*Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4. - Page 271 - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4051 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,893
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

She's not playing with any sort of hunger or passion whatsoever. As reactionary as it may sound perhaps there could be a slight decline because you just don't lose to this sort of Petkovic these days, you just don't.
oh yeah i guess is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4052 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,576
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Well that was a mess. She really threw away the 3rd set.

I don't think it's that bad long term (or even medium term) though, she has time to actually work on things now before Istanbul. She will be ok there imo.
ozza is online now  
post #4053 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Back in April 2017
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 26,506
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

It's just hard to decide what to make of her year. Post Doha there has just been a noticeable decline of form.

The Cincy win and the USO final sugarcoats it somewhat but she hasn't been in a very dominant position for months now.

Just get the YEC over with and prepare for a fresh start in 2014.
Jimmie48 is offline  
post #4054 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,576
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh yeah i guess View Post
I watched from 2-2 and I would have to say that's just as bad as the Makarova fiasco. Heartless, gutless, an overall disgraceful performance against Petko who really wasn't doing much. (assuming she's over her illness)

This is the sort of loss that tarnishes a season and I almost want her to not bother with the YEC.

Shameful performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh yeah i guess View Post
She's not playing with any sort of hunger or passion whatsoever. As reactionary as it may sound perhaps there could be a slight decline because you just don't lose to this sort of Petkovic these days, you just don't.
You are way too negative. You don't tarnish a season with a couple of bad weeks in Asia. If there is any time to have bad weeks it is now.

I think she will do well in Istanbul. She goes in well rested, and this will allow her to prepare better.
ozza is online now  
post #4055 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,893
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

It's very hard for me not to be negative when I see her lose in such fashion. It's the second time this type of loss has happened this season, so it's a little cause for concern but overall a YEC win will erase that.
oh yeah i guess is offline  
post #4056 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Exordes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 18,743
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

So Tokyo and Beijing became very short tournaments this year. There were some good moments like 7 games winning streak in today's match, but also some strange turns like 3 dfs twice in service games and the end of the third set was very frustrating.

Let's hope that Vika will be fit, well-rested and highly motivated in Istanbul. Haters are going to have a field day in GM section.
Exordes is offline  
post #4057 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Senior Member
 
joshum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,636
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

To be honest she hasn't been playing really well since doha. But her heart carried her through the period leading and during slams. I think now she only plays for slams. Others don't matter that much. But her form is terrible, you can't mask it when you have double digit dfs....
joshum is offline  
post #4058 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,576
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh yeah i guess View Post
It's very hard for me not to be negative when I see her lose in such fashion. It's the second time this type of loss has happened this season, so it's a little cause for concern but overall a YEC win will erase that.
I don't think it's that worrying going into Istanbul, these tournaments very rarely affect what happens at Istanbul.

The main problem is the same one she's had all summer, massive service issues. Now they may be an issue vs the better opposition in Istanbul. There has been rumours all summer that she's struggling with some kind of back injury, and with the way she is currently serving you do have to wonder.

I don't know if 2 and a half weeks will be long enough to resolve that problem, but I do think she will come in in much better shape for Istanbul.
ozza is online now  
post #4059 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,576
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSlam View Post
The serve intrigues me. Her first serve seems stronger, her second (I dont even know how) more inconsistent. Interesting. You can't take too much from this, lacked match play and looked almost tight in the latter stages. Onto Linz or whatever.
An interesting point you say. She may be going for more on her first serve, but I don't think it's actually helping her. Before Tokyo her first serve % was down like 8% in the USO Series, it's probably dropped further in Tokyo and Beijing. Given how bad her 2nd serve is, I don't think it's helping. Having to serve more 2nd serves makes it harder for her to protect it. She used to always have a high first serve % up around 70%, not so much recently (she's often in the high 50's recently).

Vika doesn't play until Istanbul now.
ozza is online now  
post #4060 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 441
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Hey ozza, it's good that some people around here are very positive; you kind of cheered me up....but yes...I think that sooner or later she will be fine
OnlyTennis is offline  
post #4061 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,932
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
An interesting point you say. She may be going for more on her first serve, but I don't think it's actually helping her. Before Tokyo her first serve % was down like 8% in the USO Series, it's probably dropped further in Tokyo and Beijing. Given how bad her 2nd serve is, I don't think it's helping. Having to serve more 2nd serves makes it harder for her to protect it. She used to always have a high first serve % up around 70%, not so much recently (she's often in the high 50's recently).

Vika doesn't play until Istanbul now.

Itīs three months now till the start of the next year with one week of tennis. At the end of the day, she needs to find a way to serve better. Players just donīt want to give her control of the rallies and as long as her own serve is this poor they have the first strike on her serve, which automatically puts more pressure on her ROS. If her ROS is not excellent (like Cincy/USO) or the opponent can serve themselves itīs trouble. At least she lost to a nice player. Hopefully JJ doesnīt piss her pants over this open draw with the YEC on the line like she did at Wimbledon.

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 25 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten three top 5 players en route to her 25 titles (#4 Radwanska, #4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

This update was brought to you by Kiki Maladenovic.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #4062 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 02:32 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 441
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

yes iGOAT, let's erase those matches/weeks...too bad we can't actually do it (
OnlyTennis is offline  
post #4063 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,576
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
Itīs three months now till the start of the next year with one week of tennis. At the end of the day, she needs to find a way to serve better. Players just donīt want to give her control of the rallies and as long as her own serve is this poor they have the first strike on her serve, which automatically puts more pressure on her ROS. If her ROS is not excellent (like Cincy/USO) or the opponent can serve themselves itīs trouble. At least she lost to a nice player. Hopefully JJ doesnīt piss her pants over this open draw with the YEC on the line like she did at Wimbledon.
Pretty much. I hope they know what they are doing with the serve in the off season. This going for a bigger first serve lark only actually works if you have a reliable second serve.

But I don't think it's panic stations, just because I think all this can be resolved with the reparation of one stroke.
ozza is online now  
post #4064 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,576
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyTennis View Post
Hey ozza, it's good that some people around here are very positive; you kind of cheered me up....but yes...I think that sooner or later she will be fine
Welcome OnlyTennis .
ozza is online now  
post #4065 of 5091 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
hurricanejeanne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: United States
Posts: 10,342
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Whatever.
If she's smart she'll try to play something before the YEC, where more often than not she plays like shit.
I'd like to blame it entirely on her being sick but let's be real: she hasn't played solidly since the French if you want to be generous, Doha if you want to be exact. Her serve has progressively gotten worse, more nervy than anything.

This is like the Middle East Spring 2011 all over again.

victoria mamarenka
lindsay mamaport
madison keys l johanna konta l free maria sharapova l saint karolina pliskova l ana "legit fetus" konjuh l naomi osaka l oceane dodin
hurricanejeanne is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome