*Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4. - Page 221 - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #3301 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 08:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Cindy and Kate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 5,658
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

I had the impression that Vika was limping at times in her matches against Ana and Sam, and was really struggling with her footwork. Yesterday's performance was so dreadful that it's difficult to be explained only by rustiness, because Sam wasn't even playing that good herself; but Vika was so totally out of sorts, since the first point to the last, that it crossed my mind that something was bothering her. She never looked for one moment like she could get into the match, and that is so rare for her.
Cindy and Kate is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3302 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,334
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

She should never have entered Toronto in the first place. Carlsbad-Cincinnati is a better schedule to have. Taking a week off to practice (hopefully) is a good thing not a bad thing. You don't get better just ploughing through tournament after tournament, week after week, losing matches you shouldn't, long term.
ozza is offline  
post #3303 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 26,684
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
She should never have entered Toronto in the first place. Carlsbad-Cincinnati is a better schedule to have. Taking a week off to practice (hopefully) is a good thing not a bad thing. You don't get better just ploughing through tournament after tournament, week after week, losing matches you shouldn't, long term.
Vika has missed so much time already since Doha. If she was healthy, shed play Toronto. Im 100% sure of that. So Id say this is a bit concerning that she is not over the Wimbledon injury 100%.

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 23 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten two top 5 players en route to her 23 titles (#4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

-Her fans think she had very bad luck with her Grand Slam and Regular Tour draws.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #3304 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 10:47 AM
Senior Member
 
joshum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,629
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
Vika has missed so much time already since Doha. If she was healthy, shed play Toronto. Im 100% sure of that. So Id say this is a bit concerning that she is not over the Wimbledon injury 100%.
It's possible . If Pova needs more time to recover from wimby.

Vika will not compromise USO so lets see after this week if she will continue with cincy.
joshum is offline  
post #3305 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,334
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
Vika has missed so much time already since Doha. If she was healthy, shed play Toronto. Im 100% sure of that. So Id say this is a bit concerning that she is not over the Wimbledon injury 100%.
A lower back injury unless she has just put down anything is not a continuation of the Wimbledon injury is it? I don't think this injury is particularly concerning, but we will only see in a couple of weeks. If you have a niggle, you don't play 3 weeks in a row, that's how they get worse, better to rest up for a week.
ozza is offline  
post #3306 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 26,684
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
A lower back injury unless she has just put down anything is not a continuation of the Wimbledon injury is it? I don't think this injury is particularly concerning, but we will only see in a couple of weeks. If you have a niggle, you don't play 3 weeks in a row, that's how they get worse, better to rest up for a week.
I think she could have hurt anything between the knees and the belly button. There was a lot of uncommon unexpected strain on her knees, thighs, groin, back and hips in that fall. I dont think Vika plays that bad on a hardcourt, if she is healthy. We have seen her being blown off the court occasionally, but this was something different. Stosur only played/served really well on the biggest points. In between it was just a bad match. Its also unusual for Vika to make two UEs per game on hardcourts over a whole match. Especially against somebody like Stosur, wholl either hit winners/force errors or make quick mistakes herself. Its not like Stosur was at a particularly high level overall like at the US Open last year. Well have to wait and see.

- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a reigning world #1.
- Caroline Wozniacki has never beaten a top 5 player at a major.
- Caroline Wozniacki has not beaten a top 3 player en route to any of her 23 titles.
- Caroline Wozniacki has beaten two top 5 players en route to her 23 titles (#4 Zvonareva and #5 Schiavone)

-Her fans think she had very bad luck with her Grand Slam and Regular Tour draws.
Patrick345 is offline  
post #3307 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,334
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick345 View Post
I think she could have hurt anything between the knees and the belly button. There was a lot of uncommon unexpected strain on her knees, thighs, groin, back and hips in that fall. I dont think Vika plays that bad on a hardcourt, if she is healthy. We have seen her being blown off the court occasionally, but this was something different. Stosur only played/served really well on the biggest points. In between it was just a bad match. Its also unusual for Vika to make two UEs per game on hardcourts over a whole match. Especially against somebody like Stosur, wholl either hit winners/force errors or make quick mistakes herself. Its not like Stosur was at a particularly high level overall like at the US Open last year. Well have to wait and see.
On the flip side you could cite she was similarly dreadful vs Makarova after a long lay off in Madrid.
ozza is offline  
post #3308 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,334
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Having spoken to TheBoiledEgg, it comes clearer why you would withdraw from Toronto with even the slightest niggle. There is no penalty to withdrawing from Toronto, no fine, no zero pointer. Vika took a wildcard, so it wasn't a commitment event, thus there are no penalties for withdrawing.
ozza is offline  
post #3309 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Dghyletta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 105
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor_Biscan View Post
Even if its minor she shouldn't be getting so many injuries from so little play, she may need to think about whther her physical trainers are doing their job properly
Yes, same words I post on russian forum a few minutes ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLESILAS View Post
but Vika was so totally out of sorts, since the first point to the last, that it crossed my mind that something was bothering her. She never looked for one moment like she could get into the match, and that is so rare for her.
I agree, in final sometimes her face was wrinkled as she felt bad.
I am really upset and confused from this situation. First time when I don`t understand anything.
From one side she did not get а good tournament practice. If she felt healthy I am sure (or not sure) she must play Toronto and Cincy both. She understand that she is not prepare well, she could lost in Toronto early and then had a another chance to play before USO.It is injury.
From other side she could solve that she is prepare normal and can train more before Cincy and of course USO. And she can`t play 3 tournaments in a row.
Anyway I tend to variant with injury.
Dghyletta is offline  
post #3310 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 01:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Vikapower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,327
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Victoria really needs match-play at the moment -; don't think she's injured but she probably thinks she needs much more practice ; But we know Victoria hates to give nasty displays, is a perfectionist and for sure she'll own her practice sessions by giving it her very best ; I think differently on the way to go...

But she knows what works for her better so we'll see how things go... to be honest, 2013 is really a mess - all these interruptions due to injuries and/or else is really messing up her whole rhythm all the freaking time (a similar scenario to Clijsters pre-retirement)...

Cincinnati is one of, if not, Victoria's worst Premier 5 (certainly due to the super-fast courts) - can't even remember the last time she even made at least QF there if she ever did in her history, this tournament just doesn't seem to suit her game... I really don't expect much out of this event and it looks like Carlsbad will probably be her only preparation for the US Open.

Sumyk and Victoria used Carlsbad as a gauge to see where Victoria was at with her game but the display from yesterday and for most of the tournament honestly certainly does indicate that she's not fully ready for competition yet... anyways, they know their stuff but hopefully she'll be able to get couple more matches under her belt - but this is just a wishful thinking, as a fan, to reassure myself after Carlsbad that she'll just be 100% game-wise for the US Open...

But I have a feeling, she'll skip the whole US Open series - again.
Vikapower is offline  
post #3311 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Natural Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: In The Lost Woods
Posts: 12,922
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dghyletta View Post
I agree, in final sometimes her face was wrinkled as she felt bad.
I am really upset and confused from this situation. First time when I don`t understand anything.
From one side she did not get а good tournament practice. If she felt healthy I am sure (or not sure) she must play Toronto and Cincy both. She understand that she is not prepare well, she could lost in Toronto early and then had a another chance to play before USO.It is injury.
From other side she could solve that she is prepare normal and can train more before Cincy and of course USO. And she can`t play 3 tournaments in a row.
Anyway I tend to variant with injury.
Yeah, I guess it's possible that she just thinks that her current level of play is not high enough to have any chance in Toronto. She might think it's better to keep practicing hard and have a proper warm-up tournament in Cincy (or even skip that too and focus only on the US Open like last year) than losing early in Toronto. However, that doesn't really explain why her game declined throughout the tournament which might be the sign of an injury. Only she and her team will know the reason...My guess would be that the lack of rhythm and match-play combined with some slight pain (for whatever reason) led to this decline.
Natural Joe is offline  
post #3312 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
ozza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,334
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Didn't TF experts claim Vika would never do well off court ?

#4 Victoria Azarenka
Total earnings: $15.7 million
Prize money: $6.7 million
Endorsements: $9 million

Quote:
Azarenka's $7.9 million prize money haul in 2012 was a single year record for a female athlete in any sport (we credit her with $6.7 million between June 2012 and June 2013). She won her second straight Australian Open in January. Endorsement partners include Nike, Wilson, American Express, Six Star Pro Nutrition, InstaForex and Citizen Watch. Red Bull inked her to a deal in January, which made her the first tennis player sponsor for the beverage giant.
I think that's like $6m in endorsements inked in a year.
ozza is offline  
post #3313 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
LUVMIRZA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 11,452
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Did Vika come back before recovering preoperly from the Wimbly fall? I am a bit scared now

2012 & 2013 AO Champion - Winnerenka

2012 & 2013 USO Finalist - Chokerenka
LUVMIRZA is offline  
post #3314 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
joshum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,629
                     
Re: *Vika Azarenka Cheering Thread* - Vikalume 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozza View Post
Didn't TF experts claim Vika would never do well off court ?

#4 Victoria Azarenka
Total earnings: $15.7 million
Prize money: $6.7 million
Endorsements: $9 million



I think that's like $6m in endorsements inked in a year.
She attracts different kind of endorsers. She is funky, cool and with an edge, unlike all the princesses in the tour. One of the kind too
joshum is offline  
post #3315 of 5091 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Senior Member
 
Igor_Biscan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,348
                     
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikapower View Post
Victoria really needs match-play at the moment -; don't think she's injured but she probably thinks she needs much more practice ; But we know Victoria hates to give nasty displays, is a perfectionist and for sure she'll own her practice sessions by giving it her very best ; I think differently on the way to go...

But she knows what works for her better so we'll see how things go... to be honest, 2013 is really a mess - all these interruptions due to injuries and/or else is really messing up her whole rhythm all the freaking time (a similar scenario to Clijsters pre-retirement)...

Cincinnati is one of, if not, Victoria's worst Premier 5 (certainly due to the super-fast courts) - can't even remember the last time she even made at least QF there if she ever did in her history, this tournament just doesn't seem to suit her game
This thing about her not liking fast courts is a bit of a myth. She has an excellent indoor record and recently at wimbledon. She has good footwork and likes to play aggressively. She just hasnt played cincinatti since she hit her current level. I'm sure she'll play there and she'll be second-favourite to win the title.

She's just being careful, there's no reason to play 3 weeks in a row if she has a minor injury. It must be a new injury because if it was carried over from wimbledon she wouldnt have asked for the toronto WC. So she must have felt perfect at that time to have planned on playing 3 weeks in a row. Hence my concern about how her team are looking after her between and before matches.

Official bagel and breadstick server of Vikaland
Igor_Biscan is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

Registration Image

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome