Tennis Forum banner

Serena blames Venus for poor showing in Hobart

11K views 280 replies 109 participants last post by  Denise4925 
#1 · (Edited)
Serena blames Venus for poor showing in Hobart

Former world number one Serena Williams says bad advice from older sister Venus almost knocked her out of the Hobart International today.

Serena narrowly avoided a second-round exit, winning a tight contest against Lucie Safarova from the Czech Republic 6-3, 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), and said a pre-match phone conversation with Venus did more harm than good.

"She (Venus) didn't give me any good points actually, she gave me false information so I'm going to call her back," Serena said in a post-match interview.

"She said that she played against her really tough, so I knew going into it that she was going to probably going to play better than she ever has in her life."

But Serena reserved some of the blame for herself, saying she put in a poor performance ahead of the Australian Open beginning on January 15.

"I don't think I played well at all - out of 10 I was probably a one, literally," she said.

"I just don't know how I was even able to pull it out so I just got to get that number up."

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200701/s1824077.htm

See less See more
#3 ·
so I knew going into it that she was going to probably going to play better than she ever has in her life."

"I don't think I played well at all - out of 10 I was probably a one, literally,"

These statements are really :rolleyes: :eek: !!!
Why is she underestimating Safarova like this? I mean for crying out loud, that Safarova almoust defeated her. But she gotta played best in her life :rolleyes: Yeah for sure...

#4 ·
Lol!

#5 ·
Is it me or does it seem a bit odd that Serena is blaming her sister for her poor performance?? Surely it is in the end her responsibility how she plays! Don't really like these comments by Serena. :rolleyes:

#8 ·
Man, Serena is looking fat.

ANyone have clear pics of her racquet and/or its specs?

But back to the topic. People PLEASE learn how to read.

The reporter INVENTED the headline. All Serena said was
""She (Venus) didn't give me any good points actually, she gave me false information so I'm going to call her back,"

How the reporter took this to mean Serena was blaming Venus I don't know.
It seems from the answer that she was asked prior to, if Venus had given her any tips since (venus and Lucie) had met before.

She then says ""She (Venus) said that she (Lucie) played against her really tough, so I knew going into it that she was going to probably going to play better than she ever has in her life."

This may be true considering the scoreline... or maybe Serena's movement now is almost Davenport like and Lucie's normal game is enough to push Serena at this point.

#13 ·
Well I guess Serena will never stop saying how poor she played and that's why the match was so close... runs in the family I guess

Reactions: selesfan1
#14 ·
I don't understand why she should blame Venus. Venus will never tell her not
to play good tennis because this particular player doesn't play good tennis.
The only advice I think Venus will give Serena will be play to her right hand
or to her back hand if at all Venus had played this particular player before.

#55 ·
The headline doesnt really match what Serena actually said :rolleyes:

She only said Venus gave her some bad points, not that it was actually Venus; fault she lost.
You know how the media does it. They take any Serena comment and spin it out of control.

She's officially back!:lol:

#16 ·
Lol people here take everything so seriously .. i think that serena was jsut trying 2 be funny.. "i ask venus for help but she gave me wrong information" its just a bit of fun.. theres no reason to start saying shes immature of venus is betraying her.. and theres 1 thing the williams sisters need to learn -give you opponents credit where and when its due !!!

Reactions: starr
#18 ·
Serena is fat. . .blah. . . blah. . .blah
Serena is arrogant.. . . blah. . .blah. . .blah
Serena is rude blah. . .blah. . blah.

SERENA runs the world, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 ·
Stop going on about people critiscing serenas weight.. the truth is serena is a 'big' girl and she hardly looks like an athelete and she hardly looks like shes fit enough to challenge against 'quality' players.. :)

#22 · (Edited)
Trust me. . .I have no problem with people talking about Serena's weight. She's worth millions. She can take it. What I am fascinated about, though, is the total obsession with everything she says and does. She's barely in the top 100, and more of her non-fans comment on her than her fans.

I love it.;)

#23 ·
oh dear..she really looks unfit in the pic

#26 ·
I think we are all taking this comment too seriously. I believe the comment was made tongue in cheek, i.e. sarcasm. The relationship that exists between Venus and Serena is one that is so long lasting and enduring that there is no way that they would say anything negative about the other, especially to the media.

#29 ·
"I don't think I played well at all - out of 10 I was probably a one, literally,"

:wavey:

#28 ·
Are the old days of if we loose its cos we play bad days coming back then?

Nothing to do with the fact that this is her 6th tournament in 18 months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.