View Full Version : Austrian girl 'found' after 8 years

Aug 24th, 2006, 09:09 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5280472.stm (http://)

Austrian girl 'found' after years

Austrian officials are using DNA tests to see whether a young woman they found is the schoolgirl whose disappearance sparked a huge manhunt eight years ago.
The woman says she is Natasha Kampusch, who vanished in 1998 on her way to school at the age of 10.

Relatives of the missing girl say they are confident the young woman is who she says she is.

The woman says she was abducted and held captive in a garage by a man who reportedly killed himself on Wednesday.

Austrian police are quoted by local media as saying the chief suspect in the abduction had thrown himself into the path of a train.

The woman has reportedly told police she escaped from a sealed garage in a house north-east of Vienna.

"She is white-pale, looking as if she had been out of the light of day for a long time, but she articulated well and could read and write," the Austria Press Agency quoted a police investigator as saying.

Police quote the woman as saying her captor had allowed her out of the house for occasional walks and had given her access to the radio and television.

Herwig Haidinger, head of the Federal Crime Office (BKA), told Austrian television he hoped to have the results of the DNA analysis on Thursday.

Austrian television said police had also used computer imaging to try to confirm the woman's identity.

Ms Kampusch's disappearance in 1998 shocked Austria and triggered a search that extended into Hungary and included the dragging of riverbeds.

Aug 24th, 2006, 09:28 AM
what a maniac!He abducted her,kept her and after 8 years he decided to commit suicide!

Aug 24th, 2006, 10:52 AM
The story in the belgian media (vrtnieuws.net at least) goes slightly different: there they say she escaped out of the car and they are still looking for the man who abducted her.

Anyway, I hope she will be able to lead a +- normal life from now on. It must be a big relief for her parents and family.

Aug 24th, 2006, 01:54 PM
The story in the belgian media (vrtnieuws.net at least) goes slightly different: there they say she escaped out of the car and they are still looking for the man who abducted her.

Anyway, I hope she will be able to lead a +- normal life from now on. It must be a big relief for her parents and family.

yea i also read somewhere that the man used her for all these years as a sex trade worker.. i cannot comprehend the kind of turmoil she must have gone through.

it prolly has left her scarred for the rest of her life

Lord Nelson
Aug 24th, 2006, 02:07 PM
A monarch was confined in jail for virtually all of his life. This damaged his mental and physical health.

Ivan VI of Russia, (August 23, 1740 - July 16, 1764), reigned as Emperor of Russia 1740 - 1741. He was born in Saint Petersburg to Prince Antony Ulrich of Brunswick-Lüneburg and the princess Anna Leopoldovna of Mecklenburg.

His great-aunt the empress Anna I of Russia adopted the eight-week-old boy and declared him her successor on 5 October 1740. On the death of Anna (17 October of the Julian Calendar/28 October of the Gregorian Calendar, 1740) Ivan was proclaimed emperor, and on the following day Ernst Johann von Biron, duke of Courland, became regent. On the fall of Biron (8 November), the regency passed to the baby tsar’s mother, though the capable vice-chancellor, Andrei Osterman conducted the government.

Fall from the throne and imprisonment
Thirteen months later a coup d'état placed the tsarevna Elizabeth on the throne (December 6, 1741), and Ivan and his family were imprisoned in the fortress of Dunamunde (December 13, 1742) after a preliminary detention at Riga, from whence the new empress had at first decided to send them home to Brunswick. In June 1744, following the Lopukhina Affair, they transferred him to Kholmogory on the White Sea, where Ivan, isolated from his family, and seeing nobody but his gaoler, remained for the next twelve years. Rumours of his confinement at Kholmogory having leaked out, he was secretly transferred to the fortress of Shlisselburg (1756), where he was still more rigorously guarded, the very commandant of the fortress not knowing the identity of "a certain arrestant".

On the accession of Peter III (1762) the condition of the unfortunate prisoner seemed about to improve, for the new emperor visited and sympathised with him; but Peter himself lost power a few weeks later. In the instructions sent to Ivan’s guardian the latter received orders to chain up his charge, and even to scourge him should he become refractory.

On the accession of Catherine II (summer 1762) still more stringent orders were sent to the officer in charge of "the nameless one". If any attempt were made from outside to release him, the prisoner was to be put to death; in no circumstances was he to be delivered alive into anyone's hands, even if his deliverers produced the empress’s own sign manual authorising his release. By this time, twenty years of solitary confinement had disturbed Ivan's mental equilibrium, though he does not seem to have been actually insane. Nevertheless, despite the mystery surrounding him, he was well aware of his imperial origin, and always called himself gosudar (sovereign). Though instructions had been given to keep him ignorant, he had been taught his letters and could read his Bible. Nor could his residence at Shlisselburg remain concealed forever, and its discovery was the cause of his ruin. A sub-lieutenant of the garrison, Vasily Mirovich, found out about him, and formed a plan for freeing and proclaiming him emperor. At midnight on July 5, 1764, Mirovich won over some of the garrison, arrested the commandant, Berednikov, and demanded the delivery of Ivan. His jailers, on orders of their commander Lieutenant Chekin, murdered him then and there in obedience to the secret instructions already in their possession.

Aug 25th, 2006, 01:12 PM
quite a few interesting factoids coming out now....this from the guardian and 'the mail'...

"A girl held captive as a sex slave in a dungeon for eight years told police of her dramatic escape from the man she was forced to call 'Master'."

Priklopil, a communications technician, had fitted a sophisticated alarm, with video cameras, to alert him should Natascha try to escape, police said. "He was a perfectionist. He was very careful. He did everything he could to make sure she couldn't get out," Armin Halm, spokesman for the Bundeskriminalamt, or federal criminal bureau, said.

Inside, the garage looked like a normal teenage bedroom. It was equipped with a bed, bookshelf, TV, and desk. Clothes were piled in a heap; nearby was a dictionary. There was even evidence that Priklopil helped Natascha with her studies. "She can read and write," Mr Halm said.

At weekends Priklopil's elderly mother dropped by to cook and clean for her unmarried son. He had only two friends, police said. Neither appears to have known anything about the girl hidden in his cellar. "We didn't suspect anything," said one elderly couple living down the road.

Police say it is unclear if Natascha had ever tried to escape before, or why her meticulous kidnapper suddenly grew careless. Last night it was reported he recently had allowed her occasional outings in the village in his company.

In the end, he was distracted by a phone call - thus enabling her to flee, investigator Erich Zwettler told Sky TV. "He found his victim had escaped, panicked, jumped in his car and drove away fast," Mr Zwettler said.

However, police also suggested Natascha might have become fond of Priklopil over her years of captivity.

Yesterday, there were embarrassing questions as to why investigators had failed to trace Natascha. Immediately after her abduction one eyewitness described how she had seen Natascha get into a white van.

Detectives tracked 1,000 white van owners in the area and interviewed Priklopil in April 1998, a month after Natascha disappeared. He told them he used the van for work. They believed him - and left without searching either the house or garage.

On Wednesday when they arrived at the house the van was still there. They also found Natascha's passport, which she had with her the day she vanished. Another neighbour, retired policeman Franz Hafergut, had also complained to the authorities because Priklopil used a .22 rifle to shoot pigeons. Police officers knocked on his door - but left.

Yesterday Natascha's father, Ludwig Koch, said he recognised his lost daughter immediately. In an interview with Austria's Kurier newspaper, he said she looked in bad shape physically and had wasted away. "She has very, very white skin and marks all over her entire body. I don't want to think about where they came from," he said. After being reunited on Wednesday they had both wept. "She told me: Papa, I love you. And her next question was, Papa, do you still have my toy car?'

"I told her I did, and we had never given it away. We still have all her dolls as well." Mr Koch said he did not know his daughter's kidnapper, adding: "I feel enormously joyful, but at the same time I feel like crying the whole time ... I just hope Natascha can lead a normal life. That she can get an education, find a job, and, who knows, perhaps even be happy. That's my great wish. I know now at last that the waiting has been worth it, and my life has a purpose."

"She was held for so long that she developed Stockholm Syndrome, the psychological condition in which captives begin to identify with their abductors. "

Lord Nelson
Aug 25th, 2006, 01:47 PM
she also looked very short when she was escorted by the policemen hidden in blankets. Possible lack of good nutrition and sunlight must have stunted her growth.

Aug 25th, 2006, 01:52 PM
This story truly makes my heart ache.

Aug 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM
This story truly makes my heart ache.

yes it is incredibly sad....but now she gets a chance to at least make positive strides, which will be very tough.

but she is alive and that is good news for everyone