Originally Posted by drake3781
1. I have u Torrent. Can I upload only? It seems to upload/download together, and I don't see the way to do one or the other. Now that I have it downloaded completely, I wanted to upload only. But it's doing both (upload much faster though).
2. Am I helping anybody by doing this?
3. If I upload, do the peers have to be there at the SAME TIME? Can't the data uploaded be saved so it can be downloaded later? Or is timing so important?
4. When I'm downloading, I don't like it because it Uploads at the same time about 2x the amount it is downloading. I would like to either (a) Upload only the same amount I am downloading, or (b) Download only then upload only afterward. Can I set it this way? If not, it takes over 10 hours to download. And I do have a fast connection.
1. If the download is complete it won't download anymore, only upload. However there is still some synchronization going on.
3. Yes! This is P2P. This means there is a direct connection between the downloader and the uploader for every data packet and no third party.
4. If there are many uploaders this can happen; you can change the upload rate, maybe this will reduce it, but anyway, this is the P2P principle: what you download you also upload at the same time. If you changed the principles to suit only for downloaders, the system wouldn't work.
Agreed, it does take a long time to download sometimes. But sometimes it's really fast, it depends on the people sharing the files. There is a limit to your connection also you know. But the principle of P2P also says: the more people sharing the files the better the system works. Torrents are specifically designed for extremely large files (hours of video). For smaller files, e.g. mp3's, the overhead (extra synchronization data) makes the download inefficient and another way of downloading is better.
Anyway, if we put the match on megaupload for instance and everyone started downloading it from there at the same time, only a fraction of the people would receive the file in the time used using this torrent.