Tennis Forum banner

Can get between Venus and Serena before the US Open?

932 views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  TeeRexx 
#1 ·
If Jen has a great summer can she become #2 in the world or does Venus have it locked up?

#3 ·
It seems to me, that Jenn should...

:D Jenn intimated that the Sisters "planned" their rise to the top of the rankings, so it seems to me she should take a page from their book on how to get back on top!!!:D :D

I mean, how difficult could it be??? Lindsay and Martina are still out with injuries and will be back soon, so she'll have some help with handling the Williamses!!!:) :)

#5 ·
But, doesn't monica has a lot of points to defend b/n now and US open; I thought it was during this time last year that she beat serena, martina (x2) and jenn. Meanwhile, I don't remember jenn doing that great during this stretch except for being finalist at pilot pen and canadien open. So, jenn could always improve.

#7 ·
eta psi----

Here's Monica's record including the us open last year

Stanford, Ca--SemiFinal
San Diego, Ca---Finals
Los Angeles--Finals
Toronto---SemiFinals
US. Open----R16

Here is Jenn's record......

Stanford-------QF
Toronto----Finals
New Haven----SemiFinals
US. Open-----SemiFinals

They both have a lot to defend! Monica has one more tournament to defend then Jennifer but Jennifer has clearly said her goal is not to win smaller tournaments but to peak for the Slams?? So it should be close! Monica is only defending a R16 from the US Open and Jenn has to get back to the SemiFinals.

#8 ·
thanks, infiniti and rocketa. So, if we consider their records before the US-open, it appears monica has a lot more to defend than jenn; monica also had more quality points, I believe, from beating a number of top players. So, I don't think monica will catch up with jenn in the rankings before the USO.

#9 ·
Jenn has little chance of getting the number 2 ranking unless Venus is injured. She can do it in fall though, but she'll have to start winning titles... and Monica is really close behind too.

#10 ·
Jennifer will not pass Venus before the US Open, but she's not losing #3 to Monica anytime soon.

Jennifer currently is at 3947 and Monica is at 3906.

Monica is defending 975 points until the US Open:

Stanford 108
San Diego 358
LA 310
Toronto 199

Jennifer is defending 481 points until the US Open:

San Diego 81
Toronto 252
New Haven 148

Monica would have to better her incredible run last summer and Jennifer can definitely do better than last summer.

#12 ·
Very correct, Rocketta. Monica should bumb Capriati down to 4th before the Open and may then have to fight off Clijsters to keep from dropping to 5th.

Any, VENUS is locked in the 2nd spot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.