* Serena is the first woman since Steffi Graf to win the RG and Wimbledon double
* Serena is one of the few players on the tour now to have won a title on every surface
* Serena is the only active woman to own the biggest titles on each surface (Hard - US Open; Clay - RG; Grass - Wimbledon; Indoors - Tour Championships)
* Serena is the first woman in the open era to defeat an elder sibling in a slam
* Serena Williams is 6th on the career win lost record, at 190-42 (82%), behind Evert, Graf, Navratilova, Seles and Hingis in that order.
More to come... :p
Jul 11th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Jul 14th, 2002, 06:41 AM
I find the last fact truly amazing! Serena is truly quite amazing!
-First post- :)
Jul 14th, 2002, 08:43 AM
Welcome to the board and Serena's forum! :D
Jul 19th, 2002, 03:07 PM
....and Serena is the second player to complete the "Old World Triple" (Rome, Paris and London) since Chris Evert accomplished this in 1974 :)
Jul 20th, 2002, 03:17 AM
- At the age of 16 in only her second WTA tournament draw, as a Wild Card, Serena defeated world’s #7 Mary Pierce in straight sets, and world’s #4 Monica Seles with scores of 6-1, 6-1, to become the lowest ranked player ever (#304) to defeat two top 10 players in one tournament.
- In her 3rd WTA tournament draw, Serena beats world’s #3 Lindsay Davenport.
- In her 4th WTA tournament draw and first Grand Slam, Serena defeated world’s #9 Irina Spirlea.
So, in just first four tournament draws on the WTA tour, Serena had wins over the world’s #3, #4, #7, and #9 players.
- In her 6th WTA tournament draw, Serena defeated world’s #10 Irina Spirlea (again).
- In her 7th WTA tournament draw, Serena defeated world’s #7 Conchita Martinez on clay.
- In her 13th WTA tournament draw, Serena defeated world’s #3 Jana Novotna.
And so, that’s how Serena Williams broke Monica Seles record of being the fastest player to defeat five or more top 10 players upon joining the WTA tour. Monica Seles did it her first 33 tournaments, while Serena did it in her first 13 tournaments.
- Her first WTA titles came back to back in her 16th and 17th tournaments on the tour, when she won the 1999 Paris Indoor title and 1999 Indian Wells title. For the Paris Indoor title, Serena defeated #5 Nathalie Tauziat, #10 Julia Halard-Decugis, and # 9 Amelie Mauresmo. For the Indian Wells title, Serena defeated #2 Lindsay Davenport, #8 Mary Pierce, and #7 Steffi Graf, to become the first unseeded player to win a Tier I tournament. Also, Graf’s 20 straight wins as a finalist streak ended when she met Serena in finals.
- In her 18th WTA tournament draw, Serena defeated #3 Seles, #9 Coetzer, and #1 Hingis on her way to the Key Biscayne finals, where she lost to Venus, ending a 16 match win streak (the longest win streak for that year). It also allowed her to enter the WTA top 10 for first time as #9 after 13 months on the tour.
So before Serena entered the WTA top 10 in second year on the tour, she had the following 16 wins over top 10 players:
1. #7 Mary Pierce
2. #4 Seles
3. #3 Davenport
4. #9 Spirlea
5. #10 Spirlea
6. #7 Martinez
7. #3 Novotna
8. #5 Tauziat
9. #10 Halard-Decugis
10. #9 Mauresmo
11. #2 Davenport
12. #8 Pierce
13. #7 Graf
14. #3 Seles
15. #9 Coetzer
16. #1 Hingis.
- In her 22nd WTA tournament draw, Serena won her 3rd WTA title when she defeated #4 Arantxa Sanchez-Vicario, and #2 Hingis.
- In her 23rd WTA tournament draw, Serena won her first Grand Slam title, the 1999 US Open (the lowest seed to ever win that title), when she defeated #4 Seles, #2 Davenport, and #1 Hingis. She is one of only two women to win a Grand Slam in only her second year, the other being Monica Seles.
- In her 24th WTA tournament draw, Serena won her 5th WTA title, when she beats #10 Sanchez Vicario, #2 Davenport, and #5 Venus for the Munich Grand Slam Cup.
And so, at the end of her second year on the WTA tour no Top 5 player had a winning record against this rookie, Serena Williams. And, she racked up a total of 24 wins against top 10 ranked players at the end of her second year.
Thanks for this cybelle.
Jul 20th, 2002, 05:29 AM
Yeah! She's amazing! Then they say Venus' the goddess :p :p
Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:07 AM
Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:08 AM
:eek: she's good !!
Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:41 PM
Nice thread, WR!
Serena is awesome, isn't she!
Now BeCool, you know that Venus IS the Goddess, and Serena is the Princess, and they BOTH reign supreme over tennis fandom!:p :)
Jul 28th, 2002, 12:24 PM
THAT IS AMAZING
I knew Serena achieved a lot in 1999 but when u list one by one u get the full magnitude of it all