what are the tiebreaks in a case of tie? - TennisForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 246
                     
what are the tiebreaks in a case of tie?

does anyone knows?
amirbachar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 9th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 101
                     
Re: what are the tiebreaks in a case of tie?

Good question; I wondered the same thing. I finally found the answer.

Giving credit to the site where I found it:
http://tennis.quickfound.net/wta_res...ults_2006.html

The summary:

"If players win the same number of matches, the winner of their head-to-head match in the round robin is placed higher in the standings. Any ties will be resolved first by the percentage of sets won, then by the percentage of games won"

So basically, J H-H is in. Petrova's out (even if Momo loses to J H-H) because her 3-4 sets value = 42.8%, while Hingis' 4-5 = 44.4%. If Momo loses to J H-H, she'd be 3-5 at best, which is 37.5%. IN SHORT - Momo must beat J H-H to move on; otherwise, Hingis moves on.


The RED group is still up in the air. It's possible for Masha, Kuzzy, and Kim to end in a 3-way tie (2-1, and 4-2 in sets); it's ALSO possible for Kuzzy, Kim, and Elena to have a 3-way tie for 2nd place (1-2, and 2-4 in sets)... and I don't feel like going through all those possible permutations.
AtypicalMale is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 01:00 AM
country flag evd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 121
                     
Re: what are the tiebreaks in a case of tie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtypicalMale View Post
Good question; I wondered the same thing. I finally found the answer.

Giving credit to the site where I found it:
http://tennis.quickfound.net/wta_res...ults_2006.html

The summary:

"If players win the same number of matches, the winner of their head-to-head match in the round robin is placed higher in the standings. Any ties will be resolved first by the percentage of sets won, then by the percentage of games won"

So basically, J H-H is in. Petrova's out (even if Momo loses to J H-H) because her 3-4 sets value = 42.8%, while Hingis' 4-5 = 44.4%. If Momo loses to J H-H, she'd be 3-5 at best, which is 37.5%. IN SHORT - Momo must beat J H-H to move on; otherwise, Hingis moves on.


The RED group is still up in the air. It's possible for Masha, Kuzzy, and Kim to end in a 3-way tie (2-1, and 4-2 in sets); it's ALSO possible for Kuzzy, Kim, and Elena to have a 3-way tie for 2nd place (1-2, and 2-4 in sets)... and I don't feel like going through all those possible permutations.
Question:

If Justine defeats Amelie, then JH is 3-0 and the rest are all 1-2.

Since Amelie beat Martina, and Martina beat Nadia in the head-to-head, doesn't that mean Amelie is already in the semis?

Maybe I'm misreading the part about the head to head competition?
evd is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 01:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Buitenzorg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Domain
Posts: 41,797
                     
Re: what are the tiebreaks in a case of tie?

Buitenzorg is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 01:11 AM
country flag evd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 121
                     
Re: what are the tiebreaks in a case of tie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evd View Post
Question:

If Justine defeats Amelie, then JH is 3-0 and the rest are all 1-2.

Since Amelie beat Martina, and Martina beat Nadia in the head-to-head, doesn't that mean Amelie is already in the semis?

Maybe I'm misreading the part about the head to head competition?
More on the head-to-head ordering:

If Maria beats Svetlana, and Elena beats Kim, then there's a 3 way tie.

However, the head-to-head ordering cannot be done, since:

ED def KC (does this go here or ... )
KC def SK
SK def ED
ED def KC (... does it go here? )
evd is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 101
                     
Re: what are the tiebreaks in a case of tie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evd View Post
Question:

If Justine defeats Amelie, then JH is 3-0 and the rest are all 1-2.

Since Amelie beat Martina, and Martina beat Nadia in the head-to-head, doesn't that mean Amelie is already in the semis?
No, because you've got to add the 3rd part, which is left out - Nadia beat Amelie. The three of them cancel one-another out in head-to-head, so it has to move to the percentages, in that scenario occurred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evd View Post
More on the head-to-head ordering:

If Maria beats Svetlana, and Elena beats Kim, then there's a 3 way tie.

However, the head-to-head ordering cannot be done, since:

ED def KC (does this go here or ... )
KC def SK
SK def ED
ED def KC (... does it go here? )
It doesn't matter where the ED - KC result would be placed. You want to think of the 3-way h-2-h as being circular, instead of being linear.

If your scenario were to happen... Elena def Kim, who def Kuzzy, who def Elena... and it all goes around in the circle. The three of them are 1-1 against each other, so... the same as above... they'd cancel one-another out as far as h-2-h goes.

This ALSO holds true if Kuzzy beats Masha, and Kim beats Elena... poor Elena would go home 0-3 (again), and Kuzzy, Masha, and Kim would all be tied at 2-1. The circle would happen yet again... Kuzzy def Masha, who def Kim, who def Kuzzy. All would be 1-1 against one-another amongst the trio, and would thus cancel each other out in that regard!! It'd be down to set percentages in THIS case, too.

What I DON'T know... If Kuzzy, Masha, and Kim all end-up at 2-1... AND all three have set counts of 4-2 (it IS possible!!)... *LOL!!* TALK about anarchy!!! I seriously believe that it could come down to a 'drawing of straws'!!! Seriously!!

Equally, it's possible for Kuzzy, Kim, and Elena to all end up 1-2, and 2-4 in set counts, causing SIMILAR anarchy to what I just described above!!
AtypicalMale is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TennisForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome