PDA

View Full Version : sharapova's serve out of 10


hingis-is-best
Oct 23rd, 2006, 10:13 PM
what would you rate it? :)

the cat
Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:35 PM
I would rate Maria's serve an 8. But she serves too many double faults and that's why I only give her serve and 8 which is actually still a good score. But her serve can get better and it will have to if she's to become a truly great tennis player. Placement is the key for Masha's serve. She moves it around the service box well.

RJWCapriati
Oct 24th, 2006, 01:17 AM
nine

Bayo
Oct 24th, 2006, 01:19 AM
I went with 8 too.

Good, but a little overrated IMHO.

morningglory
Oct 24th, 2006, 01:23 AM
8.5! Still a lot of room for improvement, but it's effective right now... the 1st gets some free points and the 2nd is pretty much unattackable and starts the point as neutral... either way her % could come up more and now that she's got the placement she should increase the speed

guapogreg08
Oct 24th, 2006, 01:26 AM
the 2nd serve carries me to a nine. she takes so little off, and that makes it so good. but, she serves a lot fo dbl faults and can get a little predictable in tense moments...
its a hell of a serve tho :fiery:

bis2806
Oct 24th, 2006, 03:01 AM
About 10% of us think her serve is only 1/10.

Lefty.
Oct 24th, 2006, 03:11 AM
About 10% of us think her serve is only 1/10.

Yet it got the most aces in NY.

franny
Oct 24th, 2006, 03:23 AM
In my opinion, she is one of the top three servers. Her serve is consistent, and not attackable at all. She hardly gets broken, especially in tough matches. Since the Open, I don't know how many times I've seen her save a break point or a set point with a big serve. It's just so good placement wise. I'd just like to see her add about 5 more mphs to it. Right now she can serve up to 115, but I'd like to see her serve to 120 regularly. Then it'd be the best serve in the game.

VeeReeDavJCap81
Oct 24th, 2006, 03:24 AM
I'd say a 9, out of the current top players she's serving the best.

RenaSlam.
Oct 24th, 2006, 03:26 AM
9.

Derek.
Oct 24th, 2006, 03:32 AM
8/10.

Andy.
Oct 24th, 2006, 03:35 AM
About 10% of us think her serve is only 1/10.
:weirdo: :smash:

Dan23
Oct 24th, 2006, 03:38 AM
9 without doubt...a bit more pace is about all that could be added though shes much stronger now in her shoulder/chest than this time last year :cool:

bellascarlett
Oct 24th, 2006, 03:58 AM
She's currently serving the best I've ever seen her. It's always been an important part of her game, but I feel now she's learning to really take advantage of it. She's serving very smart nowadays - very accurate, consistent, better placement, mixes it up pretty well. The dfs come if she has a bad serving day and also mainly because she does not hold back on her second serve which when she doesn't df, is great and one of the best. I love those second serve aces. :)

But what is admirable about her serve is that it doesn't (or very rarely) breakdown at the important moments. But you'd have to attribute that to her mentality I guess. But yes, it's her best friend most of the time when she's in trouble in a game.

I just verified what Marjorie said in another post: In her last two finals - the US Open and the Zurich Open - she only faced a total of 2 breakpoints; 1 breakpoint for each final. A testament to the strength of her serve. ;)

bellascarlett
Oct 24th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Right now, I'd also say close to a 9.

But doesn't mean she can't have off days when Dementieva can be proud of her. :D Lately though, she's been good about keeping the dfs to a minimum but also because her first serve percentage has been higher.

goldenboi356
Oct 24th, 2006, 04:15 AM
there's no "0" option :o

Buitenzorg
Oct 24th, 2006, 04:55 AM
7 is enough for ther

ioni
Oct 24th, 2006, 06:24 AM
9/10 :)

DavyJone96431
Oct 24th, 2006, 06:41 AM
because her serve doesn't break down under big points, I'd say a 9

brayster87
Oct 24th, 2006, 06:41 AM
5/10

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 24th, 2006, 06:51 AM
it's DAMN good, but not a perfect 10 a la Serena 2002

WhatTheDeuce
Oct 24th, 2006, 06:52 AM
9/10 seems about right

Mother_Marjorie
Oct 24th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Her serve is a weapon, and affords her free points and is especially lethal during critical moments. And it will only improve.

hingisGOAT
Oct 24th, 2006, 07:02 AM
10/10. who does it better? no one. her serve is the best on tour.

her second serve in particular is amazing. it's almost impossible to attack.

Ben.
Oct 24th, 2006, 07:03 AM
8/10. she mixes it up so well plus her 2nd serve has good kick.

Erika_Angel
Oct 24th, 2006, 07:50 AM
About 10% of us think her serve is only 1/10.

It is now 5% .... leaving 95% thinking you 1/10 voters are complete idiots.

Bis seriously though ... I just looked at your previous messages .... pretty much the whole first page is about Maria. She'd be flattered you're so obsessed with her ... but hun ... how bout getting a life? :shrug:

bellascarlett
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:41 AM
It is now 5% .... leaving 95% thinking you 1/10 voters are complete idiots.

Bis seriously though ... I just looked at your previous messages .... pretty much the whole first page is about Maria. She'd be flattered you're so obsessed with her ... but hun ... how bout getting a life? :shrug:

Bis EXPOSED!!!!!!!!!! :devil: :bounce:

So much for being a hater...bis obsession is obviously unhealthy and at this point, beyond pathetic.

Bis even posts in Maria's forum to well embarrass himself further. :help:

Kunal
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:44 AM
i would give 7

Ballbasher
Oct 24th, 2006, 09:45 AM
I love it I voted 9/10 :hearts:

MrSerenaWilliams
Oct 24th, 2006, 10:16 AM
oh I voted 8 btw....although what is it being compared to? :shrug: if it's the rest of the field currently, I'd give it a solid 9. I still think (yeah, yeah) that in terms of SERVING, Serena's is still better developed, but Maria's fitter so she can protect it better than Serena's, but Serena's serve is a better stroke than Maria's a.t.m.

frenchie
Oct 24th, 2006, 10:30 AM
I gave her a 7. It was good in Zurich but that's not always the case!! she still hits too many DFs too

It's a pretty good shot but Davenport, Serena W, Molik, Petrova...have a better serve IMO

.david.
Oct 24th, 2006, 11:05 AM
9

If shes on fire like in the UsOpen Semi and Final then def 10..

Stroba
Oct 24th, 2006, 11:13 AM
I gave it 8/10.

Like someone said it depends on what you compare it to. Compared to the current field itīs definitely at least a 9. But I tend to think 10 = perfect = something that canīt be bettered. Meaning Iīd give a 10 for a serve completely unreturnable. A 9 would be too close to perfect so I gave an 8 to Maria.

Anyways Mariaīs serve has definitely become a weapon :cool:

Poova
Oct 24th, 2006, 12:00 PM
I would say 8/10, 9/10 on a good day.

xan
Oct 24th, 2006, 12:23 PM
She's currently serving the best I've ever seen her. It's always been an important part of her game, but I feel now she's learning to really take advantage of it. She's serving very smart nowadays - very accurate, consistent, better placement, mixes it up pretty well. The dfs come if she has a bad serving day and also mainly because she does not hold back on her second serve which when she doesn't df, is great and one of the best. I love those second serve aces. :)

But what is admirable about her serve is that it doesn't (or very rarely) breakdown at the important moments. But you'd have to attribute that to her mentality I guess. But yes, it's her best friend most of the time when she's in trouble in a game.

I just verified what Marjorie said in another post: In her last two finals - the US Open and the Zurich Open - she only faced a total of 2 breakpoints; 1 breakpoint for each final. A testament to the strength of her serve. ;)

Good points. I gave it an honest 8

It's a very good serve, first and second, she's starting to get a lot of Aces and unreturned serves, and she can get up above 70% on first serves quite often in matches now, which is also excellent. But there's still room for a bit more variety and speed. It would be good to see her being able to hit 120mph occasionally, since the Petrovas Moliks and Ivanovics will be reaching that sort of speed soon.

Maria Croft
Oct 24th, 2006, 12:29 PM
I gave her a 7. It was good in Zurich but that's not always the case!! she still hits too many DFs too

It's a pretty good shot but Davenport, Serena W, Molik, Petrova...have a better serve IMO

In Zurich Maria hit 11 doubles and 37 Aces :eek: that's pretty amazing.

Right now I would give her a 9, she's serving great the last couple of months, but (for me) it was only an 8 at the beginning of this year, but that was mostly because of her shoulder injury.

Craigy
Oct 24th, 2006, 12:33 PM
9. If it wasn't for those double-faults she can throw in it would be a 10 ;)