to write this way.

By the way I'm pretty sure the media wrote this way about both William's sisters at a point in their careers, so I don't get your post the least bit.

Great post :cool:

Ninny
Jan 7th, 2008, 07:33 PM
What goes up, must come down. A number of things could happen. We'll just have to sit it out.

Exactly ... the fans are just enjoying it whilst she's up there :cool:

plantman
Jan 7th, 2008, 07:33 PM
:worship::worship::worship:

That's me bowing down to myself.

Like Ric Flair said: "To be the man... you've got to beat the man!"

Even if it's done "dirty"....:)

mb011
Jan 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
The author of this thread is right of course. Nothing is decided in advance. Just look at wimbledon 07.

sfselesfan
Jan 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
*Mental note to dig this thread up after Justine's AO spanking.*

SF

-Sonic-
Jan 7th, 2008, 08:17 PM
You can't blame them for thinking it though can you....

What was her winning percentage last year? how many matches did she lose?

They've got a higher chance of being right if they go with those odds than picking one out of the other 1000 players on the tour, who most certainly didn't have a year anything like Justine's. And who doesn't like being right?

dya74
Jan 7th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Let’s say there are a 90% :rolleyes:of probability that Henin will win all Grand Slams events. The others keep fighting for the resting 10%, and they are even good paid for this job:drool:

Wiggly
Jan 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM
It's like the bunch of players who are always around #150 and still plays when it's pretty sure they will never enter the top 75.

esquímaux
Jan 8th, 2008, 01:12 PM
After reading so many articles and posts about Henin and her succes, I get the idea the many people think that Justine is the only one who will win the big titles next season. If we would assume that all these 'experts' are right, why would players like Sharapova, the Williams sisters, Ivanovic and all the others even bother to pick up their rackets and play tournaments. To me it looks like it's already decided that Henin will win it all.....
I just disagree with this. Tennis is exciting, because other players can rise too. I'm a huge Williams sisters fan, but they couldn't maintain it over the years....let's just wait and see what happens in the coming year, because if we would all believe all the assumptions there's no point for other players to play...
Because bothering "to pick up their rackets and play tournaments" is how they put food on the table and clothes on their backs.

vejh
Jan 8th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Question to the thread starter? how long have you watched sport, or how long have you been on this earth?

This is how it always is. before Venus lost in 2001/2002, she wasn't going to lose (as per critics and others), before Serena lost she wasn't supposed to lose. before Graf, Evert, nav, Hingis , Pova lost, they were supppose to dominate for ever.

On the flip side, before JH won hard court GS, she wasn't supposed to win anything but the FO. Before ManU lost the premiership title, they were supposed to win everyone etc..

Before Bush won the second term, he wasn't supposed to even smell victory.

Maybe others can give examples of simple life experiences where humans couldn't foresee change mostly b/c of simplistic and narrow-minded views..lol.