After downloading the 2006 Australian Open Semifinal (Sharapova vs. Henin-Hardenne) and finding problems with all 3 files, I decided to attempt fixing them. Briefly, the problems were: part 1 would load, but Media Player Classic took over 3 minutes to buffer it, and VirtualDub had to use "aggressive" methods when opening it; parts 2 & 3 would not load in any player or VirtualDub.
If you're interested in what I did to fix them, see below. For those who just want the damn files, here ya go:
Now the "lite" version of the technical nonsense. If you want the real nitty-gritty, PM me.
The method I used to fix parts 2 & 3 was rather kludgy and involved splitting the files into manageable 1400 KB chunks, and then further reducing the first part of those into 25 KB chunks, and lastly replacing the first 25 KB of parts 2 & 3 with a matching chunk from part 1 (this seemed to contain the header info while not bleeding over too much into the meat of the file), and doing two sets of joins to reconstruct the files. All that resulted in readable but not playable files. I then ran all three parts through DivFix++, and, because VirtualDub[Mod] complained about the VBR audio, finally saved the audio from each as a WAV, and muxed it with the corrected video, using a constant bitrate of 128 kbps (48 kHz sample rate) via the LAME ACM in VirtualDub. Pheeeeeeeeew...
All that resulted in files that can be joined together, but with a few caveats...
1. Due to the kludgy nature of the header fix, the beginnings of parts 2 & 3 show a very brief snippet of the flag seen at the beginning of part 1, followed by a not-so-graceful transition into the content proper. But it WORKED ;-)
2. The audio is out of sync to varying degrees. As this is present in the unadulterated Part 1, it's inherent to the original recording/encoding. Part 1 starts off great (see Molik's commentary at around 7m10s), but by the end requires up to 500ms boost in the audio (so -500ms "delay"). Part 2 varies between -400 to -500ms, and part 3 goes from -400ms to -550ms by the end.
If you use Media Player Classic, the +/- (so, mostly - ) keys on the number-pad make this not too tough to adjust on the fly. If you're watching on a standalone player... oh well. I know of no easy way to correct it, but have at it, as needed. Perhaps join them and apply a uniform -475ms to the audio. One benefit to joining them is that there's less audio delay fiddling required, though it's still necessary.
BTW, the video is great; seems to be from an HD source.
I've got them archived on a NAS, so they're safe and not going anywhere. If the links break, PM me.
Happy Christmas :-)