Tennis Forum banner

37!!!

724 views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  MikeJones 
#1 ·
That is the rank of the highest ranked USA womens player now.

It is a little amazing that US women's tennis has collapsed so quickly and completely. The future looks even worse than the present.

Even though I dont really care about any of the American players, I think this collapse will have significant negative effects. The WTA will be almost forced to have more international events, and with less widespread TV coverage. If it isnt declining already, it is hard to see how women's tennis will avoid a significant decline in the United States.

So does anyone have a good reason why US TV stations wont drop even more tournaments now that the US women cant compete?

Does anyone have a guess about what percent of the TV and ticket sales come from the United States?

Does this mean that the Tennis Channel will not get widespread availability and even less tennis than there is now will be available to the average cable subscriber?

I guess I cant expect anyone who isnt a tennis fan to care, but I would think that there would be more US fans upset that tennis is trending towards a future of only a handful of tournaments a year on TV and very little widespread coverage.

See less See more
#3 ·
and to think 5 years ago the top 10 had serena, venus, capriati, davenport and seles

even shaughnessy, raymond, rubin and frazier were aroud the top 20 mark. plus harkleroad made an impression before her injury/personal probs

it's been a dramatic decline

#4 ·
Is that the problem in the US?
Tennis should be thriving.
The WTA has a marketable teen close to #1.
It has rivalries, where Justine played 3 huge matches with Maria, AO semi, YEC semi (for YE #1), USO final.
Justine played 2 slam finals with Amelie, and the YEC final.
Amelie played Maria in the semis of Wimbly and USO.

Isn't that what tennis needs?

The ATP has an alltime great. It has a great young clay courter, and 2 Americans in the top 10.

Yet tennis is dying in US popularity.

#5 ·
but every nationality likes a home grown girl to support. america is relying on venus and serena now to see what they have left

#6 ·
So rivalries don't matter without an American?
Justine, Amelie, Maria, and Kim were the 4 semi-finalists at the AO, Wimbly, and YEC.
So we have the big guns clashing for the top prizes. And it has to be locals or no one watches?
Federer played 2 slam finals with Nadal, then Roddick in the USO.

What else can people want?

#8 ·
I think this is the glory days for tennis. Or it should be.
You have a great situation with real rivalries. There are favorites, but no one is sure who will win.
Plus the Williams sisters are still around, and there is a group of young players, like Nicole, Ana I, Anna C.

To me, the men's side is awesome. Can Federer pass Sampras, can he win at RG.

I can't wait for 2007. But US sports fans couldn't care less about tennis.

#10 ·
▪Derek▪;9629728 said:
I agree.

For a real tennis fan, 2007 looks to be a good one of everyone is healthy.

For the average sports fan, can they even really tell the difference when it's a good tennis season/era or a bad one? :tape:
The average sports fan doesn't care. They haven't heard anything about tennis since the USO. They don't watch Versus and TTC.

#11 ·
If the US sports fans need an American #1 to watch tennis, then tennis is dead in the US. Because there won't be a US #1.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.