It's amazing, isn't it!!! I've been hoping for so long that Iva would crack the Top 32 and get seeded at a Grand Slam and now she's done it. Even more incredibly, she has a chance to get a Top 16 seed!!!! A few good results at Berlin (d. Tammy and Maleeva) and she'll be right there in the hunt. And even if not, she could have a run at Rome and still be there!!!! Go IVA!!!!
Please win tomorrow!!!!
May 5th, 2002, 01:28 AM
iva's definitely safe - at 33 and rising this week to at least 27, 25 if she wins (subtract 2 to get her seeding). here's the big area of seeding issues:
31. Francesca Schiavone - 1008: slumping this year, does not clay, has lost i believe 4 first rounds in the past 6 weeks
32. Ai Sugiyama - 993: loss to mary pierce was not a huge upset; but has done nothing surprising good or bad this year
33. Nathalie Dechy - 969: tremendous year so far, beat a couple of top players returning to old form, likes clay somewhat
34. Rita Grande - 906: slumping this year; she'd better watch out or she'll be out soon. except for the capriati scare at OZ, hasn't done much so far
35. Anna Smashnova - 903: losing last week so early was a shock, she's been having a tremendous year; look for her to replace grande soon
36. Magui Serna - 863: likes clay and has been doing well since the season started
37. Martina Sucha - 838: like serna, she likes clay
38. Cristina Torrens-Valero - 829: if she's been slumping, grande's winning tournaments. she's beyond slumping; the clay season should have improved her chances, but she can't seem to get it together - struggled against a qualifier and then was out
39. Janette Husarova - 826: great year so far, but she likes her surfaces fast can she keep it up on clay?
grande's the 32nd seed at this point in time (7. Davenport and 16. Tauziat are not playing), smashnova is next in. dechy, and smashnova probably have the best chances of getting a seed. grande and torrens-valero are in the worst form right now of this group.