Tennis Forum banner

Wimbledon strawberries

1K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  Marcus1979 
#1 ·
Right now I'm eating British strawberries bought from an expensive supermarket. It has no taste. Are the famous Wimbledon strawberries really good?

#2 ·
borisy said:
Right now I'm eating British strawberries bought from an expensive supermarket. It has no taste. Are the famous Wimbledon strawberries really good?
British strawberries are the tastiest around, you obviously need to go somewhere more expensive.

#4 ·
FrenchY52 said:
You find good strawberries everywhere ..
I don't understand why people think it's an english speciality .. ?
In normal supermarkets, they sell strawberries from other countries and they taste great (but lots of hormones probably)

British strawberries are more expensive, they are small and usually taste bland.

#8 ·
borisy said:
Expensive supermarket? M&S?

Supermarket stawberries are always piss poor, unless you go organic. It urks me seeing these disgusting looking genetically modified red things in December. Ugh.

But yeah... fruit shops tend to have pretty nice ones, at least around here. And of course organic ones are always the best. :yeah:

Wimbledon strawberries are very good. I spent like £40 on them last year. :tape:

#10 ·
My Dad has a weird allergy to strawberries, he can only eat English ones :lol: Can't be Scottish, Welsh or Irish (ie: can't be British, has to be English specifically) or any other country's strawberries. He comes out in a massive rash if he eats non-English ones and we've tried him in blind testing where he didn't know where each strawberry was from and yet the rash only appeared for "foreign" strawberries ;) Must be something special in the English strawberries! :D

Oh and for the best strawberries, you should grow them yourselves! :D Likewise for the best raspberries too! :)

#13 ·
The middle European summer started too late to guarantee a good strawberry summer. All we have here in Germany for example are either weird little ones with no taste or imported ones from Spain with no taste.

I´ve once sold strawberries from a local farm in a little stall on the sidewalk. I was allowed to eat as much as I wanted...BEST. JOB. EVER! :lol:

#21 ·
Most of the strawberries sold in supermarkets in the UK are the El Santa variety. They are not particularly good from a taste perspective but the supermarkets like them becasue they look nice and keep well. The strawberry season has only just about started in the UK. Any that you eat, unless imported, will be grown in polytunnels and are not as nice as the ones grown outside. See this article and you won't eat an out of season strawberry again!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3995261.stm

This artice, on the power of the supermarkets mentions El Santa and is worth a read.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/mai...bly06.xml&sSheet=/arts/2004/06/06/bomain.html

The best solution is to grow your own but this is not practical for everyone, I know.

#24 ·
fnuf7 said:
My Dad has a weird allergy to strawberries, he can only eat English ones :lol: Can't be Scottish, Welsh or Irish (ie: can't be British, has to be English specifically) or any other country's strawberries. He comes out in a massive rash if he eats non-English ones and we've tried him in blind testing where he didn't know where each strawberry was from and yet the rash only appeared for "foreign" strawberries ;) Must be something special in the English strawberries! :D
Believe it or not, I’ve got an allergy to only Wimbledon strawberries. I come out in a nasty, all-over rash - not when eating them, but when paying for them :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.