PDA

View Full Version : Are the Willi's the first players to come from the ghetto?


Toineefa
Jul 15th, 2002, 01:58 AM
Or was it Zina and Lori? I can't remember if they're from the ghetto.

disposablehero
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:16 AM
Do you have to be black to come from the ghetto?

mboyle
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:20 AM
I don't think the Williams Sisters were from a ghetto. I mean it was not a nice neighborhood, but similar to McNeil and Garrison's neighborhoods: Poor but not violent. I think Richard probably made up most of those stories.

Toineefa
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:38 AM
Disposablehero of courst not silly boy. Chanda's father is a judge and her mum is a professor.

disposablehero
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:47 AM
I don't think that was my question.

Toineefa
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:50 AM
You said do you have to be black to come from the ghetto and
I said of course not. A bit too many Molsons hun? :p

RockSteady
Jul 15th, 2002, 02:55 AM
From the American ghetto's, sure, but there have been A LOT of European tennis players from very poor areas.

disposablehero
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Toineefa
You said do you have to be black to come from the ghetto and
I said of course not. A bit too many Molsons hun? :p

No Molsons. I just fail to see what Chanda has to do with it.

Rocketta
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by RockSteady
From the American ghetto's, sure, but there have been A LOT of European tennis players from very poor areas.

Wow I didn't know only black people lived in a ghetto in the US! Here I thought Southie in Boston and Hell's Kitchen in New York were Ghetto's?? :rolleyes:

Toineefa
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:04 AM
You asked if you have to be black to be from the ghetto and I said no cos Chanda is black and she isn't from the ghetto and neither is Alexandria for that matter. Herbs then? ;)

RockSteady
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Rocketta, I think you misunderstood, I was answering the original question "are the Williamses the only players to come from the ghetto". I said "in the USA, sure, but many Euro players have come from a ghetto."

I wasn't talking about race.

Rocketta
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by RockSteady
Rocketta, I think you misunderstood, I was answering the original question "are the Williamses the only players to come from the ghetto". I said "in the USA, sure, but many Euro players have come from a ghetto."

I wasn't talking about race.

Oh Ok, so you are saying the Williams are the only american tennis players from a ghetto or poor neighborhood? Actually what is the definition of a ghetto used for this thread anyway? Actually, I don't want to know. Nevermind. I'm glad I misunderstood what you meant.

disposablehero
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:13 AM
OK, Toineefa, I'm not going to explain to you the relationship between nouns, verbs, and adjectives. Ask someone else.

RockSteady
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:18 AM
I don't know what you're taking offense to, you're finding things where they are not.

The Williams sisters are the only professional American tennis players that I know that come from a ghetto.

What exactly am I saying wrong? :confused:

Rocketta
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by RockSteady
I don't know what you're taking offense to, you're finding things where they are not.

The Williams sisters are the only professional American tennis players that I know that come from a ghetto.

What exactly am I saying wrong? :confused:

Now you are the one misunderstanding me. I meant I'm glad that I was wrong about the meaning of your post! I'm glad you didn't mean what I thought you meant. Is that better, ie I no longer have a problem with your post just the purpose of this thread. :(

Toineefa
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:25 AM
Pfft@disposablehero. Your typical meanderings. :rolleyes: I answered your question no you do not and you still don't bloody get it. :rolleyes:

Rocketta a ghetto is a poor neighborhood with drug and gang problems as well as people on welfare with one parent.

Terrific post Rocksteady. :)

Rocketta
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by Toineefa


Rocketta a ghetto is a poor neighborhood with drug and gang problems as well as people on welfare with one parent.



Its called a Dictionary, You should learn to use one instead of pulling crap out your &*^^%*!

RockSteady
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:31 AM
Okay, sorry Rocketta, glad we cleared that up.

Now, what I think disposablehero was saying was that Toineefa's examples were all black, so he asked "do you have to be black to come from a ghetto?" He wasn't asking if there were black people NOT from a ghetto, he was asking if you live in a ghetto, do you have to be black.

Whew! That's a tough one, but yet another misunderstanding in this thread.

Toineefa
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Hun I've been to a ghetto! Have you? Our honours class went to a ghetto in Chicago's south side and Rocketta I was petrified!!!!! There were loads of destitute people and there was rubbish scattered everywhere and mums with prams wwith tots that looked malnourished and graffiti everyhwere. The Willi's are fortunate to have left.

harloo
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Toineefa

Rocketta a ghetto is a poor neighborhood with drug and gang problems as well as people on welfare with one parent.



Toneeifa what is the purpose of saying stuff like this? It seems like everytime you start a thread it's implying something negative about the sister's. I still haven't forgot the ridiculous thread, "What should Venus and Serena do to help poor blacks. I've come to the conclusion that you are not creating these threads to incite debate, but to get a negative reaction.

Berlin_Calling
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Toineefa
You asked if you have to be black to be from the ghetto and I said no cos Chanda is black and she isn't from the ghetto and neither is Alexandria for that matter. Herbs then? ;)
Goodness gracious Toineefa!!! How old are you?? and you dont even now sentence structure or whatever you call it. Disposablehero asked if "somebody had to be black to come from a ghetto" NOT if "somebody was black, they had to come from a ghetto". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Toineefa
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:48 AM
Pfft@Chrispy. I answered him. No is the answer. :rolleyes:

Harloo :rolleyes: The lot of you Willi's fans sound so much alike and show up at the most *opportune* times. How convenient. :eek:

persond
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Toineefa
Hun I've been to a ghetto! Have you? Our honours class went to a ghetto in Chicago's south side and Rocketta I was petrified!!!!! There were loads of destitute people and there was rubbish scattered everywhere and mums with prams wwith tots that looked malnourished and graffiti everyhwere. The Willi's are fortunate to have left.

Toineefa,

It's far better to be "thought" a fool, than to speak (type/write) and remove all traces of doubt!!! A mind is a "terrible" thing to "waste".:( :( :( :(

Dawn Marie
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:54 AM
Many wonderful people live in the ghetto who may be from different hues/backgrounds. Many people "LIVE" ghetto and some may live in a million dollar home. I think it's not where your from, but how you "live".:)

Personally I think it is good to know that Venus and Serena grew up poor and lived in a rough neighborhood, because they won't take some things for granted.


Also the BEST THINGS IN LIFE ARE FREE.:)

Sorry I didn't answer the topic .. lol

RockSteady
Jul 15th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Heh, I played against Woodrow Wilson High School (tennis this past spring) and that's in the center of Camden NJ, the poorest city in the state and one of the if not the poorest city in the country.

It was fine, I can't say I enjoyed it but it's not like anything terrible happened.

(Thankyou for reading my totally irrelevant story.)

Couver
Jul 15th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Funny Toineefa I was just about to say. So many of the posters who criticize the Willaims sisters sound so much alike, and always show up in little bunches to cause trouble.

Yikes I almost had the same thought as You :eek:

disposablehero
Jul 15th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Thank you, Rocksteady & Chrispy. My patience was already gone.

ghetto

n : a residential district of a city in which Jews are required to live
Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Julie
Jul 15th, 2002, 06:36 AM
I dont get the point of this thread, i dont see how it relates to their tennis at all. I mean, who cares - it doesnt matter where they were from, they used the oppotunities available to them during those times and became the fine examples that we see now. I believe this thread was intended ot start some racial war on the board which wont be tolerated, i commend those who also saw it and refused to be baited into it and given the understandable upset/annoyance its caused to a few people im about to close it

As before any problems, disagreements then pm me.