*Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4. - Page 238 - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3556 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Junior Member
 
altheoaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 86
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

I watched the Carlsbad and Cincinnati matches again and saw substantial improvement. In Carlsbad, Vika was very inconsistent and impatient (especially against Sam). In Cincinnati, she was steadier and more patient. Her ground game improved over the course of the tournament and her return of serve was very good for the whole tournament. Her main problem (as usual) was her serve but it was much much better the last two sets vs Serena. Hopefully, her improvement continues during the US Open.
altheoaf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3557 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Senior Member
 
LUVMIRZA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,476
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

I was watching that first set against Woz, she was simply superb If she can play like that in the Open 80% of the time, the title will be hers

@Vikapower, Pome moves well and hits big often...

2012 & 2013 AO Champion - Winnerenka

2012 & 2013 USO Finalist - Chokerenka
LUVMIRZA is offline  
post #3558 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Senior Member
 
joshum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,636
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMIRZA View Post
I was watching that first set against Woz, she was simply superb If she can play like that in the Open 80% of the time, the title will be hers

@Vikapower, Pome moves well and hits big often...
yes, i followed closely carlsbad and cincy. there is an significant improvement match after match. hope the last 2 sets against serena had created some miraculous run in USO! can't wait.

it will be great that vika showed the same form from first match, but then after her rollar coaster year and her roller coaster run at cincy, it is quite possible that she can run into form through the tournament.
joshum is offline  
post #3559 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 20,410
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

That's a pretty good draw for Vika. She should have no trouble until at least the 4th round, but anything can happen. Best of luck for the tournament


#ЯКатерина

Andreas is offline  
post #3560 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Cindy and Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,999
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMIRZA View Post
I was watching that first set against Woz, she was simply superb If she can play like that in the Open 80% of the time, the title will be hers

@Vikapower, Pome moves well and hits big often...
Serena is still the favorite, but Victoria is a close second. I am hoping that those awful days where everything seemed to be off in her game are over and done with; even so, she could still get away with it the three first matches, but she needs to be quite sharp and focused from the fourth round onwards.

It seems that Serena's loss to Vika is going to act as a sort of revulsive or extra motivation to Serena. There's a thread in GM with some totally (as expected) over the top posts. If anyone benefited largely from that match was obviously Victoria.
Cindy and Kate is offline  
post #3561 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,038
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
Serena is still the favorite, but Victoria is a close second. I am hoping that those awful days where everything seemed to be off in her game are over and done with; even so, she could still get away with it the three first matches, but she needs to be quite sharp and focused from the fourth round onwards.

It seems that Serena's loss to Vika is going to act as a sort of revulsive or extra motivation to Serena. There's a thread in GM with some totally (as expected) over the top posts. If anyone benefited largely from that match was obviously Victoria.
^ my thoughts exactly, everyone over in GM thinks that the Cincy loss has motivated Serena (which it probably has) therefore she is going to 'distroy' Vika and win the title 60 60 . But the win for Vika has defiantly given her the mental edge over Serena, coupled with the defeat in last year's final i think that Vika is more motivated to win it then ever and now she believes she can win it .
cocoblush is offline  
post #3562 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Senior Member
 
VIK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,305
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

OOP for Tuesday:
Vika is 2nd in the evening on AA


http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/s...schedule8.html
VIK! is offline  
post #3563 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Igor_Biscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,348
                     
Vika second after 7pm on Ashe. Lets get this show on the road

Official bagel and breadstick server of Vikaland
Igor_Biscan is offline  
post #3564 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Senior Member
 
Natural Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In The Lost Woods
Posts: 12,922
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Let's start messing that sleep schedule up.

Just so you know: I'm better than you because my fave is better than your fave. Your fave is a bitch and a shrieking BBB. Or was it pusher? Who cares. She's a classless brat anyway. But don't you dare insult my fave, idiot.
Natural Joe is offline  
post #3565 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,192
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Joe View Post
Let's start messing that sleep schedule up.
Yes, help!
garwe is offline  
post #3566 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 09:49 PM
Back in April 2017
 
Jimmie48's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 26,511
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

I'm so happy for Dinah, not only gets she play on Ashe but night session as well!

I will thoroughly enjoy this one, there's really no chance Vika will lose as much as a set, very much looking forward to it
Jimmie48 is offline  
post #3567 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 02:56 AM
Senior Member
 
joshum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,636
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoblush View Post
^ my thoughts exactly, everyone over in GM thinks that the Cincy loss has motivated Serena (which it probably has) therefore she is going to 'distroy' Vika and win the title 60 60 . But the win for Vika has defiantly given her the mental edge over Serena, coupled with the defeat in last year's final i think that Vika is more motivated to win it then ever and now she believes she can win it .
there are always a couple of matches that leave big marks on a player's career, which they will serve as huge boosters and ones that she can draw on to pull through difficult times. i think personally :

1. 2011 miami win after which she nearly retired
2. 2012 AO win
3. 2012 USO final
4. 2013 AO win
5. 2013 doha win

i also think some of her defeats to serena in melbourne had far much impact on her. she could always play serena for one set and a half, neck to neck, it's really only this year that she has grown into patience + aggression that earned her those wins. the cincy win though, it is one of a kind. it's a come-from-behind win, which she has never done it before.

as much as i like vika, if a 100% top form serena vs vika, the edge is always with serena. but now, vika knows she will always have a chance cos nobody can hang on 2-3 hours of 100% best play. and that kind of high level play endurance, vika has come out on top in mastering it.
joshum is offline  
post #3568 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Senior Member
 
LUVMIRZA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,476
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Her first match is a night match....wow her talent has been recognizd appropriately this year

2012 & 2013 AO Champion - Winnerenka

2012 & 2013 USO Finalist - Chokerenka
LUVMIRZA is offline  
post #3569 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 07:32 AM
Senior Member
 
LUVMIRZA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,476
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshum View Post
there are always a couple of matches that leave big marks on a player's career, which they will serve as huge boosters and ones that she can draw on to pull through difficult times. i think personally :

1. 2011 miami win after which she nearly retired
2. 2012 AO win
3. 2012 USO final
4. 2013 AO win
5. 2013 doha win

i also think some of her defeats to serena in melbourne had far much impact on her. she could always play serena for one set and a half, neck to neck, it's really only this year that she has grown into patience + aggression that earned her those wins. the cincy win though, it is one of a kind. it's a come-from-behind win, which she has never done it before.

as much as i like vika, if a 100% top form serena vs vika, the edge is always with serena. but now, vika knows she will always have a chance cos nobody can hang on 2-3 hours of 100% best play. and that kind of high level play endurance, vika has come out on top in mastering it.
its like how she found out that hanging with Li until she goes away and in the mean while keeping her form to press continuosly. Unless until they are physically/athletically very strong, Serena or Li cannot play 100% throughout a three set match as they are above 30 now. It takes a toll on their body to maintain it. Also Vika does not give easy points and plays fantastic herself, it becomes more difficult for them. She found this truth quickly with Li Na as Li is not an athlete like Serena. With Serena she is slowly realizing it, keeping a full throttle in the third set is very important to beat Serena. She learnt that lesson from last year's final.

2012 & 2013 AO Champion - Winnerenka

2012 & 2013 USO Finalist - Chokerenka
LUVMIRZA is offline  
post #3570 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Senior Member
 
Exordes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 18,765
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Matt Cronin's Day 2 Picks
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/news/art...40.html?chip=1

Quote:
WOMEN’S FIRST ROUND

No. 2 Victoria Azarenka vs. Dinah Pfizenmaier

Azarenka comes into then US Open in an entirely different position than even in 2012, when she already held a Grand Slam title and was considered one of the world’s best hard court players but had yet to show that she could best a healthy Serena Williams in a big match. This time, the 24-year-old enters the tournament with two 2013 final round victories over now-No. 1 Williams in Doha and Cincinnati. Those are not Grand Slam wins, but they were critical for Azarenka’s confidence, as both contests were tight and she was the one who came up with spectacular shots when it counted. In last year’s US Open final, it was Serena who produced the magic late in the third set.

In Pfizenmaier, Azarenka faces a talented young German who qualified and reached the third round of Roland Garros. The 21-year-old is a good mover and a decent ball striker, but her hard court results have been negligible this season. Azarenka is far more experienced on the big stage and should win this contest handily
Exordes is online now  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome