Tennis Forum banner

Hingis Says Quest for French Open Fuels Her Comeback

2K views 64 replies 49 participants last post by  CrossCourt~Rally 
#1 ·
PARIS (March 6) - Martina Hingis says she came out of retirement for the French Open, the only Grand Slam title she is yet to win.

The former No. 1, who has won three Australian Opens, one Wimbledon and one U.S. Open, returned to tennis in January after foot, heel and ankle injuries forced her to retire three years ago.

"I truly hope that I will be in Paris to win," the Swiss star said in Monday's edition of French sports newspaper L'Equipe. "Returning to Roland Garros to try to win the only Grand Slam title that I am missing was one of the principal motivations for my comeback."

The 25-year-old Hingis said she will finalize her preparations for the May 28-June 11 French Open after she has competed at Indian Wells and Miami.

Hingis, who spent 209 weeks at No. 1 in five stints, reached the quarterfinals at this year's Australian Open and won the mixed doubles with Mahesh Bhupathi.

In 1997, Hingis won three of the four majors but lost the French Open final to Iva Majoli 6-4, 6-2.

#8 ·
Chrissie-fan said:
Maybe she should ask McEnroe or Connors for advise. Those guys played great in a hostile atmosphere.
You can only learn so much - the rest comes from inside. That's why there people who are called hot heads and there others. I hope it works out for Martina, but if she doesn't win, I hope it's Sveta who wins FO.

#11 · (Edited)
What will happen if she plays Amelie or Mary there?

The linemen will change, the crowds wont be the same, and the same attitude!
It will be tough to play local players there! But wont be like that in 1999 for sure. :cool:

Best of luck to Matina!! :bounce:
Bonne chance!! :bounce:

#16 ·
tenn_ace said:
true, although when you egt booed by 15,000 people, you do really need a very superthick skin.
Well, it happened to Serena, and Serena actually won the whole tournament.

#17 ·
It's good that Martina has set goals for herself and is motivated. :clap2:

however, allez Momo :devil:

Reactions: Stamp Paid
#18 ·
hablovah said:
It's good that Martina has set goals for herself and is motivated. :clap2:

however, allez Momo :devil:
Hors de question ;)

#22 ·
If there is any cosmic justice in the world of tennis, Martina will win the FO and Jenny C will come back this summer and win the USO!

#24 ·
SHe can definitely do it with a good draw.
I mean, someone like Sveta can take out Justine and play inconsistent the next round. A little bit of luck is needed. But if Likhoveseva (sp) can make the semis, then Hingis can too.

#25 ·
If Justine can^t win the FO, I would like to see Martina win it. I was rooting for Martina against Graf, but after throwing her temper tantrum, I turned against her as did the FO crowd. If she plays against Amelie or Mary, naturally, they will root for them but will be fair. I am sure she will be greeted with respect and affection at the FO and everywhere else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.