I was at the Rogers Cup yesterday for the 1st day of qualifications. Here are some of my thoughts and comments
- First mach I saw was Perry vs Gullickson (Perry won 6-1, 6-4). Not much happened there
There were very few people watching....and not much af an atmosphere. Shenay was pretty solid throughout the match...except for a small lapse in concentration when leading 5-1 in the 2nd...She let Carly came back to 5-4..with some unreturned serves and untypical errors. However, she was clearly the dominant player...and Carly simple doesn't have anything to really hurt her.
- The second match I saw was Jidkova vs Foretz (Foretz won 6-2, 3-6, 6-4). I was shocked when I saw Alina coming on court - she has lost a lot of weight. Mind you, she has never been bulk by any stretch of the imagination, but she used to have a bigger muscular mass and yesterday, she looked so fragile...For some reason, I've always been a fan of hers...and it was kinda sad to see her this way. Stéphanie was with her coach - who is EXTREMELY HOT by the way
- anybody knows who he is ???
. This match was the BEST I've seen yesterday - by a mile. In the 1st set, Steph was firing winners after winners...and Alina just didn't find her groove at all. In the 2nd set, Steph started missing more...and you could now feel that the match could go either way. The 3rs set was just amazing - lots of great rallies and winners...and you could feel the tension, especially when Alina saved 3-4 MP's at 5-4...I was happy Steph won...but sad to see Alina (all alone - she didn't seem to have anyone with her) going back to her chair after the match and text-messaging something (probably the score) on her cell phone. It was kinda sad. Hope she gets back up the rankings soon. After all, she is MY favorite Russian
- The 3rd match I saw was K. Bondarenko vs Ospina (Bondarenko won 6-1, 6-0). I had never heard of Ospina before...and now I sort of know why
Oh well....Katerina is VERY good. I had never seen her play either before...but she has a great serve, and has a nice game overall. Not much I can say about this match..except that I'm pretty sure Diana hasn't won more than 5 points in the 2nd set
- Finally, I went to see Osterloh vs Salerni (Salerni won 6-3, 6-3). I am a fan of Lilia's ..and this match was painful to watch. Lilia didn't seem in good spirits at all..and had a lot of problems with her serve. She also had a lot of forehand errors...(into the net)...and just didn't seem to be able to keep the ball in play. Maria-Emilia, on the contrary, was very consistent from the back of the court...and didn't really have to do much to win points. Her family/coach/friends....were there (they were about 5-6) and kept on cheering. Overall, a dispponting match for a Osterloh fan...but I'm glad I saw Salerni for the first time in Montreal.
That's it - I'm going again today for the final round of quallies, and I'm planning to go see Obziler vs Foretz and Savchuk vs Black......among others
PS : One last little thing - I was walking towards Coiurt 1 ... and Jamea Jackson was there, doing some little workout with her coach..and she nearly hit me while stretching, so she turned around, looked at me and said "I'm so sorry"" with a big smile on her face.....
I am now officially a fan of hers