Tennis Forum banner

Top 10 At the End of 2007!

2K views 49 replies 37 participants last post by  -VSR- 
#1 ·
Okay well since the tennis season of 2007 is about to start I think it will be fun to pick who the top ten will be at YEARS END :p !

Here are mine ;):

1.) Justine Henin-Hardenne (though I hate to admit it :sad: )
2.) Maria Sharapova :rolleyes:
3.) Svetlana Kuznetsova
4.) Serena Williams :D
5.) Amelie Mauresmo
6.) Ana Ivanovic
7.) Nicole Vaidisova
8.) Martina Hingis
9.) Venus Williams
10.)Nadia Petrova

Your turn :wavey:

#5 ·
Realistically:
1. Sharapova
2. Henin-Hardenne
3. Petrova
4. Dementieva
5. Hingis
6. Myskina
7. Mauresmo
8. Clijsters
9. Jankovic
10. Kuznetsova

#6 ·
1. Sharapova (Will win a slam or 2)
2. Henin-Hardene (I think she can win the FO, but will have difficulty making all four finals and the YEC again, that's a huge feat to accomplish 2 years in a row)
3. Hingis (@ least a surprise GS final)
4. Serena Williams (same, possible Wimbledon or USO if fit...)
5. Mauresmo (Will have a hard time dealing with pressure of being a defending GS champ)
6. Petrova (maybe a surprise slam final, but don't think she'll win one)
7. Kuznetsova (solid year, nothing overwhelming)
8. Jankovic (slam SF or 2)
9. Venus Williams (solid results when healthy, possible Wimbledon final)
10. Dementieva (overall good year, but no huge surprises)

*I think Kim will be in more of a farewell tour mode and not do as well...
*Vaidisova, Golovin & Ivanovic will be hovering just outside of top 10 and could replace any of those I have listed in 7-10...

#7 ·
Well, Justine can get injured quickly. She isn't a continual top 10 player. She usually doesn't even do consistently at Slams, so a top five spot or even top 10 isn't guaranteed. Sharapova, Petrova, Kuznetsova, Dementieva, and Mauresmo are the ones I think are the ones who'll stay in the top 10 the entire year. Vaidisova, Hingis, Justine, and to a slightly lesser extent, Jankovic, Safina, and Ivanovic are the others I think are realistic enough.

And to an even slightly less extent, Clijsters, because I think she's gone after Wimbledon aside from maybe one US Open series tournament and the US Open itself. So unless she has stunning results, she won't end top 10.

I think Myskina and Zvonareva have good chances at returning to the top 10; that'd be rather enjoyable, I think. Moreso Myskina, but still.

#9 ·
Well, Justine can get injured quickly. She isn't a continual top 10 player. She usually doesn't even do consistently at Slams, so a top five spot or even top 10 isn't guaranteed.
not true at all.
Since Justine stormed into Top-10 in 2001 she's fallen out of there for only two months (between Indian Wells and Roland Garros-2005).

#8 ·
Ooops...forgot about Jankovic and Kim :eek: .

#13 ·
Well, looking at Justine's Slam performances, starting in 2001, she's won five Slams, inbetween two first round losses, a second round loss, and a couple of fourth round losses. It's not horrible, not to mention several absences, but it's clear enough she can lose in the first round or win the entire thing. (And please, spare me the "But she was so young then!" 2005 Wimbledon.) So no, compared to Sharapova's continual semifinals or better aside from RG, or Mauresmo's almost constant flow of quarterfinals or better since 2002 at everything save RG, I wouldn't consider that terribly consistent. 2006 was an impressive year, however. That leads to brighter things, but I'm just saying, it was an extremely odd year concerning that. And come on, she CAN get injured very easily. I probably didn't make it clear enough I think she's going to stay top 10, but I don't see a #1 or #2 year-end ranking.

#15 ·
1. Clijsters (i think she will just want it more this year and she has very little points to defend outside the 3 slams)
2. Sharapova
3. Mauresmo
4. Hingis (Has little points to defend at Wimbledon & US OPEN )
5. Henin Hardenne (way too many points to defend)
6. Jankovic (No points to defend until rome)
7. Dementieva
8. Ivanovic (No real big points to defend outside of Montreal)
9. Kuznetsova (Big points in Miami and F.O to defend)
10. Petrova (Big points to defend come the clay season and end of the year)

i think that players like venus, serena, molik, stouser, golovin, vaidosova will be firmly ranked between 11-15...

Reactions: <Sven>
#23 ·
1. Serena Williams
2. Justine Henin-Hardenne
3. Kim Clijsters
4. Maria Sharapova
5. Jelena Jankovic
6. Nadia Petrova
7. Svetlana Kuznetsova
8. Amelie Mauresmo
9. Venus Williams
10. Elena Dementieva

#27 ·
1. Justine Henin-Hardenne
2. Kim Clijsters (won't play a lot of tournaments, but will play more freely and win more)
3. Maria Sharapova
4. Jelena Jankovic
5. Amélie Mauresmo
6. Svetlana Kuznetsova
7. Nicole Vaidisova
8. Martina Hingis
9. Elena Dementieva
10. Nadia Petrova / Anna Chakvetadze

Both of the Williams sisters back in the top 20, in 2008 they may reach top 10 or higher again...

#30 · (Edited)
You didn't have to do that and I'm sorry you had to waste your time. If you read my post at the end of the first page, and even my very first post, I was primarily saying she isn't always reliable because of how frail her health is. I know she has that virus, and it can affect her. You just saying that, yes, the reason she ended early in many of the Slams so far, or was absent, was because of injury just affirms what I'm saying. The top 10/5 thing was wrong, yes, but I don't know anyone else in the top 10 who is a Slam contender who's missed as many Slams or dropped as early in the past few years as Justine. Clijsters has with six absences, but since 2003 she's only dropped below the semifinal of a Slam twice, despite missing six Slams. When I see Justine's Slam results from 2001-on, I see a mix of brilliance and very low lows. That was the only point I was trying to make. Her virus could make her miss another Slam or make her destined for an early exit. She isn't a hold for #1.

#31 · (Edited)
One year ago people said she could never return to the very top because of her health. Now she's N.1. 'Nuff said.

Ending up early in many of the slams so far!!! Yeah right!! If you take a close look at her early exits, you won't fail to notice that these are what people call "accidents". Look up in a dictionary and you 'll understand that accidents cannot be taken as significative elements as far as consistancy is concerned. It's not like the five times she's won a slam where the only five times where she has escaped the second round.

Again, every year since 2001, most of the people always had wrong predictions for Justine in the year to come. It's always been : " she's gonna fall in the rankings blablabla too many points too defend blablabla not healthy enough blablabla " Everytime Justine has proven people wrong. I can just laugh thinking back at the old official wtaboard, where there was tons of thread about the "new generation" : Dementieva, Clijsters, Dokic, Henin. It was always the same question : "who will have the better career?", and always the same answers : everyone had Justine on last. EVERYONE.

For whatever reason which I'll never get, people have always been trying to dimunish Justine's achievements, as well as her potential futur results, and this much more than any other players. I think the probable reason for this is simply that she doesn't fit the usual expectation people have of a great champion, which includes dominating his/her rivals physically. People still don't get that a 1.67m girl could be the best player in the world. If anybody has a better exlplaination, I'll be very happy to hear about it.

#34 ·
Hmm, I agree with Ludwig in that Justine usually goes BIG at slams. She does have some SF losses, but it seems from looking at her record the past 5 years or so she either goes to the final or loses before the Semis. Hardly an awful record, but there is the possibility for a letdown this year. The only reason I cant see her in the top 2 is that I don't think she'll make all 4 finals again, which would result in some big point losses.

#35 ·
1- Justine Henin-Hardenne
2- Maria sharapova
3- Svetlana Kuznetsova
4- Kim Clijsters
5- Amelie Mauresmo
6- Martina Hingis
7- Elena Dementieva
8- Ana Ivanovic
9- Nicole Vaidisova
10- Nadia Petrova

Reactions: bokash
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.