Hey guys I will be running a Diary here, as I have had some problems in the paw: australia thread. Just to give anyone interested an insighy into how I approach my PAW's etc...
Well it has been a really disappointing performance for me in Memphis, I always seem to get bad starts since the Aussie Open 1-3 after day 1, Tokyo - 1-3 after day 1, even Paris 0-1.
Next tournament is Dubai and I'm thinking that I may actually not make a pick on the first day and at least I will not suffer too much like my other tournaments.
Here's a run down of my horrendous pick summary in Memphis:
PAW1: Morigami over Lee-Waters (0)
- Well this was supposed to be my safe pick, obviously proved to be wrong, since it was the first match of the tournament it degraded my spirits right away. I really thought Morigami was going to win but I guess I underestimated Lee-Waters too much, later when looking at Lee-Waters results I found she won a challenger recently, I definitely made this pick without thinking through my option better. A Harkleroad over Talaja pick for 7 would theoretically be more safe since I saw Talaja play real crap at the Aussie Open, oh well.
PAW2: Jankovic over Sucha (0)
- well crap has now become shit! I was so confident in Jankovic for some reason, she seemed to have everything going for her this year and Sucha still seems to be a bit inconsistent with results. I thought Jankovic would be able to out rally her for this one, it was a popular pick among others as well. Yes I was shocked when I woke up and saw Sucha won 7-5, 7-5, couldn't concentrate much in class after that.
PAW3: Salerni over Snyder (13)
– Thankfully I got this one right, most had picked Salerni but some opted for Snyder. I saw Salerni in doubles and she has a consistent flowing game, whilst Snyder seemed to be a bit stiff. Furthermore, Salerni was fav according to the bookmakers.
PAW4: Svensson over Perry (20)
- Yes this was a nice pick that went my way. Definitely worth a shot at 20, however again a popular pick amongst the others. And damage still done after first two incorrect picks.
PAW5: Gajdosova over Dulko (0)
- Ugh would have been nice if Jarmila won and would have got the 14 here because not as many people PAWed this match. Another bugger.
PAW6: Panova over Grande (16)
- No real hesitation to make this PAW, Panova may have lost to her before but Grande’s results haven’t been impressive. Glad about this choice.
PAW7: Frazier over Jidkova (7)
– Well I opted for another safe pick here, I was really confident about this, seeing Frazier’s controlled aggression in Melbourne.
PAW8: Lee-Waters over Sucha (12)
– I realized Lindsay would have a good chance here, figuring her straight ets win over Morigami would mean she is a powerful player. So thankfully my mind paid off again.
PAW9: Garbin over Zvonareva (0)
- BIG RISK here but I thought it was worth a shot. Garbin beat Dokic last year and Vera sometimes struggles to generate her own pace against low balls, also Garbin had routed Pennetta. Looking back on it, this was more of a panic reaction. I could have PAWed Dulko over Harkleroad for 18 which I did have some feelings about since they were brought up together. Similarly PointBlank told me on MSN that he was very sure Voskoboeva would beat Arvidsson, but what repulsed me from making the pick was watching a very steady Sofia in Melbourne live.
PAW10: Svensson over Brandi (0)
- First I was actually going to leave this PAW but for 31 points it was too much of a risk to leave especially since Asa has beaten Kristina before. Turned out to be so close yet so far, Asa led *4-3 in the 3rd, bloody lost the last 3 games, ugh, oh well, life moves on!
PAW11: Salerni over Granville(0)
- What can I say, I saw Granville on TV for the first time and she has solid groundstrokes. Actually looking back on it, it was a knee-jerk reaction to PAW Salerni for 22, thinking of it Granville would have won. But that’s what happens when you started doing bad, you panic and don’t think through it completely.
PAW12: Brandi over Granville (0)
- Well week has been shit, so let’s continue it this way. I know Granville beat her handily last year in Quebec, but Brandi has improved IMO, oh well – Granville is always a player who seems to ruin me in PAW (eg. I PAWed Granville over Chladkova in Indian Wells, Shaughnessy over Granville in Rome and Zheng over Granville in Quebec)
PAW13: Sharapova over Zvonareva (0)
- Worth a shot, I don’t really regret this pick. End of a horrendous week (finishing 15th!), after winning Paris.
Next tournament: Dubai, I am seriously going to try and do much better, especially since sandg is in top form!